The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Wanting England to beat Scotland when you're Scottish is totally bizarre, would you not agree?

No, Scotland don't have a Test team. If you've followed England for years at that level then a World Cup comes along, it's hard to change your allegiance.

Scotland qualified by beating heavyweights such as Papa New Guinea and Hong Kong. They play the odd 1 day against a touring side or England, they aren't a full time team.

Fancy Bangladesh to give them a scare.

Confident enough to back it at the start of the Nigels run chase, too. 8) $$££$$

That decision to being the Ashes forward a year really did work, eh?

No, Scotland don't have a Test team. If you've followed England for years at that level then a World Cup comes along, it's hard to change your allegiance.

Scotland qualified by beating heavyweights such as Papa New Guinea and Hong Kong. They play the odd 1 day against a touring side or England, they aren't a full time team.

If England v Scotland had been the final match of the group, with England needing a win to qualify for the latter stages, many Scots cricket followers would have been hoping for an England win.

I go down and watch a couple of ODI's every year and a Test match and as far as i'm concerned England are my team. If your scenario had presented itself then I like most of my cricket loving friends would have been after an England win.

It's nice to see Scotland at the WC but we're an association member and nothing more.

Correct. Though of course made moot by England's awfulness, a Scotland win to knock England out of the competition would have been bad news.

When Scotland play England at cricket I'm happy either way, but I want England to be doing well, most importantly in tests, but in one day cricket as well. I've got tickets for a couple of days of the edgebaston ashes test in the summer and I hope to see the aussies take a doing, as unlikely as it seems :(

For all of you England fans on here, do not listen to Darren Gough on TalkSport, you'll be chucking away your England tops in no time.

I have very little cricket knowledge but I find it pretty remarkable at how many players seem to play for countries they weren't born or brought up in. Do the players get more money for it or something? Or is it purely to play in bigger games?

England's captain came on the radio tonight not sounding very English :lol:

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Go to a Test every odd year and always support England, but wouldn't dream of cheering them on to beat Scotland, just doesn't feel right. The English cricket team is more like a Lions team anyway, if any Scottish players were good enough they'd definitely be playing for England rather than Scotland.

For all of you England fans on here, do not listen to Darren Gough on TalkSport, you'll be chucking away your England tops in no time.

I have very little cricket knowledge but I find it pretty remarkable at how many players seem to play for countries other than their birth. Do the players get more money for it or something? Or is it purely to play in bigger games?

England's captain came on the radio tonight not sounding very English :lol:

Aye, the residency rules are pretty piss weak, although not as bad as egg chasing iirc.

For both the reasons you mention representing England is pretty much the dream for an aspiring celtic cricketer.

Aye, the residency rules are pretty piss weak, although not as bad as egg chasing iirc.

For both the reasons you mention representing England is pretty much the dream for an aspiring celtic cricketer.

So England is effectively team GB? That makes more sense. Still don't get people wanting the English lads to beat the Scots.

Is Scotland's captain not English too?

So England is effectively team GB? That makes more sense. Still don't get people wanting the English lads to beat the Scots.

Is Scotland's captain not English too?

He was born in SA I think, although you may think the same about Kyle Coetzer but he's Aberdeen born and bred with SA parents. No doubt it's quite an incestuous game cricket as people can even move back to representing an associate member after playing for England like Ed Joyce is doing extremely successfully at the WC.

I played cricket from 10 until I stopped playing for the uni team at 22.

I wouldn't fucking dream of cheering on England to beat scotland and honestly can't think of anyone I played with who would. Plenty who have England as their test team and who would support them once the latter stages had begun but not actively cheering against Scotland.

He was born in SA I think, although you may think the same about Kyle Coetzer but he's Aberdeen born and bred with SA parents. No doubt it's quite an incestuous game cricket as people can even move back to representing an associate member after playing for England like Ed Joyce is doing extremely successfully at the WC.

Don't confuse him with nebulous concepts such as dual-nationalities...

If talkSpite is anything to go by, and I don't listen, I'd imagine not singing the anthem and not having the right accent is the biggest problem with England. Just as Kyle Coetzer's birthplace is an issue for the closet/not so closet Nazis.