Madeleine Mccann Missing Girl

They didn't ditch the weans. They left them in a room in the complex with the main entrance visible to them whilst they had a meal. They, and other parents staying there, took turns going round and checking on the weans regularly. They weren't getting pished. They had a drink with their meal. This is pretty normal behaviour for most folk on holiday. Unless you think parents of children on holiday all stay in the hotel room as soon as the kids are bed? They don't. They relax by the pool, or have a meal, or sit on the balcony or a number of other things while regularly checking on the weans. They done something absolutely no different to millions of parents all the time. I've no doubt they regret their choice but let's not mark them up as careless parents who were out getting sozzled and abandoning their children in a foreign land so they could down a few glasses of merlot in peace.

And I am aware it was my phrase. Your phrase was "leaving them and going to the pub". Both are not indicative of what actually happened. They didn't have their eyes on the weans 24/7 and, also, they never went to the pub.
It's absolutely not normal for parents to leave kids that age on their own and go for drinks and a meal.

Anyone saying that is trying to justify their own sketchy behaviour.

Just now, Dee Man said:

How do you know how pished or not they were?

A combination of the statements by the McCanns, the people they were with, the staff and the thoughts of the police who turned up on the scene. There has never been any allegations they were steaming has there?

They didn't ditch the weans.*

This is pretty normal behaviour for most folk on holiday.**

Unless you think parents of children on holiday all stay in the hotel room as soon as the kids are bed? They don't.***

* They did.

** I sincerely hope that isn't the case/doubt it.

*** If they don't they are as neglectful as the McCann's then. Sitting on a balcony is fine as it's usually just an extension of the room. Leaving kids unattended to go sit by a pool/go for a meal is neglectful behaviour. It's frightening you think otherwise.

Just now, Romeo said:

It's absolutely not normal for parents to leave kids that age on their own and go for drinks and a meal.

Anyone saying that is trying to justify their own sketchy behaviour.

So, in your entire life, you've never seen or heard anyone get up off a chair on holiday and say "I'll just go check on the kids" or something to that effect?

So, in your entire life, you've never seen or heard anyone get up off a chair on holiday and say "I'll just go check on the kids" or something to that effect?
What after having left them in a room? With infants?

I have not.

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

A combination of the statements by the McCanns, the people they were with, the staff and the thoughts of the police who turned up on the scene. There has never been any allegations they were steaming has there?

What's the sliding scale of inebriation we're using here? You can be pished without falling about all over the place. Let's face it, if they've been downing wine for a few hours, they've not been sober. 

As far as taking the McCann's word for it, they're hardly going to say they were rubber, are they?

Just now, Dee Man said:

What's the sliding scale of inebriation we're using here? You can be pished without falling about all over the place. Let's face it, if they've been downing wine for a few hours, they've not been sober. 

As far as taking the McCann's word for it, they're hardly going to say they were rubber, are they?

Well I guess the first part is what difference would their sobriety make to the abduction? I doubt they were so drunk that, on their previous check on the wean, they actually passed the abductor in the room and never noticed. If it's just, in general terms, an issue of people drinking whilst being in charge of children that's a different matter. What level of drinking is acceptable is entirely subjective. Some people wouldn't dream of drinking while in charge of a child. Others might think a couple of pints in a beer garden, for instance, is absolutely fine.

And they weren't downing wine for a few hours either. They had been drinking wine with a meal for, at most, ninety minutes. I dunno the tolerance level of either McCann but the people with them didn't think they were drunk and it wasn't mentioned by the staff or police who arrived on the scene either. You may well be drunk without falling about all over the place but glassy eyes, slurred speech and a whole number of other factors would have shown them to be drunk if they were yet this wasn't mentioned by anyone involved in the case.

