Official P&b Cycling Thread

5 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

Got my Velodrome accreditation level 1 this weekend couldn't have timed it better with the Olympics track racing has got me really looking forward to it 

I've got mine on the 3rd of September, post in here and let us know how it was.

On 8/8/2016 at 10:09, flyingscot said:

Yeah I have thought of something similar since relegation has taken away huge trips to highlands. Dundee United is our longest trip now, but would mean leaving Paisley probably near 4am to make sure you get there for a 3pm game! 

Done Aberdeen, St. Johnstone and Dundee United from Inverness. Not all on the same day though. In fact not all in the same season. Done Brora and Forres so far this year. Grand days out, all of them.

On 8/10/2016 at 21:21, jupe1407 said:

Already done :lol:

I'm (probably stupidly) looking forward to the climb. I've done a lot of hillwalking over the last 3-4 years so I've got fairly strong legs. An autumn/winter of training should hopefully sort me out.

The etape loch ness is actually ok. The first half is rolling, so there's little chance of being spat out the back too quickly. It's this section you usually get a head wind on. The Glen doe hill isn't too bad. The first half is the steepest, there's a flatter section by the lochan at half way and then the second bit is steepest at the start. All in all it's manageable. The descent off there is a long straight that gives you a lot of speed especially if there's a tail wind (nearly always) then there's a technical wee descent through foyers. After that it's a scoot along the loch side.

I've got mine on the 3rd of September, post in here and let us know how it was.

Level one was throughly enjoyable alot more track time than expected. Basically learning basics of fixed wheel riding before letting you go up onto the track. Once on you can go as fast as you please. First couple of corners on the bank is a bit dodgy but nerves soon disappeared and was hitting them with good speed. Definitely following up with other levels

8 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

Level one was throughly enjoyable alot more track time than expected. Basically learning basics of fixed wheel riding before letting you go up onto the track. Once on you can go as fast as you please. First couple of corners on the bank is a bit dodgy but nerves soon disappeared and was hitting them with good speed. Definitely following up with other levels

Excellent, I can't wait for a week on Saturday for my first lesson. My in-laws bought me a voucher for all the lessons for my birthday so that'll fill in a few Saturdays!

Edited by statts1976uk

Cycled from Dunbar to Kilmacolm on Saturday, a grand total of 106 miles. Not bad for someone who has had both knees replaced. The canal paths are a bit hit and miss, a mixture of smooth paved sections and rough, uneven puddle strewn paths.
The final section from Paisley to Kilmacolm apart from being constantly uphill is very well maintained and the directions are easy to follow. A bit of bad planning meant we came past Ibrox just before five o'clock and were caught up in ra peepil heading home.
A fine day out and a couple of pints on the house in The Pullman in Kilmacolm.

Three days into the NC500. Yesterday was a toughie; 2,100m of climbing, most of it in the first 40miles with the Bealach na Ba follwed by the Applecross peninsula with a seemingly never ending series of short 12% climbs.

Really enjoying it so far.

2 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

50 mile round trip to Largs today. Absolutely burst.

From Paisley? One of the Junior Bolds and I have done that a couple of times - along the old railway to Port Glasgow, up past Whinhill Golf Club, :shutup, the Old Largs Road then the Hailey Brae to Kilbirnie and back.  More than 50 miles, PS.

From Paisley? One of the Junior Bolds and I have done that a couple of times - along the old railway to Port Glasgow, up past Whinhill Golf Club, :shutup, the Old Largs Road then the Hailey Brae to Kilbirnie and back.  More than 50 miles, PS.

Sounds very similar apart from the cycle track start we head down that big hill to port Glasgow. Was a good day but puncture on the old Largs road nightmare. It was 56 miles :-)

8111af2d677fda976f9fc7f889484f73.jpg

100 miles yesterday from Inverness to Bonar Bridge and back in 5:15. Forgotten how steep the struie road is. 12% for a fair old dig. Weather was fine except up high, now know i'm in reasonable shape for the etape royale in a couple of weeks. Any other P&B'ers doing this?

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

1900 feet above sea level, top of the North Pennines. 

view.jpg

Where's that?  I did Great Dun Fell in the North Pennines a few weeks back, but that's almost 3000 feet.

2 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Hold on a second.... wow.

Is that not the crazy road shut to cars up to a radar station?

Yeah, that's the one.  Crazy road is a good description as well.  Here it is:

IMAG0674.jpg