The Cricket Thread

bewlay

So could Ireland end up going out despite winning three games? That's a bit tight.

They've been fucked over really by Pakistan beating South Africa and the Windies beating Pakistan I think.

The reduction in size for the next World Cup to 10 sides is absolutely baffling. It's like they don't want to spread interest in cricket.

Cricket has never been a big sport here, but the most I've ever heard it talked about in Scotland is over the last weeks, because we are in the World Cup. It's generated interest and I'm sure some Scottish youngsters will take up the game as a result, thus growing the game. This thread has never been busier! I'm sure it's the same in Afghanistan and Ireland and the other associate nations.

Also some of the most entertaining matches at the World Cup have been between the associate nations. Our game against Afghanistan was a cracker, albeit it went the wrong way from our perspective.

While every other sport is looking to increase the size of it's international tournaments to spread their game and bring in more revenue, it seems cricket is actively trying to do the opposite. I don't understand it at all.

Not strictly true. Although it's not a massive sport like it is in India, it's 3rd behind fitba and rugby in terms of levels of participation in Scotland. On any given Saturday in Edinburgh, Lothians and Fife there are over 80 teams playing in the East of Scotland Cricket Association, probably a considerable amount in Glasgow and environs, a national league structure and teams up north as well. I agree that the World Cup can only help levels of participation too. I agree that reducing the number of teams in the next World Cup is a backward step in trying to promote cricket worldwide.

They've been fucked over really by Pakistan beating South Africa and the Windies beating Pakistan I think.

Pretty much this, they now need the Windies not to win against the UAE in their last game to go through. Best they can probably hope for is for it to be rained off.

Not strictly true. Although it's not a massive sport like it is in India, it's 3rd behind fitba and rugby in terms of levels of participation in Scotland. On any given Saturday in Edinburgh, Lothians and Fife there are over 80 teams playing in the East of Scotland Cricket Association, probably a considerable amount in Glasgow and environs, a national league structure and teams up north as well.

Is there a source for it being 3rd? I would have thought golf would have been ahead of it, possibly basketball and tennis too.

Big problem with cricket participation here is obviously the weather, but I think it's popularity has grown in the last 5 years. There was a superb demand for tickets crowd for the ODI match against England in Aberdeen last year - which became T20 because of the weather.

The World Cup in 2019 is in England, there would be even greater levels of interest here if we qualified for that, and a pretty decent travelling support heading down too. Sadly with the planned reduction in nations it is going to be extremely difficult for us to make it. Pretty infuriating stuff.

Pretty much this, they now need the Windies not to win against the UAE in their last game to go through. Best they can probably hope for is for it to be rained off.

Of all the teams which could contrive a defeat in that game, The Windies may be the only team I'd take Ahead of England. Ireland are still in it.

He did get one cap against South Africa - in a game that was featured on Sky last night on a programme about Alan Donald.

He got 2 ducks and no wickets so statistically is one of the worst test players ever.

However, at that time he was excelling for Yorkshire and thoroughly deserved a call up.

Got bounced out by Allan Donald twice on an utter cabbage patch of a wicket IIRC. Couldn't have gone into that team at a worse time, sadly!

Edited by Scorge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/22806853

Cricket is 8th over all in England.

I seriously doubt it is further up the list in Scotland.

I read somewhere that Aberdeenshire has the highest participation in cricket per capita of any area of the world bar one in India. No idea if it's true or not, but growing up in Aberdeenshire it did feel like a lot of people played cricket.

Sri Lanka currently 245-4 against Scotland, with Josh Davey taking 3 wickets which currently puts him at the top of the wicket takers charts for the competition. Sangakarra and Dilshan both hit tons, with Sangakarra setting a new record with his 4th straight hundred.

Edited by peasy23

Sangakkarra has now scored as many 100's in this world cup as Bell has in his ODI career.

Amazing stat. Sangakkara is a proper cricketer, Bell's just an overhyped Joe Average.

Not a bad performance from us really, ended up 215 all out and lost by 148 runs. About as expected. Sri Lanka are a dangerous side and I can see them going all the way.

Edited by Lex

Amazing stat. Sangakkara is a proper cricketer, Bell's just an overhyped Joe Average.

Not a bad performance from us really, ended up 215 all out and lost by 148 runs. About as expected. Sri Lanka are a dangerous side and I can see them going all the way.

Bell's a fabulous test cricketer.