The Cricket Thread

bewlay

36 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

You can't bowl more than one bouncer per over under the current rules.

I'm sure it's one in T20 and two in all other forms of the game, but a short ball only counts as a bouncer if it passes the batsman above shoulder height. 

Both of the ‘controversial’ incidents in the past 2 days are complete non-issues, as far as I’m concerned, and the correct decision was arrived at both times.

If Carey fucks that up and the ball flies in to no-man’s-land, England would absolutely have been looking for the run. It’s out, end of.

Having said that, huge fan of Broad’s shitehousery in the aftermath. Lovely stuff. 

51 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Both of the ‘controversial’ incidents in the past 2 days are complete non-issues, as far as I’m concerned, and the correct decision was arrived at both times.

If Carey fucks that up and the ball flies in to no-man’s-land, England would absolutely have been looking for the run. It’s out, end of.

Having said that, huge fan of Broad’s shitehousery in the aftermath. Lovely stuff. 

That's an important point, and I agree with you. They can't argue the players had decided the ball dead because they absolutely would have looked to scamper overthrows had it gone down to Long Off or something, and I don't think the Umps would have waived it dead had that happened either. 

The only possible defence I can see is if the Bowler's end Ump has declared 'over' as the ball passed Bairstow's stumps on the way to Carey, as that's the timeframe in which Bairstow could have conceivably concluded he was free to wander out of his ground, but I doubt very much that happened because the ball really should be in the keepers' gloves before the Ump even considers declaring the over bowled, and in reality, it shouldn't be declared until the keeper is up out of his stance and looking to cycle the ball to a team mate, and neither batsman is attempting to run.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I really don't understand where the ire at the Aussies is coming from because it's entirely Bairstow's own intransigence that has led to this.

The ire comes from the wee guy English sporting mentality that means anything questionable that they do is 'intelligent, clever play' (see also: Harry Kane's diving) whilst anything that Johnny Foreigner does to get one over on England is an affront to the King himself.

Looked like there was a lot more than 3 MCC members gathered to abuse the Aussies in the Long Room at the start of Tea yesterday. 🗣️

On the playing front is it possible that Jonny Bairstow's leg break has affected his ability to stand for periods required in Test Matches?

They can never just accept defeat these cunts, can they?

Football, F1, Cricket.  They gurn like fuck whenever they lose a Rugby match too.

19 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I've ignored washout and no result scenarios in this as it hasn't affected the tournament so far.

Of course it's now rain stopped play in Netherlands vs Oman 😂 

While a washout here would be a tremendous result for us, quick check of the forecast suggests it's not likely to last. 

Forecast for tomorrow is dry which is good as washout tomorrow is less good for us. 

Fair to say the Australian viewpoint centres entirely around the whinging Poms whinging as usual.

DHD's point about if the ball missed the stumps then England would have tried for a run is a great one. 

I don’t know much about cricket, but I watched that ‘controversial’ Bairstow incident, and my limited cricket knowledge tells me that Bairstow made a kunt of the situation, while the Aussie wicket keeper acted quickly.

What transpired afterwards seems to me to be the English getting their knickers in a twist over something that was their own fault, and not Aussie shenanigans. What maybe really upset the English chaps is that certainly, the Aussie cricket team can, and sometimes do, indulge in shenanigans and are a somewhat arrogant bunch of kunts in general. Looks like you put two sets of kunts together, and unsurprisingly, you end up with kuntery.

I know little about cricket though, so I may have called this one wrong. 😜

Netherlands won by 70 ish runs on DLS but they haven't overtaken us on NRR. 

Must win tomorrow, which will probably be our hardest game outside Sri Lanka, but if we do then it does leave a small window where we can lose to the Netherlands and still qualify. 

What I find interesting is that almost everyone considers mankading completely unacceptable while yesterday’s incident has generally been seen as ok.

I have always thought a mankade is perfectly justified, particularly in T20 when batsmen are trying to cheat and it can have a crucial impact on the result. Yesterday I am less sure about as even the umpires had started their walk and there was clearly no intention to gain any advantage. Having said that, I don’t blame the Aussies taking the wicket.

If the umpires had started their walk, indicating that the ball was dead, then why did they give Bairstow out?

Conversely, if they did give him out, then they felt the ball wasn't dead.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

If the umpires had started their walk, indicating that the ball was dead, then why did they give Bairstow out?

Conversely, if they did give him out, then they felt the ball wasn't dead.

I don’t think the on-field umpires did give him out? It seemed to go straight to a review from the third umpire, who didn’t have much choice but to give him out.