Golfers Thread

Gaz

I haven't really been updating my "golf" exploits on here this season, mainly because it's been a bit of a slog - having finished last season  early due to an operation in August with a personal low handicap/HI of 4.9, I was fully expecting this year to be a challenge as I had no lead-in to the season. And so it has turned out - I've so far played over 50 competitive rounds this season and not only failed to pick up any prize money, I've failed to record a single Magic 2 in well over 200 attempts. That's nothing sort of brutal for a so-called single-figure player.

There have been some green shoots of recovery recently, and I even managed a couple of downward HI adjustments to get down from 7.6 to 6.9 (albeit without troubling the leaderboard), however I wasn't prepared for getting to the turn at Ladybank in a trouble-free 37 (+1). Neither was my playing partner, who had been very impressed with the quality of my ball striking and putting. Given recent form, I told him to "watch me shoot 47 on the way home, though!", not thinking for one minute that I'd need to sink a 6-footer on the last to achieve exactly that. The highlight of the back 9 was a bladed bunker shot into trees at the par 3 10th which cost me a 6 and moved me from +1 to +4 in about 5 minutes of golf. Or was it the shanked 100-yard approach shot into heather at the par 5 13th which turned a realistic birdie opportunity into a scrambled double-bogey? Or maybe the 3-putt from 15 feet at the 17th?

Anyway, this f**king game... 🙄

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I like Clober, im just wary cos its over the bridge a bit and one of my issues with current place is getting back for school pick up etc, whereas Kilmacolm/Erskine/Gleddoch are just a wee drive away and i can take my son to play a few holes after school some times. 

I don't understand why Erskine is so bloody expensive. Plenty James Braid courses about. I did couple shifts and it's not like the facilities are top range.

I liked the members at Clober when I worked there, and I know enough about golf to know a well kept course. But get that it's that wee bit further out.

No idea about Kilmacolm but the chiropractor on the main street is great! Gleddoch probably best shout from where you are. I'm assuming Marr Hall has been bought as was in administration.

Completely losing my shit with golf these passed 5-6 weeks, losing balls right left and centre! Probably practiced more than Iv ever practiced but can’t seem to transfer anything from the range to the golf course! It’s like two different sports! 

why do we put ourselves through this????

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

I don't understand why Erskine is so bloody expensive. Plenty James Braid courses about. I did couple shifts and it's not like the facilities are top range.

I liked the members at Clober when I worked there, and I know enough about golf to know a well kept course. But get that it's that wee bit further out.

No idea about Kilmacolm but the chiropractor on the main street is great! Gleddoch probably best shout from where you are. I'm assuming Marr Hall has been bought as was in administration.

My worry about Gleddoch is that it might go like the Carrick with the corporate days blocking off play, for example at my place, there are over 4 midweek days in the next two weeks (i can only play mon-fri) booked out by corporate golf days, ive now had in excess of 25 days this summer where I couldnt access the course. I have heard Marr hall needs a lot of work, but ultimately it’ll go the same way trying to attract bookings. I think im talking myself into Kilmacolm because its close, its a better course and seems like it doesnt have the access issues! 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I had 3 of them in the medal last week.

Unfortunately none of them were at the correct hole for my class to win money

Not a fan of nominated Magic 2 holes, tbh - thankfully neither Ladybank nor Tulliallan has gone down that route. Not that 4 chances a round has done me any good... 😥

Just watching the Peter Finch podcast and he's saying Augusta are letting 100 people play the course for a snip at 30k a pop, just in case anyone's got a spare holiday home they can sell and fancy treating themselves.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Just watching the Peter Finch podcast and he's saying Augusta are letting 100 people play the course for a snip at 30k a pop, just in case anyone's got a spare holiday home they can sell and fancy treating themselves.

