Golfers Thread

Gaz

46 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

His golf is electric at times (as it was today) but what makes xander dull to me is his overall demeanour. He’s so robotic. What I love about Spieth is his eccentricities such as talking furiously to the ball and his amusing interactions with Greller

Definitely, watching Speith is never dull, but seeing what Scheffler and Schauffele have achieved this year it's obvious which demeanour is more effective for winning golf tournaments. 

52 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Was a good Open, and was shaping up to be a great final round - right up to the point where Xander reached -8. That was the end of any chance of a nail biting finish. I don’t think Xander is a dullard college-raised robot Yank. Seems a decent bloke. The Yanks might indeed have some dullards, God botherers, or outright fannies like Patrick Reed, but hey, we’ve got big happy chops Hatton.

Some round of golf, but I wanted a nail biting finish. Booo! 

Shoorely you mean Big Happy Chops MC Hatton............and Bottle Job MC McIlroy................and MC's Tommeh, Viktor & Ludvig.........yadda,yadda

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

It was an outstanding round tbf and he's gone from someone who looked like he was going to be a nearly man to arguably the most likely to complete the grand slam out of anyone currently playing given his Masters and US Open records.

I think it was the week before the PGA that he was leading going into the back 9 and then collapsed. At that point if he'd said he'd end the year with two victories, let alone two majors, he'd have probably been laughed off the course. It's been some turnaround. 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think it was the week before the PGA that he was leading going into the back 9 and then collapsed. At that point if he'd said he'd end the year with two victories, let alone two majors, he'd have probably been laughed off the course. It's been some turnaround. 

I was mumping and moaning a bit towards the end and the missus asked what was up. I explained to her that I backed him in majors for years but that in the last few years he had looked like a serial bottler in the really big tourneys so I had given up. And now the fecker has won 2.

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I was mumping and moaning a bit towards the end and the missus asked what was up. I explained to her that I backed him in majors for years but that in the last few years he had looked like a serial bottler in the really big tourneys so I had given up. And now the fecker has won 2.

Ahhh the old Vijay Singh affect....same story for me with the aforementioned Vijay 🤣

34 minutes ago, Delicate Flower said:

Get it right up the Rose lovers (weirdos). Best man won.

Of course the best man won, that's the nature of the game. 

Not sure if you're trolling or not but why the hate for Rose?

Edited by Loonytoons

20 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I find it absolutely bizarre that they lose their minds over someone having a smoke. Them wanking themselves silly over Charley Hull smoking a cigarette on a golf course for weeks on end was weird. Jimenez and his cigar was cool, someone smoking a Mayfair just doesn’t really do it for me.

Apparently Schauffele is a bit of a stogie afficionado after his old man introduced him to smoking at age 10. 😮

11 hours ago, printer said:

Did he comply with the rule?

Nice facts m8.

It isn't. Anyone moaning about how dull Schauffele, Scheffler are either doesn't really appreciate golf or is an attention seeker.

What sh*te.

Totally wrong there. It's possible to not take to a great golfer because they are boring / annoying even if they're great players. Examples: Davis Love III, Duval back in the day as well as the two Schs now (and Harman, W Clark, etc.). Cantlay is also brilliant but deeply unlikeable. Silly to imply that means someone doesn't know about golf or is attention seeking. I can appreciate the f4ck out of the play of all of the above but find them extremely dull as people. 

A great day out at Troon, in the morning in particular tho it was freezing, felt more like October than July! 

xander deserved winner played some excellent golf to finish, unfortunately he was too good which ruined a potential all time finish for an open!! 

Boab drops to 17th in owgr and also to 17th on the FedEx ,I would imagine won't play again until the FedEx play offs begin in mid August at the st jude,

Laird and Knox need some big weeks before then just to keep there cards 

Quite amusing reading some comments on who folk like and dislike. We're all different. I quite like Hatton. Seen him a couple of times at events signing autographs/speaking to spectators and having a laugh with them. He was on a podcast recently and they were talking about his temper/frustrations on the course. One of the guys asked if it would make a difference if he designed his own course which Hatton replied with "I'd still find something to moan about" 😂He is a moody shite on the course so I can see why folk dislike him. 