15 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

They didn't ditch the weans. They left them in a room in the complex with the main entrance visible to them whilst they had a meal. They, and other parents staying there, took turns going round and checking on the weans regularly. They weren't getting pished. They had a drink with their meal. This is pretty normal behaviour for most folk on holiday. Unless you think parents of children on holiday all stay in the hotel room as soon as the kids are bed? They don't. They relax by the pool, or have a meal, or sit on the balcony or a number of other things while regularly checking on the weans. They done something absolutely no different to millions of parents all the time. I've no doubt they regret their choice but let's not mark them up as careless parents who were out getting sozzled and abandoning their children in a foreign land so they could down a few glasses of merlot in peace.

And I am aware it was my phrase. Your phrase was "leaving them and going to the pub". Both are not indicative of what actually happened. They didn't have their eyes on the weans 24/7 and, also, they never went to the pub.

You see some absolute horseshit on here. I posted before that neither me and the missus, or anybody in our circle of friends would leave any of our kids unattented in our room or apartment at at any time of day, for any reason. I've no idea why you think "millions of parents" would do it. Plenty times we've been on holiday abroad, our daughter comes with us every time we go for a meal. That might mean she conked out in her buggy when she was younger, or we go back to the room at a reasonable time so she isn't too knackered. It's a family holiday, as much hers as it is ours.

10 minutes ago, Romeo said:

What after having left them in a room? With infants?

I have not.

No idea why the lad thinks it's ok. I would have been sat with my mum and dad until it was time to go up to the room. As I got older I'd get a bit more freedom such as going to the arcade or playing games of pool with other kids. I'd never have been left alone in the room while they go out for a meal and drinks.

The fact they couldn't actually see the door from the tapas bar let alone the fact the apartment faced the street is insane to me.

I do think the Tapas party and the McCanns were partly subconsciously motivated by not looking like Chav unfit parents after their absolutely marvellous shared child minding scheme failed so spectacularly, thus fighting the idea that Maddie might have just wandered outside looking for them, and coming up with the very dubious breaking and entry abduction theory.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

You see some absolute horseshit on here. I posted before that neither me and the missus, or anybody in our circle of friends would leave any of our kids unattented in our room or apartment at at any time of day, for any reason. I've no idea why you think "millions of parents" would do it.

Probably because I've seen it all the time when I've been on holiday. And it's an entirely subjective thing. Scandinavian parents leave babys in prams on the street when they go to restaurants for instance and no-one bats an eyelid.

You choose to take the wean out in the buggy, fair enough, but there's almost no difference between the wean sleeping in that buggy next to you or sleeping in a cot 50 metres away apart from you having your eye on it. The odds of a wean being abducted is infinitesimal which is why this is such a huge news story a decade and a half later. There are other potential dangers, of course, but, again, they're so remote it's hardly the crime of the century to leave a sleeping child unattended for a short period of time and all the Helen Lovejoys in the world don't change that.

Probably because I've seen it all the time when I've been on holiday. And it's an entirely subjective thing. Scandinavian parents leave babys in prams on the street when they go to restaurants for instance and no-one bats an eyelid.

You choose to take the wean out in the buggy, fair enough, but there's almost no difference between the wean sleeping in that buggy next to you or sleeping in a cot 50 metres away apart from you having your eye on it. The odds of a wean being abducted is infinitesimal which is why this is such a huge news story a decade and a half later. There are other potential dangers, of course, but, again, they're so remote it's hardly the crime of the century to leave a sleeping child unattended for a short period of time and all the Helen Lovejoys in the world don't change that.
"Apart from you having an eye on it"

No difference apart from that eh?

aQ6Q93A.jpg.8d417c81cb666bfe6ff0656c5b7bfc83.jpg

This is the view from the tapas bar. The apartment can't be clearly sighted, especially in the dark, but to be fair to the parents, it's only a length of the pool then a jump over the wall and through the bushes to get there, so not really an issue.

aQ6Q93A.jpg.8d417c81cb666bfe6ff0656c5b7bfc83.jpg
This is the view from the tapas bar. The apartment can't be clearly sighted, especially in the dark, but to be fair to the parents, it's only a length of the pool then a jump over the wall and through the bushes to get there, so not really an issue.
Never seen that picture before.

Fucking hell.