Golfers Thread

Gaz

48 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's not jealousy, it's just that it's utter nonsense.

If you want to market Scotland then market Scotland but it's completely incorrect to market one small part of the country as a "Golf coast" when Fife, Ayrshire, Tayside and Aberdeenshire have some of the best courses in the country !!

Not really.

They're not marketing Scotland, they're marketing East Lothian, with its 20 odd courses within a stretch of 20 miles of coastline. It's undoubtedly Scotland's Golf Coast. Just as St Andrew's and the surrounding area markets itself as the Home of Golf,  despite the fact that the game was recorded as being played earlier in Leith and Musselburgh.

Maybe other council marketing teams should up their game and promote their fantastic courses better.

35 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Personally I would love them to use proper links courses like the above and Prestwick, NB etc. Unfortunately the pros would absolutely tear a lot of them to shreds which they don’t want (personally this doesn’t bother me really, would happily see a winning score of 20 under) and they are not designed ideally for fans which is the main reason they won’t get it. The ones you’ve suggested are better equipped than Prestwick/NB but still not as good as RC.

Aye, that's the big stumbling block. We've got countless outstanding courses, but once you factor in the facilities required and the fact that modern equipment has made many almost obsolete for the modern game, we're left with a pretty short list.

12 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

After a few unexpected days off work I’ve decided to fester on the couch and invest most of my time into watching the Scottish Open. I have no idea why but I just haven’t enjoyed it at all. Perhaps it’s all a bit low key because it’s basically a few prep rounds for The Open? maybe it’s the course? maybe the pre weekend crowd were a bit drab (it looks really quiet)?. God knows, but it’s felt like a bit of a slog!

I'm exactly the same, I find it unbelievably dull to watch and just cannot get into it. Can't really pinpoint why, but I think something to do with it not looking like a 'real' links course, although even then I'm not really sure what I mean by that!

Would love to see it rotate round the fantastic links courses we have.

Is there a reason why it couldn't be held at some of the Open venues such as Troon, Carnoustie etc? Not that I'm saying it should, I'd prefer ones that don't get that exposure every 8-9 or so years anyway, but just interested as they have the infrastructure which some are lacking.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

It can't be held at the open circuit courses

That would devalue the open and would never happen 

Money is the reason will stay at renaissance 

Can't say that unhappy to some extent about more money coming into the game and country here 

Even if always just prep for open whole swathe of top players on show any other European tour events would kill to attract 

We've got 5 top courses with everything on this summer 

I think it's brilliant 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm exactly the same, I find it unbelievably dull to watch and just cannot get into it. Can't really pinpoint why, but I think something to do with it not looking like a 'real' links course, although even then I'm not really sure what I mean by that!

Would love to see it rotate round the fantastic links courses we have.

Is there a reason why it couldn't be held at some of the Open venues such as Troon, Carnoustie etc? Not that I'm saying it should, I'd prefer ones that don't get that exposure every 8-9 or so years anyway, but just interested as they have the infrastructure which some are lacking.

Have to say I've really enjoyed it. It's looks a very good test of golf and it's been really good to see some very big names struggle.

All about opinions I guess.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Bang on.

Jerry Savardi and "endorsed" by none other than Andrew Coltart.

East Lothian council apparently started it out as a marketing exercise but then the big money movers and shakers got involved to press it home.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/coltart-backs-east-lothian-claim-best-golf-coast-scotland-1630108

What annoys me is how the rest of the country is letting them away with it.

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

If you want to market Scotland then market Scotland but it's completely incorrect to market one small part of the country as a "Golf coast" when Fife, Ayrshire, Tayside and Aberdeenshire have some of the best courses in the country !!

Bit of a weird hill to die on tbh. East Lothian Council promoting East Lothian's courses is hardly a revelation.

Angus used to (possibly still do) promote the local courses as "Carnoustie Country" and i'm fairly sure other LAs all do similar. 

Wall to wall 

Scottish Open  Renaissance club, 7-10 July

The Open, Old Course St Andrews, 14-17 July 

Senior Open, Kings, Gleneagles,  21-24 July

Ladies Scottish Open, Dundonald,  28-31 July  

Hero Open,  Fairmont, St Andrews,   28-31 July 

Ladies Open, Muirfield, 4-7 August

Edited by Binos

7 hours ago, Binos said:

It can't be held at the open circuit courses

That would devalue the open and would never happen 

Money is the reason will stay at renaissance 

Can't say that unhappy to some extent about more money coming into the game and country here 

Even if always just prep for open whole swathe of top players on show any other European tour events would kill to attract 

We've got 5 top courses with everything on this summer 

I think it's brilliant 

I've read the likes of Fitzpatrick saying they've done an excellent job in improving the course over the last few years and that it's ideal prep for the open. And last year Morikawa basically said he'd not have won the open if he hadn't played Renaissance the week before. 

