The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Decent enough performance from Scotland, the worry today was if any of SLs big stars got going we could have been looking at chasing 400+, when Sanga and Dilshan were going I thought it could have got really messy but we've done well in the games vs NZ, England and SL to take a few wickets in the middle order and not let anyone totally flay us at the end.

Outside malinga (who is on the wane) and herath (injured) the SL attack is pretty popgun compared to the top test attacks, so I was confident we wouldn't get skittled unless malinga ran through us at the start, and after coetzer getting a second baller we did ok.

If results go as expected SL will meet the saffers in the quarters and unless Sanga makes it 5 in a row I think that will be the end of them. Shame as they've been the best fans over here by a mile, the SCG was rammed with them the other day and they made far more noise than the home crowd, even in defeat.

Bit worried about what Australia could do to us on Saturday, despite the defeat vs NZ they're still the clear favourites for me, any rematch with the kiwis will now be in the final in Melbourne (unless Scotland somehow win vs Aus), and with SA struggling to find the right balance of their team and India's bowling being weak I think that will be the final.

Would like to see the Irish go through as much like England, the West indies deserve to go out, but I think Pakistan will be too strong and Gayle will no doubt score 280 against the uae before getting none against a decent team in the quarters.

Edited as my tablet hates paragraphs.

Edited by Fuctifano

Looked like Berrington copped a really sore one this morning when he went over on his ankle while bowling.

Can't understand why after he had taken the wickets of Dilshan, Sangakarra and Jayawardene that Davey didn't bowl out all of his overs. Strange one imo.

I might have ben seeing things, but I'm sure they flashed up graphic saying Davey was currently the leading wicket taker in the competition?

He certainly is.

Of course the reason for that is that he's our main bowler and batters are taking risks and playing shots against him that they wouldn't normally play in more competitive matches.

Edited by Lex

I read somewhere that Aberdeenshire has the highest participation in cricket per capita of any area of the world bar one in India. No idea if it's true or not, but growing up in Aberdeenshire it did feel like a lot of people played cricket.

I think the stat is highest participation per capita of any UK county other than Yorkshire.

I also remember reading that there are more cricketers than rugby players in Scotland. Given many rugby players play cricket in summer and you can carry on until you are 70 it seems reasonable.

If I think about my part of the world in Perthshire and Angus there are far more cricket clubs than rugby and its probably only second (by a an absolutely huge margin) to football.

Darren Lehmann's son Jake played his first Sheffield Shield game for South Australia v Victoria in the last round. His dad presented him with his State cap. He made a reasonable 54 in the 1st innings then 39 but SA lost by an innings and 1 run. SA bottom and with 1 the last round starting today need to win away to Queensland and hope Tasmania don't beat Victoria.

I think the stat is highest participation per capita of any UK county other than Yorkshire.

I also remember reading that there are more cricketers than rugby players in Scotland. Given many rugby players play cricket in summer and you can carry on until you are 70 it seems reasonable.

If I think about my part of the world in Perthshire and Angus there are far more cricket clubs than rugby and its probably only second (by a an absolutely huge margin) to football.

In perth there is 1 rugby club with 3 adult teams, a cricket club with 3 adult teams (plus a midweek t20 team), about 25 Saturday football teams and 10 Sunday football teams. There are cricket clubs in a few of the outlying villages as well, but no other rugby clubs. So you're pretty much spot on. Edited by die hard doonhamer