Official P&b Cycling Thread

Not sure if this is a new story or not but I thought I would post it here. I just read a article about a girl who made a foolish tweet as follows:

"Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier - I have right of way he doesn't even pay road tax! #bloody cyclists"

Later she received a tweet from Norfolk Police saying:

"We have had tweets ref a RTC with a bike. We suggest you report it at a police station ASAP and then DM us"

She is currently suspended from her work pending investigation.

Apparently she did stop to see that the cyclist was ok but carried on driving when she saw that he was. It was only a minor collision but I have read on this thread before arguments about motorists vs. cyclists. I'm definitely on the side of the cylcists on this one.

#bloody driver

Edited by Cammy35

Not sure if this is a new story or not but I thought I would post it here. I just read a article about a girl who made a foolish tweet as follows:

"Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier - I have right of way he doesn't even pay road tax! #bloody cyclists"

"We have had tweets ref a RTC with a bike. We suggest you report it at a police station ASAP and then DM us"

Apparently she did stop to see that the cyclist was ok but carried on driving when she saw that he was. It was only a minor collision but I have read on this thread before arguments about motorists vs. cyclists. I'm definitely on the side of the cylcists on this one.

#bloody driver

I was on my way home from work this afternoon (by bike) and took one of several different route options that eventually led me to the usual home straight. As I approached the junction onto the main drag, I could see traffic sitting in a long queue and folk out of their vehicles, hanging about chatting.

No traffic was coming from the direction I was travelling in either, so I pulled out the junction and proceeded to cycle past the traffic in the deserted oncoming lane. I have to be honest and confess to a slightly smug feeling given that I had opted to take the bike today, leaving the car at home. I then seen the police car....then the ambulance....and then the mountain bike lying by the side of the road.

I've no idea what happened, but the bike was lying beside the mouth of another junction. The cops let me continue past, but it was a sobering and sombre feeling. I hope the rider is okay. A few folk standing close by looked a bit shaken, so that isn't a good sign.

As a brief postscript, I continued up the road and many of the vehicles coming the opposite way were making 3-point turns to come back the way they had come from. As I continued along the now traffic-free left lane, a white van swung a sharp right directly across my lane in front of me as he set about his own 3-pointer. Fucking clown, and all the more out of order given what I'd witnessed all of 200 yards down the road.c

Aye, its great to be out, but please take it easy folks, and stay safe.

Edited by Drooper

#bloody driver

I was on my way home from work this afternoon (by bike) and took one of several different route options that eventually led me to the usual home straight. As I approached the junction onto the main drag, I could see traffic sitting in a long queue and folk out of their vehicles, hanging about chatting.

No traffic was coming from the direction I was travelling in either, so I pulled out the junction and proceeded to cycle past the traffic in the deserted oncoming lane. I have to be honest and confess to a slightly smug feeling given that I had opted to take the bike today, leaving the car at home. I then seen the police car....then the ambulance....and then the mountain bike lying by the side of the road.

I've no idea what happened, but the bike was lying beside the mouth of another junction. The cops let me continue past, but it was a sobering and sombre feeling. I hope the rider is okay. A few folk standing close by looked a bit shaken, so that isn't a good sign.

As a brief postscript, I continued up the road and many of the vehicles coming the opposite way were making 3-point turns to come back the way they had come from. As I continued along the now traffic-free left lane, a white van swung a sharp right directly across my lane in front of me as he set about his own 3-pointer. Fucking clown, and all the more out of order given what I'd witnessed all of 200 yards down the road.c

For some unknown reason,this is the attitude of some drivers and it amazes me the abuse we get when out cycling at times.

Cars going past, with drivers giving it the hard man act, shouting obscenities out the window, or cutting in sharply in front of you.

I'd love for one of these fuckers to do that, then have a puncture a few miles up the road and see how hard they were then.

Heard a story once of an incident like this happening outside Glasgow,where the driver nearly clipped one of the cyclists in a group,and then stopped to argue with them at the side of the road, becoming really abusive, but staying in his car.

When his window was down,one of the guys from the Glasgow cycling club managed to reach in and get the guys keys out of the ignition,cycled a few miles up the road and chucked them into a field!

Fucking brilliant !!

UTN - you ever go up to Sheriffmuir by the Logie Kirk rd? That kills me every time.

That's no a hill,thats a gentle slope! :P

I read that when the Tour de France decided to classify the difficulty of climbs they used the lowest gear a car needed... Hence 3rd, 2nd, 1st category climbs....

They use a more mathematical formula now apparently, but 'out of category' must be something else.... :unsure:

Well I've been out twice since getting the bike yesterday. First time a one mile, second time a two mile. Not a lot but I am taking it easy to start with and you should see the bloody hill I need to go up to get home ????

Legs have been like jelly for about 30 minutes after each ride. How long before it gets better?? ????

Well I've been out twice since getting the bike yesterday. First time a one mile, second time a two mile. Not a lot but I am taking it easy to start with and you should see the bloody hill I need to go up to get home

Legs have been like jelly for about 30 minutes after each ride. How long before it gets better??

Well done, Rugster - keep on with it, and you'll soon feel the benefit.

A wee update on this.

Apparently the person hurt was a 17 year old girl who was knocked off her bike, sustaining head and face injuries. Terrible to hear, but hopefully she'll pull through it okay.

Went out yesterday and done about 15 miles.

I haven't touched my bike in about a fortnight and in this time I have been in Ibiza & celebrated turning 22. Neither of these things have involved healthy living.

I can honestly say I have never felt so bad on a bike. I was effectively sweating 2 weeks of drink out my system. Back to taking fitness seriously I think.

Anyone planning to get along to the National Road Race Champs on Sunday? Looks to be a strong line up with Cavendish, Stannard and Armistead featuring, among others.

The womens race starts at 9.30am, while the men kick off at 1.30pm. All route info etc. available here:

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/events/NRRC/Pages/home.aspx

I'm hoping to get along at some point. Will probably site myself arounnd the Charing Cross area.

Anyone planning to get along to the National Road Race Champs on Sunday? Looks to be a strong line up with Cavendish, Stannard and Armistead featuring, among others.

The womens race starts at 9.30am, while the men kick off at 1.30pm. All route info etc. available here:

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/events/NRRC/Pages/home.aspx

I'm hoping to get along at some point. Will probably site myself arounnd the Charing Cross area.

I will be getting along, stay near the university so will watch some of the climb at university avenue then head into town for the finish of the mens race.

Well I've been out twice since getting the bike yesterday. First time a one mile, second time a two mile. Not a lot but I am taking it easy to start with and you should see the bloody hill I need to go up to get home

Legs have been like jelly for about 30 minutes after each ride. How long before it gets better??

I want you to go out and give us 10 miles, tell us how you feel after

Went out with my mate a cycle tonight. Started off at Airdrie and went upto Bathgate via the cycle paths and back to Airdrie on the main road. Mapmyride has it as 26 miles in 2 hours. Legs are dead though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I know I've mentioned this before but I hate my bike but more specifically my disc brakes. The squeal when I apply the brakes is horrendous and hugely embarrassing. If I got new discs presumably the squealing would stop? The pads are brand new.

Cheers.