They seem to have found a formula the players like and I can't see it changing. Plus the PGA tour love playing their events at the same venue each year and this is obviously now a PGA tour event also. 

10 hours ago, WATTOO said:

A completely bizarre thing to get upset about. 

The R&A fucking off Greg Norman....

Greg says they are being petty..... lol
As much as I think he is a p***k, I think the R&A have got this one wrong. Whether they like it or not he is a champion and should be at the dinner. I see Mickelson wrote to tell them he wasn't coming to the dinner.

Yesterday was the first I had swung a club for 3 weeks after catching Covid, I'm fecking sore today. 89 for a nett 74, quite happy with that, but not with the 9 I ran up on the 11th after snap hooking two drives onto knee high rough.

Adjusted gross was 86, giving a score differential of 14, meaning I got cut from 14.2 to 13.8. Probably my last Saturday competition as the football resumes.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

15 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

As much as I think he is a p***k, I think the R&A have got this one wrong. Whether they like it or not he is a champion and should be at the dinner. I see Mickelson wrote to tell them he wasn't coming to the dinner.

Norman is a complete and utter arsehole, and I have absolutely no doubt that had he attended he'd have somehow used it to publicise LIV. At the very least the media would have turned the whole thing into a LIV shitfest. Mickelson is obviously a complete and utter arsehole as well, but at least he had the self-awareness to not go. I'm more than happy for Normal to be ostracised from the game as far as possible. An utter cock of a man. 

Sky Sports appologising profusely for Jon Rahm, on finding a bunker at the 7th hole at the Renaissance Course, overheard saying "What a stupid fucking place to put a bunker"

I've said exactly the same thing on so many golf courses over so many years. There was no need for Sky to apologise for Rahm's choice of words!

Edited by ICTJohnboy

14 hours ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Not really.

They're not marketing Scotland, they're marketing East Lothian, with its 20 odd courses within a stretch of 20 miles of coastline. It's undoubtedly Scotland's Golf Coast. Just as St Andrew's and the surrounding area markets itself as the Home of Golf,  despite the fact that the game was recorded as being played earlier in Leith and Musselburgh.

Maybe other council marketing teams should up their game and promote their fantastic courses better.

I can only assume that you've never visited the Prestwick, Troon, Irvine stretch of coastline on the West.

You're probably right though, it's the Ayrshire / Fife councils etc who should be up in arms about this as there's an insinuation that this is widely regarded / accepted as "the place to be" and  that there's no Golf or decent Golf played elsewhere. That is obviously unacceptable from a marketing perspective if either of them actually cared and in fact I'm surprised that some of the clubs in those areas haven't put in a legal challenge.

24 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The world's most Tory sport acting offended over this Saudi thing is incredibly entertaining.

What's up? Not getting enough attention on the COVID-19 or political threads anymore? 

😂

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I can only assume that you've never visited the Prestwick, Troon, Irvine stretch of coastline on the West.

You're probably right though, it's the Ayrshire / Fife councils etc who should be up in arms about this as there's an insinuation that this is widely regarded / accepted as "the place to be" and  that there's no Golf or decent Golf played elsewhere. That is obviously unacceptable from a marketing perspective if either of them actually cared and in fact I'm surprised that some of the clubs in those areas haven't put in a legal challenge.

Why on earth would councils be "up in arms" about another Council promoting it's golf courses? What an absolutely incredible hill to die on 😂

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

What's up? Not getting enough attention on the COVID-19 or political threads anymore? 

😂

Why on earth would councils be "up in arms" about another Council promoting it's golf courses? What an absolutely incredible hill to die on 😂

No, i'm a casual golf follower and now the circus has turned up here it's interesting.

It's a mental sport with fairly mediocre players coining it in and flying everywhere on private jets.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

No, i'm a casual golf follower and now the circus has turned up here it's interesting.

It's a mental sport with fairly mediocre players coining it in and flying everywhere on private jets.

There are no doubt comparatively average players (on the PGA Tour particularly) who have done very well financially, but yeah, 0.001% of worldwide golfers being loaded enough to cut about on private jets certainly makes it the most Tory sport in the world.