Cappielow Set For 2million Upgrade

So, the club made £9 million from the sale of Brockville, but only contributed £2.8 million?

What did Falkirk Council make from the sale, and why?

From that article, which specifically says the sale was worth £9 million to the club, it appears to me that they pocketed £6.2 million whilst expecting the taxpayer to foot a £3.1 million bill.

The Council owned around a third of Brockville so there wouldn't have been enough money in the pot for a new stadium once they'd taken their chunk and Falkirk had cleared it's debts so they went 50/50 with the club on the new build at Westfield.

The taxpayer wasn't asked to put his hand in his pocket, a couple of hundred jobs were created and the Council had a shiney new Supermarket to draw rates from.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Council owned around a third of Brockville so there wouldn't have been enough money in the pot for a new stadium once they'd taken their chunk and Falkirk had cleared it's debts so they went 50/50 with the club on the new build at Westfield.

The taxpayer wasn't asked to put his hand in his pocket, a couple of hundred jobs were created and the Council had a shiney new Supermarket to draw rates from.

Every time the council spends money thats the taxpayer putting his hand in his pocket. In this case the taxpayer is subsidising Falkirks stadium. What is the local taxpayer getting back in return to make this worthwhile?

Quite amusing that people thought it was right we got kept down in 2003 because we didn't meet the SPL ground criteria.

Now we get slagged (wrongly) for building a ground that does meet the criteria.

The council didn't give us any money as a gift by the way.

The stadium is also available to the whole community for whatever purpose they may choose.

As it stands anyone can hire the pitch.

We are already coming second fiddle on August 1st to Tom Jones.

Hardly our fault that your local authority can't see any benefit in helping Morton to build a ground that's fit for 2015 Scotland.

Every time the council spends money thats the taxpayer putting his hand in his pocket. In this case the taxpayer is subsidising Falkirks stadium. What is the local taxpayer getting back in return to make this worthwhile?

Exact figures I'm not aware, but they do get rental money.

FFC own very little of TFS

Exact figures I'm not aware, but they do get rental money.

FFC own very little of TFS

So if FFC own very little of it and the council owns a big slice you've been subsidised by the taxpayer. Not a difficult point to grasp but falkirk fans seem to be struggling with it.

So yeah basically you're having a go at the club because the council won't build them a new stadium. I can see your logic there.

So yeah basically you're having a go at the club because the council won't build them a new stadium. I can see your logic there.

Sure, that's what I said.

"It's shocking that the local authority won't build Morton a new ground"

Written in black and white a few posts above this 1.

Away and go f**k yourself ya waste of space.

So if FFC own very little of it and the council owns a big slice you've been subsidised by the taxpayer. Not a difficult point to grasp but falkirk fans seem to be struggling with it.

Tell me, are you trolling or unable to understand what the deal is?

I threw in trolling because nobody is that thick.

The article states that the sale of Brockville was worth £9 million to the club, not to both the club and the council. Given that the estimated cost of the new stadium were £6.1 million, I fail to see the need for council investment, unless of course Falkirk's debts were so substantial that they couldn't pay them themselves? Is the article inaccurate?

You allude to the rates that Morrisons pay the council, but it was (partly) their land anyway. Had Falkirk stayed at Brockville, they'd still have been getting rates off them. After they took their slice, which became public money, they could've spent it on something productive like health or education provisions, but instead chose to help out a private enterprise. If, after the council had taken their share, there wasn't enough for such an ambitious project, there would've been nothing to stop Falkirk building a more modest stadium within their budget. If that didn't meet SPL criteria at the time then that's life I'm afraid.

Quite amusing that people thought it was right we got kept down in 2003 because we didn't meet the SPL ground criteria.

Now we get slagged (wrongly) for building a ground that does meet the criteria.

The council didn't give us any money as a gift by the way.

The stadium is also available to the whole community for whatever purpose they may choose.

As it stands anyone can hire the pitch.

We are already coming second fiddle on August 1st to Tom Jones.

Hardly our fault that your local authority can't see any benefit in helping Morton to build a ground that's fit for 2015 Scotland.

