The Cricket Thread

bewlay

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Thought there would be more comments about that first day. What a difference having a strong middle order can make. And when your bowling attack doesn't have depth the strike bowlers look pretty tired quite quickly.

Have they prepared a road to help Crawley,Lees & Pope though? Matty Potts certainly got a reality check around Test Cricket yesterday, the Kiwis have worked him out pretty sharpish if it isn't a batters track.

10 minutes ago, Tynie Tappertit said:

Hopefully this sees the end of Jack Leach, an utter wet wipe of a bowler.

Whilst I agree with you generally, any spinner is on a hiding to nothing bowling on day 2 at Trent Bridge.

I’m really disappointed in Stokes’s situational awareness as captain. There’s absolutely a time and place for aggressive captaincy, and Root was generally too conservative, but Stokes needs to learn that there are times that you need to stem the flow of runs and build pressure that way. 

So are we getting an Inevitable England Batting Collapse tomorrow and a Follow-on, or an Inevitable England Batting Collapse on the final day once they've hauled themselves back into a 'statistically impossible to lose from here' position?

My money is on tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:
2 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:
Nice innings from Popey, about time.

Merely confirms they've prepared a dead flat batting track and once the ball is 15 or so overs old then any batsman of a half decent level can build a score

This is an oval style road. Nice to see him actually building a decent innings though, I do fully believe he’s the long term option at 3, but he’s been horrifically mismanaged. 

Game has draw written all over it. 

6 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

This is an oval style road. Nice to see him actually building a decent innings though, I do fully believe he’s the long term option at 3, but he’s been horrifically mismanaged. 

Game has draw written all over it. 

I agree, but I’ve seen enough England collapses on absolute motorways to be sure yet. India last year comes to mind. 

I know he got a very good delivery to dismiss him yesterday but surely Zak Crawley's time in the England team must be under threat again? The age old problem of who replaces him remains. Lees is a throwback to the Atherton type opener who just hangs around which there's absolutely a place for. Allows the better batsmen to be coming in and not have a new ball and scoreboard pressure to deal with

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

I know he got a very good delivery to dismiss him yesterday but surely Zak Crawley's time in the England team must be under threat again? The age old problem of who replaces him remains. Lees is a throwback to the Atherton type opener who just hangs around which there's absolutely a place for. Allows the better batsmen to be coming in and not have a new ball and scoreboard pressure to deal with

Something that England seem to have forgot over the years is that although it's nice if your openers can score a few, it's more important that they hang around and kill the new ball for the guys coming after. How many times has Root come in with the score at 20 odd for 2?

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:

His opening partner at Kent is the obvious choice.