That tory w**k Seb Carmichael-Brown got to play it with Rick shiels last year. Lost it’s allure for me after that 

21 hours ago, RH33 said:

I grew up in Johnstone and was a member at Lochwinnoch for 36 years before moving from Renfrewshire for work reasons twenty years ago. My best mate at Lochwinnoch, also of over thirty years, moved to West Lothian for work reasons, and plays at Deer Park in Livingston. When we meet up, there’s always a story about some Renfrewshire club being in trouble, and rumours of their demise. We still talk about the courses that were at close hand to Johnstone, and Kilbarchan, where he lived. It’s mental - Lochwinnoch, Kilbirnie, Beith, Cochrane Castle, Ranfurly Castle, Old Ranfurly, Paisley GC, Ralston, Renfrew, Gleddoch, Mar Hall, Erskine, Fereneze, Kilmacolm, Elderslie… there’s 15 without even stopping to think. I must have missed a few, without going too far from Johnstone/Paisley as the epicentre.

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I grew up in Johnstone and was a member at Lochwinnoch for 36 years before moving from Renfrewshire for work reasons twenty years ago. My best mate at Lochwinnoch, also of over thirty years, moved to West Lothian for work reasons, and plays at Deer Park in Livingston. When we meet up, there’s always a story about some Renfrewshire club being in trouble, and rumours of their demise. We still talk about the courses that were at close hand to Johnstone, and Kilbarchan, where he lived. It’s mental - Lochwinnoch, Kilbirnie, Beith, Cochrane Castle, Ranfurly Castle, Old Ranfurly, Paisley GC, Ralston, Renfrew, Gleddoch, Mar Hall, Erskine, Fereneze, Kilmacolm, Elderslie… there’s 15 without even stopping to think. I must have missed a few, without going too far from Johnstone/Paisley as the epicentre.

Milngavie/bearsden have heaps too

Windyhill, Douglas park, Milngavie, bearsden, clober, Glasgow Golf Club, Hilton park, Dougalston!

3 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Milngavie/bearsden have heaps too

Windyhill, Douglas park, Milngavie, bearsden, clober, Glasgow Golf Club, Hilton park, Dougalston!

Same where I am - Dullatur, Westerwood, Crow Wood, Kilsyth Lennox, Kirkintilloch, Hayston, Lenzie, Cawder, Bishopbriggs… and the courses in Falkirk aren’t far from Cumbernauld either.

Edited by pozbaird

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Telegraph giving the decision to appoint Bradley as Ryder Cup captain both barrels:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/us/sports/golf/keegan-bradley-us-ryder-cup-2025-captainancy/

I think a lot of it was to do with the flak they copped last year for Zach's clique getting picked, Bradley has the makings of a decent captain imo. I posted last week though that it's a bit embarrassing that the captain is playing far better than most of the potential team.

He could play, not pick himself for the first 2 days and then go out first for the singles. That way he’s still playing but is still able to be the standard captain for the vast majority of the tournament and will get to manage the business end of things on Sunday. 

6 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

He could play, not pick himself for the first 2 days and then go out first for the singles. That way he’s still playing but is still able to be the standard captain for the vast majority of the tournament and will get to manage the business end of things on Sunday. 

not very patriotic that? pick himself all 5 matches, 1st out every round. U S A!

Just put the golf on and Scheffler is 13 under after thirteen holes. 😯

Scoring generally is very low, but still.

ETA Right, this might NOT be the first round or something, although it SAYS it's the first round! I'm confused.

ETA2 - it's the FedEx cup!

Edited by printer

On 29/08/2024 at 15:24, VictorOnopko said:

Cracking trip up north last weekend.  Spey Valley, Cullen, Moray New, Moray Old.

qq1.jpg

qq2.jpg

QQ3.jpg

QQ4.jpg

QQ5.jpg

QQ6.jpg

QQ7.jpg

QQ8.jpg

QQ9.jpg

Did you not wait for the group behind you at Cullen to stick one of there balls in the hole at the short par 3 over the hill to see there reaction ? Quite as common thing to see folk celebrating a "hole in one" there 🤣

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Did you not wait for the group behind you at Cullen to stick one of there balls in the hole at the short par 3 over the hill to see there reaction ? Quite as common thing to see folk celebrating a "hole in one" there 🤣

That'd be pretty cruel! One of us did putt off that green and have to go and fetch a wedge to chip back onto it though...