Official P&b Cycling Thread

At last!.

Finally a good days weather predicted for this weekend in and around Arran.

5 Ferries Challenge here we come

Did this on Saturday in brilliant conditions

Can't recommend it highly enough and now dying to do it again

If any of you out there are looking for something a wee bit different, you should give this a go.

Two nippy climbs on the route, one before you descend into Lochranza and the other up Glen Caladh, but worth it for a spectacular view back down the Sound Of Bute, but the rest is basically fine

The route we did was 78 miles and cost £16.60 for the Ferry hopscotch ticket .

Definitely one for a dry day though

Cycled to Newton Mearns, East Kilbride, Stathaven and then back to Kilmarnock via Darvel on Saturday.

55 miles all in but the last 20 from strathaven to Kilmarnock was horrible, wind in my face the whole way and very hilly. Not a route I'd do again in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going in for the Cyclescheme as it seems a decent deal although I'll mainly be cycling to the train station and possibly along the canal. My ambition is to cycle to Falkirk games which are a reasonable distance away.

What's the deal with the options at the end of the scheme? If you end up paying for the bike again does that not negate the savings made through tax?

I'm hoping to get a Jamis Novas Sport 2015 Crossbike providing it's still on sale when the certificate eventually comes through. Anybody have any opinions on that bike (I haven't cycled since I was 15)

After the cycle scheme year's up they contact you and ask you if you want to pay a one off fee for an extended three years lease. After the three years the bikes yours.

I got a road bike and helmet for £600, worked out about £30 a month ish, then had to pay a one off £16. So it's a worth while saving.

The maximum spend your allowed is a grand but you can buy accessories as well, helmet, lights, shoes, cleats etc. Wish I got more accessories at the time.

After the cycle scheme year's up they contact you and ask you if you want to pay a one off fee for an extended three years lease. After the three years the bikes yours.

I got a road bike and helmet for £600, worked out about £30 a month ish, then had to pay a one off £16. So it's a worth while saving.

The maximum spend your allowed is a grand but you can buy accessories as well, helmet, lights, shoes, cleats etc. Wish I got more accessories at the time.

Cheers! I thought you'd end up paying another £100 or so, I'm going for £600 all in too so I should be something similar hopefully. I'm with you in maybe wanting to get more accessories but at the moment I'm not sure whether I'll take to it or just sit in my cupboard so didn't want to go too overboard. Plus, Evans seems like a rip for the accessories so I think i'll be able to source the stuff cheaper elsewhere.

Depends on the company is my understanding. The £1000 rule is because your employer is effectively acting as a credit company, there is a blanket license allowing companies to advance up to £1000 without having to fulfil the onerous obligations of actual credit agencies. If you own your own company you can buy any bike you like and repay nothing - as I say that's my understanding.

Went for a Retul bike fit last week. A bit pricey, but it was highly recomended and I enjoyed the experience.

They put my saddle up an inch and forward an inch. Only been out once since, so too early to assess if I'm quicker, but I'll see how it goes the next few weeks.

Just seen a GCN video about a quick bike wash and using WD40 to degrease and lube the chain/cassette. Would it be ok to do this until I get a proper degreaser and lube at the end of the month?

I'd say no problem.

For general cleaning and a rough clean of the chain I recommend Swarfega wipes. You get a big re-sealable tub in Halfords and they are spot on.

The experts will tell you regular use of WD40 will dry your chain out leading to it snapping but who really knows?

I bonked so f*cking hard today. Utterly lush day for being on the bike but was out without a proper big breakfast. At about the 80 mile mark I just ground to a halt and the last 40 were at 10mph. Not even enough energy to dial up and hit the downhills with any aggression.

I bonked so f*cking hard today. Utterly lush day for being on the bike but was out without a proper big breakfast. At about the 80 mile mark I just ground to a halt and the last 40 were at 10mph. Not even enough energy to dial up and hit the downhills with any aggression.

You stupid, stupid boy! ;)

Seriously though, it's daft going out on a run like that without having a decent breakfast inside you and also eating and drinking lots during the ride.

I'm becoming more and more a fan of good old Scottish Tablet when out to give energy levels an instant boost , as its basically just pure sugar you're eating.

This was recommended by one of the older guys in our club, who used to cycle and race at quite a high standard and says that's what all the guys used to take before " all these poofy,fucking gels" came I to fashion

Went for a Retul bike fit last week. A bit pricey, but it was highly recomended and I enjoyed the experience.

They put my saddle up an inch and forward an inch. Only been out once since, so too early to assess if I'm quicker, but I'll see how it goes the next few weeks.

At Velocity44?

Give it a good few hundred miles before you decide whether it's worked out.

After I had mine done, I wasn't sure if there had been an improvement and wondered whether I'd wasted my money. Once my legs got used to the new position, though, there was a massive difference in power output and comfort on the bike.

Guy at work has been following his brother compete in the Transcontinental 2015 race this last 2 weeks.

A bike race from Belguim to Istanbul (changes route yearly) with a number of check points you have to go through, this year Mount Ventoux was on of the checkpoints.

http://www.transcontinental.cc/

The winner completed in 9 days at an average of around 400km a day, 20 hours riding a day.

His brother completed on Sunday, the day after the offical party at the end. Some good images on twitter using #tcr2015 from some of the riders.

Puts my meagre distances into some kind of context.

Edited by Gogs Grog

Guy at work has been following his brother compete in the Transcontinental 2015 race this last 2 weeks.

A bike race from Belguim to Istanbul (changes route yearly) with a number of check points you have to go through, this year Mount Ventoux was on of the checkpoints.

http://www.transcontinental.cc

The winner completed in 9 days at an average of around 400km a day, 20 hours riding a day.

His brother completed on Sunday, the day after the offical party at the end. Some good images on twitter using #tcr2015 from some of the riders.

Puts my meagre distances into some kind of context.

For some reason, when you click on your link,it takes you back to page 1 of the P&B cycling thread !

Just looked at the website though.

That's unreal mileage in some extremely tough terrain,so massive respect for all who completed this

This aside, what I'd say is , don't fall into the trap that many cyclists do and get hooked on distances covered.

I've done runs up to 132 miles and runs half that distance which have been much harder due to the amount of climbing involved.

I'm away offshore online through a satellite so internet is pretty shite which may explain the link problems.

For what it's worth, I agree about distances. I'm lucky enough to have some decent hills near me and try to take at least one in a ride.

Edit to add: Hopefully that link will work now.

Edited by Gogs Grog

I was just about doored by a stupid bint on my way home today. A narrow side-street with parking down one side. Just about to pass a car and the driver's door swings open.

The driver's response - "it's not something you expect to look for, a bike".

my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg