Golfers Thread

Gaz

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

f**k G4S. Dicks who were bullied at school who now think it’s ok to throw there “authority” about 

I kinda would get it if they organised it well with set signings or had a fan ambassador running it to make sure the bigger kids werent pushing the others out the way, my wee guys just a youngster and was scared to be on his own but was really wanting to meet golfers, he bought himself a wee autograph book and now doesnt want to go back to a golf tournament. 

16 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I kinda would get it if they organised it well with set signings or had a fan ambassador running it to make sure the bigger kids werent pushing the others out the way, my wee guys just a youngster and was scared to be on his own but was really wanting to meet golfers, he bought himself a wee autograph book and now doesnt want to go back to a golf tournament. 

Ladies Scottish Open is at Dundonald next month, would be much quieter I’d imagine, he wouldn’t know any of the players I assume but could be an idea to show him it’s not always as chaotic. 

4 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Ladies Scottish Open is at Dundonald next month, would be much quieter I’d imagine, he wouldn’t know any of the players I assume but could be an idea to show him it’s not always as chaotic. 

And then the Dunhill links in September. 

Senior Open at Carnoustie in two weeks as well.

Although I’m sure I read on here that it’s a shite course nowhere near the level of the Old Course

ETA: I can’t count. It’s next week.

Just put me down for a 5, Hector.

Edited by Mark Connolly

Are there any golfer who refuse to sign autographs? Does Tiger bother? I know at the Ryder Cup the Europeans were very kind with their time. The Americans less so. In saying that, seen the likes of Spieth and Fowler always giving up their time. Good guys! 

29 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Troon looks absolutely fantastic. 😍😬

Having walked the whole course on Monday it looked immaculate all round, as you would expect tbf. Goes without saying but players will be looking to be -2 or -3 through the first 6 holes, especially with 2 par 5s and a few (by pro standards) short par 4s.. The rough doesn't look too bad tbh, if the wind doesn't get above the 15mph forecast then there could be plenty of low scores.

28 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Are there any golfer who refuse to sign autographs? Does Tiger bother? I know at the Ryder Cup the Europeans were very kind with their time. The Americans less so. In saying that, seen the likes of Spieth and Fowler always giving up their time. Good guys! 

Tiger doesnt bother, Max Homa doesnt seem to either and Ludvig Aberg gave kids the ‘ill sign later’ whilst getting into a car clearly leaving the place. Ive heard Bryson is good at signing etc and that Speith does too!  It takes two seconds for these guys to sign a few things at the end of a round for kids who’ll remember it forever. Ive always remembered Ernie Els giving me a high five as a 13 year old. 

On 14/07/2024 at 21:10, PrestersKTID said:

Buzzing for Bob, shot on 16 was outrageous and Putt on 18 to win was clutch. 
lot of hate on Twitter for the drop he got. You need a bit of luck and rules of golf are exploited all the time. 

woods got a bunch of fans to lift a boulder out the way of his ball one tournament. 

9 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Yanks still raging about Boab. As if Americans don't do this every week

Seem to remember Spieth using the rules 'to full advantage' at Birkdale in 2016 when he ended up hitting from the driving range after 'taking relief'.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Obviously ridiculous, but the rules don't specify that you have to be able to shift a "moveable obstruction" by yourself. 

Speith worked the rulebook perfectly at Birkdale, it's every pro players job to know the rules inside out. The one thing that day that was wrong imo was that the driving range should have been OB.

I know I said we would be calling Bob's drop utter BS if he wasn't Scottish, but I've never said he was wrong to use the rules properly. It was a huge stroke of luck, but he still had to hit a stunning shot and sink the putt to take advantage of it.

There are lots of questionable drops every year, worst one this year IMO was Schauffele claiming line of sight relief from an object that was impossible for him to hit from where he was. A clear window to hit a punch shot to the green my arse.

Read a couple of things online suggesting that at more modern courses sprinklers in the rough might be quite common. Apparently it's standard practice to fit them to make sure there is enough water to get the rough to grow quickly, rather than just leave it to nature. Once the rough is established they just never use them again.

32 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Yanks still raging about Boab. As if Americans don't do this every week

Dottie Pepper is a slavering idiot 

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Tiger doesnt bother, Max Homa doesnt seem to either and Ludvig Aberg gave kids the ‘ill sign later’ whilst getting into a car clearly leaving the place. Ive heard Bryson is good at signing etc and that Speith does too!  It takes two seconds for these guys to sign a few things at the end of a round for kids who’ll remember it forever. Ive always remembered Ernie Els giving me a high five as a 13 year old. 

TBF when I saw Aberg today at the 12th green, he spent ages signing stuff. The only person I saw be a bit of a dick was Min Woo Lee, who told a group of kids in the grandstand at 18 that it was "a bit too high" to chuck them a ball shortly after playing partners McIlroy, McKibbin and Ryan Fox and their caddies had been launching them to all and sundry. Although, in his defence, the wee dicks had been giving it "*insert player name*, can I have yer ball?" constantly for about an hour, so I'd have given them f**k all too.

General thoughts: Scheffler's footwork is even more incredible up close - I genuinely couldn't understand how he doesn't fall on his arse all the time. Bryson absolutely murders the thing off the tee, and he seems to be continuing his face turn judging by his interactions with officials and spectators. If, like me, you bet on Jordan Spieth, the sound of him loudly telling one of the Open media guys he didn't want company for his round as he "is working on a few things" will have you checking the cashout value.

There seem to be cameras in the faces of all the bunkers at the Postage Stamp, so expect some tremendous close ups of folk who have left it in there.

I love an Open at Troon, the place seems so much better suited to it than some of the other venues.