Golfers Thread

Gaz

I watched most of this on the Golf Channel USA and I thought the coverage was excellent tbh. They cut to ad breaks but kept the golf on a split screen. Obviously need to deal with some more brain dead American commentary but on the whole it was fine. 
First Scottish player I can remember going down the US college route was Richie Ramsay, though there might have been others even before him. Certainly of the latest batch of Scots on tour, MacIntyre, Hill and Forrest all played at NCAA level.

Young lass from Bishopbriggs has just started a scholarship at the University of Tennessee in Chattanooga.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I like the idea of the award but it seems mental to make it compulsory to give it, you end up with instances like this where they just need to choose someone sound because nobody really did anything that sporting. As an analogy, the UFC don't hand out a mandatory performance bonus every time they hold a fight card, they give it to people when the performance merits it. I feel this award should be similar.

Don't massively disagree but after making a song and dance about launching it this year it would have been a massive let down not to actually give it out. Clearly the sponsor wasn't involved to not give it out.

As I alluded to earlier there were minor sporting gestures that could have been acknowledged and I by no means saw the whole thing. If you don't start by acknowledging what there was then you're not going to encourage more grandiose gestures. I think it might be an option to ask the opposing captain to pick it for each side rather than a committee.

11 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

First Scottish player I can remember going down the US college route was Richie Ramsay, though there might have been others even before him. Certainly of the latest batch of Scots on tour, MacIntyre, Hill and Forrest all played at NCAA level.

Martin Laird?

5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Young lass from Bishopbriggs has just started a scholarship at the University of Tennessee in Chattanooga.

Gordon Sherry is involved in a programme just now to help young Scottish golfers obtain a scholarship to go to colleges in the states.I think Bob went through that route 

Gordon Sherry is involved in a programme just now to help young Scottish golfers obtain a scholarship to go to colleges in the states.I think Bob went through that route 
She went through a company called ProDream USA, whose alumni include Liam Johnston who went to the same university, and Grant Forrest who went to the University of San Diego. They run qualifying tourneys in the UK to try and find the best young golfers.

2 hours ago, dave_binos said:

Tony Finau woke up on Monday, looked at the weather forecast, thought ‘f**k that’ and straight onto Twitter to pull out 😂

Aye seen that I must admit I was laughing at the amount of people saying he has a hangover etc they obviously don't know his background well 

Lovely weather for the first day of the Dunhill it's chucking it doon 
Ended up decent conditions after a poor start. Shane Lowry said it was possibly the worst he had ever played in, but it cleared up late morning and some benign conditions for the later starters have seen a lot of low scores.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
9 hours ago, doulikefish said:
Lovely weather for the first day of the Dunhill it's chucking it doon 

Ended up decent conditions after a poor start. Shane Lowry said it was possibly the worst he had ever played in, but it cleared up late morning and some benign conditions for the later starters have seen a lot of low scores.

Yip...can you guess when I was at St Andrews today 🤣

Absolutely drookit 

It was absolutely Baltic at Carnoustie this morning with 20mph + winds. The 2nd was 491 yards into wind. I’d be driver - 3 wood and probably still wouldn’t be on the putting surface. It amazes me how much control the pro’s still have in those conditions. 

Celeb wise I seen Jamie Redknapp, Ruud Gullit, Wladimer Klitchsko, Andy Garcia, Huey Lewis and Sir Steve Redgrave. Also has a chat with Michael Vaughan who seemed decent. 

Genuinely thought Huey Lewis was deid! Sounds a good day. 

Aye it was decent. Just a pity the weather was so bad. There still shooting decent scores out there though. These guys are all a lot bigger than I thought as well in both height and build. As expected Klitschko is enormous.

Few pics. Also seen Steven Hendry who plays off of 4 apparently and Darren Gough who went round in 80 yesterday which he says is his best ever score. Michael Vaughan was 2 out the bunker on 9 but can hit the ball a mile. 

E7DD9F0B-F837-4727-A90E-DAB4D311FCBE.jpeg

EF742B17-05C1-40E0-88E7-E82C6C8652BF.jpeg

0F0C46C2-ACA4-405E-BD45-4997FDACFC3D.jpeg