Queues for food and drink were a bit of a disgrace yesterday and they must have missed out on a fortune with people choosing to not bother. My group would have had another 4/5 easy if queues were reasonable. Getting back to glasgow was a doddle though. Had been concerned that would take ages 

1 hour ago, dave_binos said:

Quite amusing reading some comments on who folk like and dislike. We're all different. I quite like Hatton. Seen him a couple of times at events signing autographs/speaking to spectators and having a laugh with them. He was on a podcast recently and they were talking about his temper/frustrations on the course. One of the guys asked if it would make a difference if he designed his own course which Hatton replied with "I'd still find something to moan about" 😂He is a moody shite on the course so I can see why folk dislike him. 

No doubt a lot of players who come over as one thing on TV are the opposite off the course, and vice versa. I do find a lot of the Americans to be either God bothering dullards, robotic college types, or just complete arseholes. As I said in a previous post though, maybe there’s American fans who look at moaning-faced Hatton and think ‘arsehole’. Pretty sure the ‘Postman’ riled a few Yanks, as well as a few Brits, Ryder Cup efforts not withstanding. Garcia is a p***k, Montgomerie stormed about like he was chewing a wasp. Seve got under people’s skin. I remember being at the Johnnie Walker at Gleneagles once. Montgomerie was playing the uphill 18th. I think the official name of it is ‘Kuntofahole’. Anyway, someone in the crowd made a noise, farted or something. Montgomerie strode over and gave them the death stare. Ten minutes later, up at the green, Sam Torrance was about to putt and a kid sitting at the greenside reached into his bag of crisps and loudly crunched. Torrance walked over, leaned down, took the crisps, ate a couple and handed the bag back to the kid. Laughter all around.

Maybe Montgomerie was good at signing autographs though. I have no idea. I’ve heard stories that Paul Lawrie, for example is absolutely fantastic with kids and fans in general. I guess you just never know the good guys from the wanks sometimes.

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

No doubt a lot of players who come over as one thing on TV are the opposite off the course, and vice versa. I do find a lot of the Americans to be either God bothering dullards, robotic college types, or just complete arseholes. As I said in a previous post though, maybe there’s American fans who look at moaning-faced Hatton and think ‘arsehole’. Pretty sure the ‘Postman’ riled a few Yanks, as well as a few Brits, Ryder Cup efforts not withstanding. Garcia is a p***k, Montgomerie stormed about like he was chewing a wasp. Seve got under people’s skin. I remember being at the Johnnie Walker at Gleneagles once. Montgomerie was playing the uphill 18th. I think the official name of it is ‘Kuntofahole’. Anyway, someone in the crowd made a noise, farted or something. Montgomerie strode over and gave them the death stare. Ten minutes later, up at the green, Sam Torrance was about to putt and a kid sitting at the greenside reached into his bag of crisps and loudly crunched. Torrance walked over, leaned down, took the crisps, ate a couple and handed the bag back to the kid. Laughter all around.

Maybe Montgomerie was good at signing autographs though. I have no idea. I’ve heard stories that Paul Lawrie, for example is absolutely fantastic with kids and fans in general. I guess you just never know the good guys from the wanks sometimes.

A lot of posters seem to be pretty certain nonetheless. Personally when I'm watching golf I couldn't give f**k about how "dull" someone looks or whether they sign loads of autographs etc. I'm watching the quality of their golf. Yesterday Xander's was impeccable, back nine especially, and it was a pleasure to watch. A worthy champion.

2 minutes ago, printer said:

A lot of posters seem to be pretty certain nonetheless. Personally when I'm watching golf I couldn't give f**k about how "dull" someone looks or whether they sign loads of autographs etc. I'm watching the quality of their golf. Yesterday Xander's was impeccable, back nine especially, and it was a pleasure to watch. A worthy champion.

Indeed. Scottie S is a great golfer, I loved Montgomerie’s Ryder Cup heroics, and bought into the Postman’s antics at Ryder Cups too. The guy I have little time for is Tiger Woods. Can’t stand the kunt actually… guy was a genius though, and an important figure in golf in so many ways.

Each to their own.