Golfers Thread

Gaz

On 05/05/2024 at 16:54, D Angelo Barksdale said:

I reckon I usually have around 25-30 scoring rounds per year, although I play on a links that's in decent nick all year round.

Game is in the shitter atm though.

Thanks for this. I would have expected a minimum of 20 scoring rounds a year for me but looking more closely at last year I hardly played in April (football) and only 1 mid week counter all season. Need to change that this year.

1 hour ago, Smithers Jones said:

Thanks for this. I would have expected a minimum of 20 scoring rounds a year for me but looking more closely at last year I hardly played in April (football) and only 1 mid week counter all season. Need to change that this year.

Do you Gen Play at all? I pretty much put a card in for every round I play 

Confirmed that Bob MacIntyre is in the field for the USPGA. Hopefully he can have a good week at the Myrtle Beach Classic while all the big names are at the Wells Fargo. Aberg missing this weekend with a knee injury. 

Appears that LIV golfers Talor Gooch and David Puig have been given special invites to play in the USPGA. Like Niemann earlier in the year, Puig has been bursting his arse to try and get his ranking up, and a run of good finishes on the Asian tour has him up to 106th on the OWGR, just outside the 100 that would normally see him get in to the USPGA. 

Gooch on the other hand has made no attempt to either get his ranking up (currently 644th) or qualify for any of the Opens. His attitude seems to be that winning a few LIV events makes him the best golfer in the world, don't think anyone has ever put more pressure on themself to perform in a major.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Confirmed that Bob MacIntyre is in the field for the USPGA. Hopefully he can have a good week at the Myrtle Beach Classic while all the big names are at the Wells Fargo.

Good news that Bob is in the PGA field. Laird and Knox also in the field at Myrtle Beach. 
https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/2024/myrtle-beach-classic/R2024553

I like Ian Carter’s bit on BBC website on Gooch being in the PGA field:- “Well we can all breathe easy that Gooch will be at Valhalla. There will be no questioning the validity of the eventual winner given that this Oklahoma native, a man with zero top-10 major finishes, is in the field. “ 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Posted (edited)
On 05/05/2024 at 16:49, Smithers Jones said:

Out of interest, how many medal cards do you all post over the season? I felt like I played most Saturdays last season from April to the end of September but it appears I only played in 12 handicap counters which doesn't seem like many.  The rest was taken up with Scrambles, pairs, other team comps etc.

I’m retired and play a lot of golf. I had 57 counting cards between beginning of April and end of October last year. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

22 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Do you Gen Play at all? I pretty much put a card in for every round I play 

I've never handed in a Gen Play card. Anything which isn't a counter tends to be 10-14 holes after work in the summer. Some Sunday full rounds with someone who isn't a member. I think I need to rethink the cards posted based on the number of rounds you have all mentioned 😄

27 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

I've never handed in a Gen Play card. Anything which isn't a counter tends to be 10-14 holes after work in the summer. Some Sunday full rounds with someone who isn't a member. I think I need to rethink the cards posted based on the number of rounds you have all mentioned 😄

10-14 holes still counts these days (as does individual scores in a Better-Ball, although I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that development...)

One of the Liv bots on X is on about the the transfer window now being open so players can now be moved between teams no fee involved apart from Swafford and Anthony Kim as they are the wildcard entries ....yes a pile of manure basically 

8 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Read a bit about Talor Gooch getting an invite to the USPGA. He seems a bit of a walloper 

He's certainly got a very high opinion of himself for someone who has achieved relatively f**k all. 6 majors so far missing the cut in half of them, and maybe his two finishes of 12th and 42nd on the Asian tour last year explain why he has avoided playing on it this year. 

27 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

He's certainly got a very high opinion of himself for someone who has achieved relatively f**k all. 6 majors so far missing the cut in half of them, and maybe his two finishes of 12th and 42nd on the Asian tour last year explain why he has avoided playing on it this year. 

Didn’t he say the Masters winner should have an asterisk beside it because the best LIV players weren’t there? Or something along this lines 

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Didn’t he say the Masters winner should have an asterisk beside it because the best LIV players weren’t there? Or something along this lines 

I'm sure he said something monumentally stupid about the Ryder Cup too

Lovely round in the sun today. Been striping it on the range - really hitting it nicely so was looking forward to posting a good score.

Of course I went out and started double bogey, quadruple bogey...

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm sure he said something monumentally stupid about the Ryder Cup too

Aye. Said a LIV event in Portland, Oregon was a better atmosphere than playing at the Ryder Cup…….an event im almost positive he has never played in 

15 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Aye. Said a LIV event in Portland, Oregon was a better atmosphere than playing at the Ryder Cup…….an event im almost positive he has never played in 

Yep, he's a fud. It would be like me saying the atmosphere at a Petershill v St. Roch's games is better than a Superclasico in Buenos Aires.

Twitter was full of tweets from LIVbots the other week when they were playing in front of huge crowds in Australia. Not so much at the weekend when next to no c**t showed up to watch in Singapore. 

Laird in at -2 Knoxy at +1 and Boab tees off at 1747 our time ..leaders floating between 8-6 under in round 1 at Myrtle beach