Official P&b Cycling Thread

I know I've mentioned this before but I hate my bike but more specifically my disc brakes. The squeal when I apply the brakes is horrendous and hugely embarrassing. If I got new discs presumably the squealing would stop? The pads are brand new.

Cheers.

Do you use the bike often? Mines usually squeal if I've not been out in a while but it stops fairly quickly.

Use it pretty much every day cycling to work. I had it looked at and the pads were contaminated with oil so they were replaced so the squealing disappeared for a bit but soon returned.

It seems to be especially bad when bringing myself to a complete stop.

I know it's mainly a cosmetic thing but it really annoys me! :lol:

sounds about right. The cycle path up to Bathgate is great I love it

Yeah enjoyed it, my mate wanted to stick to main roads on way up as he thought the path was full of glass and bad roads but persuaded him to go on the path and he enjoyed it. Prefer that to main road too as you can cycle side by side.

There is a cycling shop in Airdrie next to the Kwik Fit in the town centre. Never been but apparently it is good.

Mine squeak when oily

They aren't oily though. I've got a disc brake cleaner spray (Muc Off) which I'll give a bash but to be honest I probably wouldn't mind paying for new discs if I knew it would rid me of that awful squealing sound.

I've got a friend whose front tyre keeps going flat, even after changing the tube.

The obvious reason is something in the tyre, but she can't see anything - but it could easily be something incredibly tiny. Does anyone have any tips on locating small items that might be embedded in a tyre?

I've got a friend whose front tyre keeps going flat, even after changing the tube.

The obvious reason is something in the tyre, but she can't see anything - but it could easily be something incredibly tiny. Does anyone have any tips on locating small items that might be embedded in a tyre?

I know it sounds obvious, but has she checked the rim? There could be a spoke coming through or something similar.

Use it pretty much every day cycling to work. I had it looked at and the pads were contaminated with oil so they were replaced so the squealing disappeared for a bit but soon returned.

It seems to be especially bad when bringing myself to a complete stop.

I know it's mainly a cosmetic thing but it really annoys me! :lol:

Try removing the pads and lightly coating the back of the pad with copper grease... Try not to get any of the copper grease on the pads rubbing surface when you refit them though..It might affect your stopping distance... :P

I am based near Bellshill, can anyone recommend a decent local bike shop for me?

Is it to buy a bike or to get it serviced? There's a guy in a unit in Hamilton who fixes bikes and is cheap as a very cheap thing. I think it's his hobby more than anything.

If that's what you're after give the guy a phone.

http://www.hamiltonbikes.co.uk/

Did the Robert Millar KotM Sportive 45 mile route today. Fintry to Kippen, back to Fintry over the Top of the World, then Crow Road, Tak Ma Doon and back. Time was aboit 3.45. Couple of my mates did the 90 mile route which threw in Loch Katrine as well.

One of them ran out of water and says he was thinking about drinking out of a puddle!

Only a few days until I do the Arran Bike Run for Yorkhill. 77 miles in total, far more than I've ever cycled. Don't think I've put in near enough practice so could be a wreck at the end :-(

http://www.justgiving.com/Jim-Waddell

Good luck with it.

You'll get carried by the occasion if this is your first big ride, so don't worry too much about the mileage involved.

I fancy cycling round Arran. I've always like the island since taking family holidays there, and reckon it would be a great route.

Went out tonight unfortunately didn't take map my ride with me, when I am trying to recreate the route I went to find out how many miles it was when I'm mapping the route on map my ride it is automatically switching the route to the fastest possible way rather than the actual way I took. Is there any tips on how to fix this?

Started off at Chapel Street in Airdrie, up to the Fourways then all the way down that hill past the sports centre to Carlisle Road, through Chapelhall and Salsburgh, turning in up at the TV mast at Harthill then taking the backroads all the way back to Moffat Mills in Airdrie near Caldervale school. Cycling back through Clarkston and taking on the hill at the sports centre at the very end up towards the Fourways. Did it in around an hour and 20 minutes and my mate reckons it is about 22 miles.

Would be nice to see how long it was, fantastic route as well with plenty of climbs and great scenery.

In the last 2 days I have had a car pull out a junction right infront of me which had to pass head on on my left as i went into the other lane to avoid it and had a woman turning into a side street crossing oncoming traffic get about a yard away from me before she seen me and stopped. Cycling to work is a dangerous game!

In the last 2 days I have had a car pull out a junction right infront of me which had to pass head on on my left as i went into the other lane to avoid it and had a woman turning into a side street crossing oncoming traffic get about a yard away from me before she seen me and stopped. Cycling to work is a dangerous game!

I had a very angry man behind me this morning.

The traffic island makes the road too narrow for safe overtaking, but after my shoulder check I knew he was going to try. So I indicated "keep back" which is what prompted the horn.

I overtook him again just round the corner when he got stuck in traffic.