Golfers Thread

Gaz

As we enter the final month of the season in Scotland/UK I’m just wondering what everyone’s handicap was at the start of the season and what it is now?

I started at 14.1 and am now down to 11. Hopefully get 3-4 rounds in, all are “free hits” so could even improve that by November 1st. Next season my aim is to get to single figures.

Started the season at 9.6. Currently sitting at 6.5. Lowest I’ve been at was 6.3 but went back up after losing a counting score from my top 20 yesterday. Very happy with a good season. I’ve worked really hard on my short game this season which has made all the difference as my long game has always been pretty solid.
That’s good progress you’ve made. Every chance you can get to single figures next season. [emoji106]

I got mine last year and started at 15 after three rounds in Golspie, app was fucked until basically mid-August though due to joiningKemnay too but them not recognizing it (Scottish golf were not helpful), so couldn't really log any cards until then as Kemnay wouldn't take general ones and I never got to play medals as had other things on (playing football mainly) at the weekend and it was too early on the Tuesday night. Put four cards in when I was up the road in September though and got down to 10.8. One more in Kemnay last month brought me back up to 11.6 where I currently sit. Doubt I'll get many more scoring rounds this year between dark nights, weather and football, but not a bad starting place for next year where I'll hopefully get to play a bit more.

Target for next year is to try and get down to single figures at some point.

As we enter the final month of the season in Scotland/UK I’m just wondering what everyone’s handicap was at the start of the season and what it is now?

I started at 14.1 and am now down to 11. Hopefully get 3-4 rounds in, all are “free hits” so could even improve that by November 1st. Next season my aim is to get to single figures.
Started the season at 22.0 with the target to get into the 2nd division. Started off hitting the ball fairly well but just not scoring, then had a 3 week break in May after surgery on a trapped nerve in my forearm.

On 29th May I was still 22, but since then it's been a steady improvement, with the best score a gross 84 (13 over) in July. Now down to 16.1.

7 of my last 9 scores count towards my handicap, the 8th score is number 20 on my list which will drop off on Sunday when I play the final book medal of the year. If I can better the adjusted gross 89 that's dropping off I could be under 16 for the end of the year, which would be way better than I hoped.

New driver has made a difference, but I've putted really well this year, had a few low handicappers compliment me on the greens. Had a good run of keeping anything worse than a 6 off the card and had very few 3 putts.

Plan is to play in one of our winter leagues, and practice on the short game. Still feel there are too many occasions that I'm not getting down in 2 from just a few yards off the green.

9 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

I got mine last year and started at 15 after three rounds in Golspie, app was fucked until basically mid-August though due to joiningKemnay too but them not recognizing it (Scottish golf were not helpful), so couldn't really log any cards until then as Kemnay wouldn't take general ones and I never got to play medals as had other things on (playing football mainly) at the weekend and it was too early on the Tuesday night. Put four cards in when I was up the road in September though and got down to 10.8. One more in Kemnay last month brought me back up to 11.6 where I currently sit. Doubt I'll get many more scoring rounds this year between dark nights, weather and football, but not a bad starting place for next year where I'll hopefully get to play a bit more.

Target for next year is to try and get down to single figures at some point.

Not sure why you couldn't register General Play rounds at Kemnay......I have done several this year on top of lots of medals (I am on the committee there )  To be fair we only allowed General Play rounds off the whites from August.

Started the year at 9.3 and currently sit at 9.2 (went up to 12.5 quickly then down to 7.4 and hovered around 8 or 9 since)  Incidentally, I started last season at 10.5 and finished it at 10.5 - having played circa 60 counting rounds.

I really do think the World Handicap System has proved to be better than the old system....far more reflective of current form (especially if you play a lot of golf) and its quite exciting looking at your top eight scores change on a regular basis........a few weeks ago I was dreading losing a score differential of 4.2 (easily my best) and then unbelievably replaced it by scoring my best medal score at Kemnay (gross 76) for a 4.1. 

I have really enjoyed this season and quite sad that it is as good as over........we are extending medals until the end of October though so perhaps three more Sundays for me

I started on 6.8 and finished on 7.8. I only played 3 rounds early season then life (and indeed death) got in the way. I've played two bounce games since July, both were pish. I was swinging more horrifically than at any point in my entire life round Edzell in August, spent the last few holes genuinely considering punting my clubs onto Gumtree such was my disillusionment, before melting a driver and an 8 iron to 10 feet on the par 5 last. A fucking ridiculous game.

