The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just now, Savage Henry said:

That was a particularly insane t20 last night, judging by the scorecard.  I hope someone here was able to see it. 

I watched it, it was indeed a bit mental. Salt was fantastic with the bat (again), though he had the gloves in the second innings and looked pretty ropey with them, it has to be said. Good to see Buttler finding a bit of form with back to back 50s, he still looks a good bit short of his best, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

India getting battered is never not funny. Dean Elgar hit a superb 185 to get SA to 408 and a lead of 168.

India just lost 3 wickets in 2 overs to slip to 105-7. Nandre Burger was a whsker away from a hat trick, and if the Saffers had held their catches this would probably have been done by now.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

8 down with Bumrah run out without troubling the scorer. Kohli wanted 2 runs but seems to have forgot that Bumrah isn't the quickest.

I'm just picturing Bumrah running between the wickets with his bowling runup.

15 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I'm just picturing Bumrah running between the wickets with his bowling runup.

When Kohli was grounding his bat at one end Bumrah was only about halfway back. It wasn't even a good throw from the boundary, but Rabada had enough time to stretch and catch it then go back the other way to hit the stumps.

Kohli decided to go down swinging but he's just holed out to Rabada who took a great running catch, and the Saffers win by an innings and 32 runs.

I have been back at work between Christmas and New Year and cheered myself up by listening to the Big Bash, on 5 Sports Extra.  Discussions included the relative attractiveness of players, Australian hairstyles and spectator injuries when taking a catch in the crowd.  It sounds a good night out, with the usual assortment of piledriver shots and dropped catches.

If you have an hour to spare and fancy getting an Australian perspective, then the ABC Grandstand Cricket Podcast is a decent listen.  ABC Radio is easy enough to find the link to.

Bit of a spicy pitch at Cape Town for the second test between South Africa and India. SA chose to bat and were then dismissed for 55 in 23.2 overs. India were going ok after 33 overs at 153-4. 11 balls later they were all out without adding another run. 6 wickets lost on the same score is a new record. 

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Bit of a spicy pitch at Cape Town for the second test between South Africa and India. SA chose to bat and were then dismissed for 55 in 23.2 overs. India were going ok after 33 overs at 153-4. 11 balls later they were all out without adding another run. 6 wickets lost on the same score is a new record. 

Second innings didn't go much better for the Saffers, 3 wickets down by the close and still trail by 36 runs.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Second innings didn't go much better for the Saffers, 3 wickets down by the close and still trail by 36 runs.

Apparently the groundstaff forgot to water the square after applying fertiliser, resulting in a scorched square. I’d be pissed off if that happened at my village club, never mind at a test venue 🙈

• 2 weeks later...

But late with this but on Monday 8 January Ellyse Perry played her 300th game for Australia covering Test, ODI & T20. In game 300 she scored 34 no in Australia’s 6 wicket T20 win v India. She has the distinction of scoring at a football World Cup and scoring runs and taking wickets in cricket World Cups. Winner of 2 ODI and 6 T20 World Cup medals as well as 2022 Commonwealth Games gold medal. Some player.

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

England doing England on tour things, 174-7 midway through the afternoon session. They made a reasonable start too with the first wicket not falling until they had 55 on the board.

This could still end up being a decent score.  For all India has had a history of preparing flat tracks, this one is turning almost too much.  Feels very much like a 3.5 day test, whatever the result.