Hillwalking Thread

Thinking of doing Ben Ledi tomorrow, anyone been near Callander recently? Any snow around?

Good program on last night about Ben Nevis, guy did the ledge route. Looks a bit mental but doable with an experienced climber.

Think it would be on iplayer. Secret Britain.

Did the three Munros on the Beinn a' Ghlo route yesterday. Getting from the second to 'Ghlo itself seemed rather difficult due to a snow cornice the whole length of the upper slope to get down. A (probably stupid) slide down the snow slope at an often uncomfortable speed towards scree solved the problem in the end.

Eta: That was my first hill of the year so I'm suffering a bit today after 14 miles of up and down to ease me back in.

Love it up there, but the length of the ridge walk plus the long (for me) walk in from the train station is a bit of a killer. Walk alongside the Tilt is a favourite though.

Thinking of doing Ben Ledi tomorrow, anyone been near Callander recently? Any snow around?

Good program on last night about Ben Nevis, guy did the ledge route. Looks a bit mental but doable with an experienced climber.

Ledi summit was covered last time I saw it on Monday I think but it's been warmer since then. More to come at weekend I imagine.

Ok cheers, might leave it and do something closer. Was up Ben Cleuch last week and it was clear but Lawers range looked pretty covered still.

Did You go up the Tillicoultry side? I'm looking to go up the glen and see what kind of state it's in.

Done Ben Ledi on Easter Sunday with my 6 year old son. There was a bit of snow on it but it's easy to miss it all and we got up with no problems.

Ben Vane today and it was glorious. A lovely wee climb, steep for most of it. Great views of Loch Lomond and the rest of the Arrochar Alps.

There will be snow on the summit and a good possibility of more over the weekend judging by current weather reports. It can be pretty dangerous coming off Ben Nevis if the visability is poor and your navagational skills aren't up to much.

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/ben-nevis-navigation.asp

I don't have any navigational skills.

I'm planning on going up Ben Nevis for the second time on Saturday, but the previous time I went in July with a large group. I'm taking a friend with me who has never done anything similar.

I'm just sticking to the well worn route..........is there anything I need to consider or worry about from those who are experienced?

Yes. As mentioned previously you need to be able to walk a bearing to safely negotiate the summit if visibility is poor and if snow covers the path. Both are a distinct possibility this weekend.

Thousands wing it every year and are fine. Some walk straight into 5 finger gully. There is still someone unaccounted for up there from a month or two back who will probably slither out of the gully when the snow melts.

Its up to you but given the forecast http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast.asp?fa=WH&d=2015-04-26 I would look at alternative plans.

Pap of Glencoe might be a nice alternative if you are up that way anyway.

Yes. As mentioned previously you need to be able to walk a bearing to safely negotiate the summit if visibility is poor and if snow covers the path. Both are a distinct possibility this weekend.

Thousands wing it every year and are fine. Some walk straight into 5 finger gully. There is still someone unaccounted for up there from a month or two back who will probably slither out of the gully when the snow melts.

Its up to you but given the forecast http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast.asp?fa=WH&d=2015-04-26 I would look at alternative plans.

Pap of Glencoe might be a nice alternative if you are up that way anyway.

5 finger gully doesn't sound good.

We're going to head up and just walk until we feel its not safe (i.e no-one else around or can't see the path).

My mate is about 22 stone and doesn't exercise so I doubt he will make it to the top. Will speak to the guys in the visitor centre when I get there.

5 finger gully doesn't sound good.

We're going to head up and just walk until we feel its not safe (i.e no-one else around or can't see the path).

My mate is about 22 stone and doesn't exercise so I doubt he will make it to the top. Will speak to the guys in the visitor centre when I get there.

An interesting alternative to summiting is to take a left at the half way lochan and walk round into coire leis to look at the cliffs of the North face.

A fantastic view of the mountain that 99% of visitors never even see.

An interesting alternative to summiting is to take a left at the half way lochan and walk round into coire leis to look at the cliffs of the North face.

A fantastic view of the mountain that 99% of visitors never even see.

Not sure if you're whooshing me but every single map etc I've saw strictly says do not turn left there.

Or do you mean turn left but dont walk up and just have a look?

Not sure if you're whooshing me but every single map etc I've saw strictly says do not turn left there.

Or do you mean turn left but dont walk up and just have a look?

They say don't turn left there as its not the way to the top. I am suggesting an alternative to going to the top. As you say just to go and look at the north face and cliffs and then head back the way you came.

You actually can go that way to get to the summit by climbing carn mor dearg and getting to the Ben via the arete which is one of Scotland's great mountain days.

Was up the Drumochter hills last Wednesday, they are a bit on the boring side, but no matter when you get views like this...

attachicon.gif1430043062746.jpg

I love those hills for some inexplicable reason. Repeated them in November. The walk back to Balsporran is an unwelcome pain in the arse though.