My game is however horrific so I think some coaching is definitely in order over the close season.

Is there a general rule as to what courses/areas don’t move to winter greens over the coming months? I know the municipal courses down in Troon stay on full greens all year, and most parkland courses will go on to winter greens, but is it as simple as that? Do all links courses keep full greens? I know they will  be hollitined, sanded etc., but I don’t find any enjoyment in playing parkland courses with winter greens on the fairways and holes the size of a bucket. It doesn’t feel like a proper game of golf if your not putting on a green. 

Is there a general rule as to what courses/areas don’t move to winter greens over the coming months? I know the municipal courses down in Troon stay on full greens all year, and most parkland courses will go on to winter greens, but is it as simple as that? Do all links courses keep full greens? I know they will  be hollitined, sanded etc., but I don’t find any enjoyment in playing parkland courses with winter greens on the fairways and holes the size of a bucket. It doesn’t feel like a proper game of golf if your not putting on a green. 
Links courses do tend to stay on full greens most of the year, barring truly mental weather. Inland courses are likely to have greater issues with drainage and frost damage staying on full greens in shit weather spells.

I think one of the Angus courses, maybe Forfar tried to stay on full greens all winter a good few years back and ended up fucking them up for the first 2-3 months of the season.

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Links courses do tend to stay on full greens most of the year, barring truly mental weather. Inland courses are likely to have greater issues with drainage and frost damage staying on full greens in shit weather spells.

I think one of the Angus courses, maybe Forfar tried to stay on full greens all winter a good few years back and ended up fucking them up for the first 2-3 months of the season.

Aye I did assume it was all to do with drainage and that links courses by their nature were better able to deal with large amounts of rain fall. My home course have started quite major works on the greens already, and although I’m not a greenkeeper, it seems a tad early to me, especially after months of emails from the Club telling me how happy they were with the condition of them. I’m really wanting to keep playing as regularly as I can through the winter so I think I will be heading out towards the coast. 

I know Leven Links do a good winter deal, couple of guys in my work joined it last year, although it’s possibly just too far away to justify it. Irvine Bogside does the same and it’s only a 30 minute drive so I will be seriously thinking about that. 

Tulliallan adopted a policy of keeping full greens all year round a few years ago, and changed their annual maintenance/coring programme to make this possible. The upshot of this is that the greens tend to be better in November and December than they are for a couple weeks in August, but visitor fees are far higher than they were a few years ago.

Any drainage works on the greens don't take place until March as the greenkeeper doesn't see the point of digging trenches/drains when the grass isn't growing over the winter months to repair the damage - the greens have never come on until mid-May anyway, so this makes perfect sense.

It has worked really well, and those of us who play year-round golf are delighted at results.

I think Strathmore near Alyth is another club that tries to keep the course on full greens, but they're geared up mainly for visitor greens fees anyway.

Balbirnie is full greens but mats are in use.However they do cut a hole beside every green for a winter green just in case it's needed.

Handicap start of season 6.8 handicap end of season 6.3

Been as high as 7.3 and as low as 5.8.The new handicap system is pretty fair I reckon as it's reflected my game throughout the season 

Watching yesterday's highlights, Christ only knows how Adri Arnaus managed to hit a 67, he's been all over the place. One hole he took an iron off the tee and missed the fairway by 40 yards, git lucky in the trees and managed to find the edge of the green, then rolls in a 30 odd footer for birdie.

Three eagles for Grant Forrest today including this hole in one. 

Follows up yesterday's 65 with a 67 today to move to -10. 3 off the current leader Wil Bessiling who has shot 64-65. Overnight leader Ross McGowan has only played a couple of holes but already has a birdie as he looks to build on his opening 61.

Should be half a dozen or so Scots in for the weekend.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Follows up yesterday's 65 with a 67 today to move to -10. 3 off the current leader Wil Bessiling who has shot 64-65. Overnight leader Ross McGowan has only played a couple of holes but already has a birdie as he looks to build on his opening 61.

Should be half a dozen or so Scots in for the weekend.

Looks like all the Scottish players made the weekend. For the likes of Drysdale and Jamieson a decent finish will go a long way to securing their cards. 

Looks like all the Scottish players made the weekend. For the likes of Drysdale and Jamieson a decent finish will go a long way to securing their cards. 
Yep, good day all round. Forrest well placed and it was good that the likes of McGowan and Rahm didn't shoot very low scores or they could have had a good lead. Rahm hit quite a few tired looking shots today, think his recent efforts might be starting to catch up with him.