The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I'm fairly new to cricket never watched it as a kid but England calling up players from all over always annoyed me especially given there's only ten test playing nations anyway? Also always thought Wales should field a team given Glamorgan have a side and quite a few Welshman have played for England. The decision to reduce World Cup spots is particularly annoying too, hopefully they see sense on the back of Ireland decent showing, decent total by then too but looks well short the way the champions have started.

I'm fairly new to cricket never watched it as a kid but England calling up players from all over always annoyed me especially given there's only ten test playing nations anyway? Also always thought Wales should field a team given Glamorgan have a side and quite a few Welshman have played for England. The decision to reduce World Cup spots is particularly annoying too, hopefully they see sense on the back of Ireland decent showing, decent total by then too but looks well short the way the champions have started.

Technically England are England and Wales.

The decline in the last couple of years has been dreadful. Mr Cook must be quite satisfied that he missed out on this debacle.

Ben Stokes as well. Being absolute gash in Sri Lanka saved him from this debacle and proved the old adage of a player increasing in quality tenfold by sitting in the stands

The problem with the ICC is that it's effectly an extra branch of the BCCI. The game of cricket is run for India's benefit, with the occasional England and Australia input.

They have conconcted a new system that is Cockwomblian in it's efficiency. The lower performing test nations can only slip below the Associates like Ireland if.... they choose to play them. If they don't, they won't. There is no forced fixture list.

It's like saying to Burnley that you can stay in the Premier League if you choose not to play against Derby. If you want to play Derby though, yuo might be relegated, if you lose.

Do you want to play Derby next week? Oh, you don't?

Technically England are England and Wales.

Formerly.

They are now simply called the England Cricket Board as opposed to their former name EWCB.

However it still precludes Wales from joining the development teams.

Ben Stokes as well. Being absolute gash in Sri Lanka saved him from this debacle and proved the old adage of a player increasing in quality tenfold by sitting in the stands

John Kennedy syndrome?

I think Cook and Stokes are both far better players relatively than him though.

The only consolation is that England gave India a kicking and have the makings of a decent test side.

John Kennedy syndrome?

I think Cook and Stokes are both far better players relatively than him though.

The only consolation is that England gave India a kicking and have the makings of a decent test side.

I quite like Ben Stokes, but I think the whole "where is he? " stuff some of the media have been engaging in is pure revisionism. It's really hard with cricketers to predict how long a form slump will last for.

Look at Eoin Morgan for example. He's been absolutely terrible, but at some point he will get back to scoring big runs at a SR of 115. It's just not been now. Similarly Stokes has found form on the tour to SA. There was every chance if they'd stuck by him for the World Cup he'd be here looking as stinking as he did in Sri Lanka.

Climb down mode activated. What a populist c**t.

Not at all. In the same way it'll still be a GIRFUY Morgan if Ireland end up going through. Supporting England over Scotland when Scottish is what I was taking the piss out of.

'Populist c**t' ???

Rattled :lol:

In terms of England being a little open with who plays for them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranjitsinhji

The likes of Basil d'Oliviera, Alan Lamb, Graham Hick, Andy Caddick, Tony Greig etc its not exactly a "new" thing.

The Indian born Scotsman Doug Jardine is perhaps the most famous of the non English English.

I'm sure he was picked in a Duncan Fletcher test team. I might be wrong though, but i thought he had to re-qualify to play for Scotland again.

I just remember him being our best player in a World Cup which was played in England. Then seen him playing in a test team for the English. Never ended up doing much if I remember correctly

The reduction in size for the next World Cup to 10 sides is absolutely baffling. It's like they don't want to spread interest in cricket.

Cricket has never been a big sport here, but the most I've ever heard it talked about in Scotland is over the last weeks, because we are in the World Cup. It's generated interest and I'm sure some Scottish youngsters will take up the game as a result, thus growing the game. This thread has never been busier! I'm sure it's the same in Afghanistan and Ireland and the other associate nations.

Also some of the most entertaining matches at the World Cup have been between the associate nations. Our game against Afghanistan was a cracker, albeit it went the wrong way from our perspective.

While every other sport is looking to increase the size of it's international tournaments to spread their game and bring in more revenue, it seems cricket is actively trying to do the opposite. I don't understand it at all.

Think Hamilton got 1 Test cap iirc.

Good player but never a Test cricketer.

He did get one cap against South Africa - in a game that was featured on Sky last night on a programme about Alan Donald.

He got 2 ducks and no wickets so statistically is one of the worst test players ever.

However, at that time he was excelling for Yorkshire and thoroughly deserved a call up.

The reduction in size for the next World Cup to 10 sides is absolutely baffling. It's like they don't want to spread interest in cricket.

While every other sport is looking to increase the size of it's international tournaments to spread their game and bring in more revenue, it seems cricket is actively trying to do the opposite. I don't understand it at all.

Have they announced the format yet? You can almost guarantee the first round will be round robin, guaranteeing 9 games for India and guaranteed fixtures between the big teams e.g India/Pakistan, England/Australia, India/Australia etc are all guaranteed. Desperately chasing TV money, basically.

The ICC are more interested in TV money and pandering to the test nations than they are growing the sport.

I love cricket but the whole concept of test nations/associates/others is a total joke. There should be no distinction between them other than rankings.