Golfers Thread

Gaz

43 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

This is well worth a watch. I hope he manages to hold on to his humility. What a guy.

Brilliant interview.  He is so grounded and as close as you can get to the definition of "One of our own"

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

This is well worth a watch. I hope he manages to hold on to his humility. What a guy.

There must have been a couple of caddies watching last night thinking "Fuuuuuuucck!"

Edited by peasy23

10 hours ago, RH33 said:

Nipped onto BBC see how he was getting on and zero news.

Same. The BBC had someone up until the back of 2am on Saturday giving live coverage of Djokovic v Musetti in the French Open, but the world's largest news organisation couldn't post about a Scot winning a significant golf tournament until the morning shift came in?

Bob going through plenty of caddies, but CT Pan had 4 during yesterday's round after the legendary Fluff Cowan slipped and fell early in the round. A fan carried the bag for one hole, before caddie services sent a replacement. Paul Barjon's regular bag man Al Riddell lives nearby and turned up to do the back 9.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Same. The BBC had someone up until the back of 2am on Saturday giving live coverage of Djokovic v Musetti in the French Open, but the world's largest news organisation couldn't post about a Scot winning a significant golf tournament until the morning shift came in?

Oh come on Gordon, a Scot winning a national golf Open is never going to usurp the death of an English rugby player, French Open tennis or Southgate's preparation for the Euros, izzit ?

At least, this is how the Guardian viewed Boab's achievement. The cvnts.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Now the dust has settled, Bob should be hugely commended for how he has managed to turn around what was a very ropey start in the states. In the last month and a bit he’s had a 13th, two top 10’s and a win. There’s been a couple of missed cuts in there but I think that’s always going to happen to a guy who tends to play aggressively and is still finding his feet on a new tour. The difference in his putting has been night and day and he seems to have found a new routine that really works for him.

We’re entering a run of good events which he will now be involved in after his win. Hopefully he can really build on this and just focus on making cuts and see where it takes him. I see in his press conference after he had calmed down a bit that he said he will be playing this coming weekend which is a wise move when you are in good form.

Just watched that interview, what a boy. Still sounds like he's got to sort out where he lives but he cannot argue with the results he's getting. Maybe he can start a Shinty team in Orlando to keep him happy :lol:

12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Now the dust has settled, Bob should be hugely commended for how he has managed to turn around what was a very ropey start in the states. In the last month and a bit he’s had a 13th, two top 10’s and a win. There’s been a couple of missed cuts in there but I think that’s always going to happen to a guy who tends to play aggressively and is still finding his feet on a new tour. The difference in his putting has been night and day and he seems to have found a new routine that really works for him.

We’re entering a run of good events which he will now be involved in after his win. Hopefully he can really build on this and just focus on making cuts and see where it takes him. I see in his press conference after he had calmed down a bit that he said he will be playing this coming weekend which is a wise move when you are in good form.

That's the thing, ideally you'd always be up the top of the leaderboard and if he can be then he'd be one of the best in the world. But for a player outwith that elite group I think you are far better off being like Bob in the sense that when he's at his best he can/could compete with anyone, but when he's bad he's really bad. That will get you a few missed cuts but it will also get you some big wins and high finishes in majors. Better than being a steady Eddie and finishing 35th every week.

There are plenty of players who are ahead of him in the rankings or money list who I'd say have less chance of winning a major than him. He's not as consistent but his ceiling is far higher when he's on form. Hopefully this week gives him some more self-belief.

Posted (edited)

One thing I was thinking at the weekend was that one of the criticisms of the PGA Tour is that it isn't "global" enough. When the majority of the top Yanks won't even go to Canada then there is no chance of them expanding worldwide anytime soon.

Edited by peasy23

14 hours ago, ArabGaz said:

Super stuff from Boab. Wee bit nervy towards the end but he played the 18th superbly.

Wins for Pavon and now Boab this year on the PGA tour. Some of the less-heralded (by the yanks) European lads showing that they’re capable of stepping up. 

For someone who followed golf closely in the seventies when, apart from Jacklin, even our best players did nothing on the PGA tour (until Seve came along) the competitiveness of so many Europeans in the US is great to watch.

