Golfers Thread

Gaz

The next decade could be the most open and exciting era in the history of golf. So many young players with buckets of talent and all winning majors, outside of Rahm, Dechambeu. As good as it was to watch Tiger in his prime it would have been great to see him against this era. He is the Goat al9ng with Nicklaus, butoutside of Mickelson,Els and Singh and Duval for a few years, his competition was lacking compared to this era

My wife is a Masters Patron and as such is entitled to two badges every year for the tournament which she paid for and received  earlier in the year, however yesterday she got an e-mail from the tournament committee confirming that the tournament will go ahead in  Nov behind closed doors, thankfully they have said that next years badges will be free to all patrons.

Played Newbattle today with my auld man. Nice enough course. The auld c**t beat me 1 up after hitting it to about 5 foot on the 18th. I was round in about 84, a right mixed bag today, but a decent back 9. 

20200813_160218.thumb.jpg.129c2a0c8fbc861b9719052073f5b2e3.jpg20200813_165938.thumb.jpg.1f043b634fd3a8c4d68959673cd54304.jpg

My game is falling apart.
I’ve been down to a 5 handicap but my numbers have been on the up and up for months and months now.
I can drive just over 200m, fairly reliable and generally straight.
My main troubles are getting from my drives onto the greens. I just can’t get the blighters on the dance floor AND I’ve lost the ability to scramble.
If I happen to get on in regulation then I three putt.
I’m despairing. 🤪

Just on way home from some golfing. Played Moray New on Wednesday, Moray Old yesterday and Nairn Dunbar today. Really enjoyed all three courses especially Moray Old. It helps to play well. Round Moray Old in 75 shots and had 3 birdies on Nairn Dunbar today. Two of the birdies today were 2s on par 3s which is always a particular pleasure.

Great to see Russell Knox hit a fabulous 6 under par 64 to make the cut at the Wyndham PGA event today, Crucial  end of season event for him and good luck to him over the weekend.  Played at his boyhood course Nairn Dunbar today and noted he was a 3 time club champion there. Always comes across as one of the good guys and great to see him playing some good golf again. 

What’s everyone’s favourite hole they’ve played? I’ve not played nearly as many courses as I’d like but I’d probably nominate the 13th at Royal Tarlair in Macduff.

The memory of playing in a howling gale while my mate took 7 attempts to get anywhere near the green still leaves me chuckling.

61A4874E-8457-475B-B16C-EED46B97F752.jpeg

17 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Just on way home from some golfing. Played Moray New on Wednesday, Moray Old yesterday and Nairn Dunbar today. Really enjoyed all three courses especially Moray Old. It helps to play well. Round Moray Old in 75 shots and had 3 birdies on Nairn Dunbar today. Two of the birdies today were 2s on par 3s which is always a particular pleasure.

We're going a family holiday to Nairn at the end of the month and was looking to sneak some golf in. Was thinking possibly Castle Stuart but hadn't made up my mind yet. Were those courses easy to book for visitors given corona and what were they like pricewise? 

My golf guy has been saying the 16th at Carnoustie is brutal... 245 yard par 3!!! Never needed to lay up to a par 3 before [emoji23][emoji23]

That’s off the white tees and flag at the back. Played just under 200 when I played it last week.

Enjoy the day mate, take it all in.

We're going a family holiday to Nairn at the end of the month and was looking to sneak some golf in. Was thinking possibly Castle Stuart but hadn't made up my mind yet. Were those courses easy to book for visitors given corona and what were they like pricewise? 

We got a great deal price wise. There is a combined Nairn Dunbar-Moray Old ticket for £100 (reduced from £150). We also got a deal of a 4 ball on Moray New for £20 per person. So £120 per person for 3 really good courses. Booking was easy at both Nairn Dunbar and Moray GC. Both clubs really well set up re Coronavirus and staff at both very friendly both in the clubhouse and pro shops. The clubhouse at Nairn Dunbar had limited opening hours of 12-5pm.

Edit to add played Castle Stuart 2 years ago. It’s a fine course but not cheap.

Further edit to add the Nairn Dunbar website says £110 for the combined ticket with Moray Old- we got it for £100. There are other combined tickets also available. You generally have to play the courses within a 4 day period.

https://www.nairndunbar.com/visitors/special-offers-2016

Best score since taking golf up again yesterday! 83 2 birdies( one nearly a hole in one)

+ 2 for holes 9-17

hit 8 greens with full shots and only just missed 3 others, iron striking was great all day. 

Would  have been better if not caught in a tropical storm coming up the last, torrential rain flooding the green, took 4 to get into hole full of water from 50 yards.

4 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

What’s everyone’s favourite hole they’ve played? 

A few of mine are the 13th at N.Berwick Glen.

2303246966_d74d20c670_b.thumb.jpg.6a9337939676784161d3526e8238d079.jpg

Love the Cape hole 5th at Crail. How much of the beach do you take on ?

IMG_3566.thumb.jpg.b1657a28ed1f8e656f6dab87c2fdb469.jpg

The 8th at Kilspindie.

339820946_KilspindieGolfClub8thLinksland.com(3)_1356494100.thumb.jpg.85ed927f1354edbc2fc789c2b61b5c82.jpg

I like holes at the beach tbf.

I'd love to play some courses both up north and across in Ireland.

A few of mine are the 13th at N.Berwick Glen.
2303246966_d74d20c670_b.thumb.jpg.6a9337939676784161d3526e8238d079.jpg
Love the Cape hole 5th at Crail. How much of the beach do you take on ?
IMG_3566.thumb.jpg.b1657a28ed1f8e656f6dab87c2fdb469.jpg
The 8th at Kilspindie.
339820946_KilspindieGolfClub8thLinksland.com(3)_1356494100.thumb.jpg.85ed927f1354edbc2fc789c2b61b5c82.jpg
I like holes at the beach tbf.
I'd love to play some courses both up north and across in Ireland.

Played with some pals at Crail last year. One of the guys was 7 off the tee at the 5th. Kept aiming further and further left only to cut it miles right again. We hardly ever remind him of the event [emoji23]