You should've been kept down in 2003. You didn't meet stadium criteria at the time. That was the rules and you didn't adhere to them. Straight forward stuff. However, nobody's slagging Falkirk for building a new stadium, what we are saying is that the assistance you've had from the council gives you an unfair competitive advantage over others. I've got no issue with the philanthropy of Sandy Alexander in building you a third stand, it's his money and he can spend it as he wishes, like Douglas Rae can, but I do have one with taxpayers' money being spent in order to progress a football cub at the expense of others' who's local authorities spend their money more wisely.

And there's a difference between Inverclyde Council seeing the benefit in helping Morton to build a stadium and getting their priorities right. If there's not enough money to do that then they're doing the responsible thing.

The article states that the sale of Brockville was worth £9 million to the club, not to both the club and the council. Given that the estimated cost of the new stadium were £6.1 million, I fail to see the need for council investment, unless of course Falkirk's debts were so substantial that they couldn't pay them themselves? Is the article inaccurate?

You allude to the rates that Morrisons pay the council, but it was (partly) their land anyway. Had Falkirk stayed at Brockville, they'd still have been getting rates off them. After they took their slice, which became public money, they could've spent it on something productive like health or education provisions, but instead chose to help out a private enterprise. If, after the council had taken their share, there wasn't enough for such an ambitious project, there would've been nothing to stop Falkirk building a more modest stadium within their budget. If that didn't meet SPL criteria at the time then that's life I'm afraid.

You should've been kept down in 2003. You didn't meet stadium criteria at the time. That was the rules and you didn't adhere to them. Straight forward stuff. However, nobody's slagging Falkirk for building a new stadium, what we are saying is that the assistance you've had from the council gives you an unfair competitive advantage over others. I've got no issue with the philanthropy of Sandy Alexander in building you a third stand, it's his money and he can spend it as he wishes, like Douglas Rae can, but I do have one with taxpayers' money being spent in order to progress a football cub at the expense of others' who's local authorities spend their money more wisely.

And there's a difference between Inverclyde Council seeing the benefit in helping Morton to build a stadium and getting their priorities right. If there's not enough money to do that then they're doing the responsible thing.

I'm fairly busy right now, I'll try to get back later to read your post properly and hopefully give a better answer.

You seem to be focusing on a Wikipedia entry and phrasing that seems to state the 'club' got £9m. Brockville was sole for around £9M and the council's share was £3.1m.

The other thing I think you've missed is that what would have been left wasn't enough to build a compliant stadium. The council therefore went in as partners in TFS and now bring in money from two sources rather than one.

I'll pop back later when I have more time.

I'm fairly busy right now, I'll try to get back later to read your post properly and hopefully give a better answer.

You seem to be focusing on a Wikipedia entry and phrasing that seems to state the 'club' got £9m. Brockville was sole for around £9M and the council's share was £3.1m.

The other thing I think you've missed is that what would have been left wasn't enough to build a compliant stadium. The council therefore went in as partners in TFS and now bring in money from two sources rather than one.

I'll pop back later when I have more time.

Yes, I was quite deliberate in not mentioning SPL stadium criteria, because it's not relevant. If Falkirk weren't capable of building a stadium to meet the criteria, they could've again taken credit to do so or built a more modest ground befitting to their stature and accepted that they wouldn't be in the SPL for the foreseeable future. It's not local government's responsibility to give them a helping hand.

I suspected that it was the case that Brockville was sold for a total of £9 million and that the article was inaccurate, but because Falkirk Council (for whatever reason I don't know, perhaps you could enlighten me) owned around a third of Brockville, doesn't mean that their slice of the sale, which became public money, should go towards the new project at the expense of more worthy causes, handing their local football club a competitive advantage over others who's councils spend their money more appropriately.

Yes, I was quite deliberate in not mentioning SPL stadium criteria, because it's not relevant. If Falkirk weren't capable of building a stadium to meet the criteria, they could've again taken credit to do so or built a more modest ground befitting to their stature and accepted that they wouldn't be in the SPL for the foreseeable future. It's not local government's responsibility to give them a helping hand.

I suspected that it was the case that Brockville was sold for a total of £9 million and that the article was inaccurate, but because Falkirk Council (for whatever reason I don't know, perhaps you could enlighten me) owned around a third of Brockville, doesn't mean that their slice of the sale, which became public money, should go towards the new project at the expense of more worthy causes, handing their local football club a competitive advantage over others who's councils spend their money more appropriately.

I'd forgotten about this thread and again I'm just heading out the door ...

Without the partnership Falkirk would just have stayed at Brockville.

Archived