Bob's interview is indeed a terrific watch (thanks for the link @RH33 ). Interesting hearing him talk about the mental side of the game and how he is just now really starting to get to grips with it. We've not had a world class Scot for too long. Hopefully McIntyre can go fill that good for a good time.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Bob has officially withdrawn from Memorial.

It's not that much of a shock really - he'll be done mentally after this week, and a wee break before the US Open is just the ticket tbh

Definitely a wee break needed after 5 straight tourneys. He's now got a full calendar for June/July so can't blame him for taking some r&r.

I think his schedule will now be...

Week off

US Open 

Travellers (Signature event)

Rocket Mortgage 

Week off

Scottish Open

The Open

And that takes him up to 21st July.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I think his schedule will now be...

Week off

US Open 

Travellers (Signature event)

Rocket Mortgage 

Week off

Scottish Open

The Open

And that takes him up to 21st July.

Let's hope he foregoes any invitations to play shinty during his time off. 😧

boab.thumb.jpg.50c75c517ee81058bd2fd6d3fb6f6e9d.jpg

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Adam Scott one of many big names that failed to make it through the US Open qualifiers on Monday, potentially ending a run of 91 straight majors since the 2001 Open. He lost out in a playoff to Cam Davis, but he is first alternate so still has a reasonable chance of a place in the field.

Only 2 LIV players of 17 made it through, Dean Burmester and David Puig.

Posted (edited)

Whilst playing the medal last night (rubbish score) we were discussing how the DP World Tour is completely diminished these days and how the award of 15 PGA tour cards to the top 15 on the DP World Tour (otherwise not PGA members) had weakened the fields in all but the big events. Does anyone know if there are to be a further 15 PGA cards awarded at the end of this season?  I cannot imagine that to be the case as it will weaken the DP World tour to almost Challenge Tour level.  Seems it will just accept its place as a feeder tour to the PGA which would be a great shame as I used to really enjoy watching some of the smaller events (Spanish, Italian Opens for example...)

Conversely my interest in the PGA tour has increased with McIntyre onboard and great to see so many of his fellow Europeans do so well since they moved at the end of last season.

Law and jamieson have had good first rounds in Sweden today (both tied third) Would be great to see at least one Scot graduate to the PGA at the end of the season but not looking very likely as things stand.

edited to add.....a wee bit more googling seems to suggest that there are 10 PGA cards this season DP World Tour Eligibility Rankings - PGA TOUR

Edited by Caledonian1

4 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Whilst playing the medal last night (rubbish score) we were discussing how the DP World Tour is completely diminished these days and how the award of 15 PGA tour cards to the top 15 on the DP World Tour (otherwise not PGA members) had weakened the fields in all but the big events. Does anyone know if there are to be a further 15 PGA cards awarded at the end of this season?  I cannot imagine that to be the case as it will weaken the DP World tour to almost Challenge Tour level.  Seems it will just accept its place as a feeder tour to the PGA which would be a great shame as I used to really enjoy watching some of the smaller events (Spanish, Italian Opens for example...)

Conversely my interest in the PGA tour has increased with McIntyre onboard and great to see so many of his fellow Europeans do so well since they moved at the end of last season.

Law and jamieson have had good first rounds in Sweden today (both tied third) Would be great to see at least one Scot graduate to the PGA at the end of the season but not looking very likely as things stand.

edited to add.....a wee bit more googling seems to suggest that there are 10 PGA cards this season DP World Tour Eligibility Rankings - PGA TOUR

Pretty sure it was ten last season too.  I remember Keith Pelley, the Neil Doncaster of golf administration, insisting that this did not make (what used to be) the European tour a feeder tour.  OK Keith.

I'm with you in that I didn't bother watching a lot of regular PGA tour events before this year other than Bay Hill and the Players, but Bob being on it has boosted my interest. Nice to see Pavon winning too.

I always watched a fair bit of the PGA Tour anyway, but I've certainly watched a lot less DPWT this year.

Championship qualy round 3 this morning, tough going, but hit my best score of the 3 rounds with a nett 74. Some long holes playing very short and some shortish holes playing very long.