Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Of quite a lot of relevance when we're discussing.... the old course I would say.

We weren't though - someone made a post about 2 shots being played into the 11th during a practice round for THE OPEN then you made your comment. Before that, the conversation was about Tiger v Jack, and the weather conditions possibly due to affect THE OPEN, no-one was discussing the quality or otherwise of the venue until you did, and the only responses to you have been about the regularity with which you air this opinion.

Speaking as someone who has played the Old Course a few times, I agree it's not the best course in Fife, but frankly I'd rather take the opinion of someone who shops in a supermarket about the quality of that supermarket rather than the person who carries the shopping bags and collects the trolleys at the end of the night, so if the pros playing in the Open are getting pumped about the place, why shouldn't us mere mortals?

Was looking at backing Fitzpatrick (20's) to win, Hovland (55/1), Macintyre (100/1) and Ancer (125/1) e/w

Funny how bad Fitzpatrick has been at The Open, wouldn't be surprised if he's up there.

Seems like the wind is due to drop off by Thursday, I was hoping it'd be blowing a hoolie so there'd be some carnage

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

So who’s everyone’s picks for the week? And what are your bets? 

Il have a proper look tonight but I like Spieth this week. Ryan Fox at a bigger price is tempting and I fancy Tiger to make the cut. 

Wouldn't disagree with that.

I've also gone with Tommy Fleetwood at 33/1 on Skybet. Had a good finish at the Scottish

Sky Sports really building up this event nicely.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Il have a proper look tonight but I like Spieth this week. Ryan Fox at a bigger price is tempting and I fancy Tiger to make the cut. 

I have to say that Ryan Fox seems like a fucking great guy. I’ve watched a lot of the Euro/DP Tour this year and he just seems like a top bloke. Helps I guess that he’s having a really good season but i’ll be sticking 5 of my hard-earned pounds on him e/w.

I normally stick to the longer odds players so i’m also going to go with Dundee’s finest, big Victor and Adrian Meronk. Both are 125/1.

Edited by ArabGaz

10 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

I have to say that Ryan Fox seems like a fucking great guy. I’ve watched a lot of the Euro/DP Tour this year and he just seems like a top bloke. Helps I guess that he’s having a really good season but i’ll be sticking 5 of my hard-earned pounds on him e/w.

I normally stick to the longer odds players so i’m also going to go with Dundee’s finest, big Victor and Adrian Meronk. Both are 125/1.

Fox’s old boy was a decent sportsman in his day as well - Grant is the former stand off and current selector for the All Blacks

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Fox’s old boy was a decent sportsman in his day as well - Grant is the former stand off and current selector for the All Blacks

Some call him one of the greatest All Blacks of all time 

17 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

There is a podcast with him just after he won the Ras Al Khamah. I think it’s a European tour podcast. It’s a great listen. 

Sliding doors moment. What if Rory doesn't have that kickabout in 2015 when he tore ligaments and was out for a few weeks and missing the Open at St. Andrew?. He was coming in as reigning champ and had been playing well, having won the WGC Matchplay and the Wells Fargo earlier in the year.

He's had 15 top ten finishes in majors since, but rarely have you ever felt he was genuinely in contention. E.g. he was 2nd at Augusta this year, but had started the final round 10 shots back, shooting a 64.

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Sliding doors moment. What if Rory doesn't have that kickabout in 2015 when he tore ligaments and was out for a few weeks and missing the Open at St. Andrew?. He was coming in as reigning champ and had been playing well, having won the WGC Matchplay and the Wells Fargo earlier in the year.

He's had 15 top ten finishes in majors since, but rarely have you ever felt he was genuinely in contention. E.g. he was 2nd at Augusta this year, but had started the final round 10 shots back, shooting a 64.

If he can just get off to a good start...

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I backed Tommy Fleetwood e/w last week at 50/1, using some of these winnings e/w on DJ @ 33/1 (8 places)  might take Ancer e/w at shorter odds with 12 places. One or 2 others to ponder before final selections.

Not hearing much from [mention=25717]Davis Love III[/mention]
Used to really enjoy his comprehensive previews for majors over the years.
I'd replied to a tweet earlier in the year and said we were missing his posts on here, he did hint that he might return for The Open.

Only bet I have so far is Kevin Kisner @ 250/1 8 places e/w with 365. An absolutely ridiculous price for the world no.25, with a 2nd place to Molinari at Carnoustie in the last Open that was as firm and fast as this is expected to be. He putts well and his lack of length won't hinder him round here.

I'll put the rest on tonight. At the top of the market, Rory is far too short for such a wide open contest, Xander would be my pick from the top 8 big dogs, but any value has long gone there after Sunday.

Anyone managed to establish the exact location of any of the park and ride car parks?
Nothing on the website, or the parking pass, and twitter suggests the R&A are trying to keep it a secret until you actually arrive in Fife!
I was through the day. One of the park and rides is at the field next to Leuchars train station. The car park has been closed so the park abbd ride exits into the car park where the buses are waiting.

I think there are two others one just of the a91 outside Guardbridge about a mile past Clayton Caravan Park. And think the other is on the A915 around the cairnsmill caravan park area.

5 hours ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

I'm not upset Pep, I just find it hilarious as it's about the third time we've done this. Last year you claimed your dogshit opinions on The Old Course (and Augusta National) were more valid because you have a low handicap, this year it's because you've been round there a hundred times.

You were wrong last time and you're wrong again.

No I didn't. And you offer no retort. No defence of the course just 'youre wrong and a w****r'.

I do know the old course pretty well. Much better than you. That gives my opinion on it a bit of validity that yours doesn't have. That's just a fact mate.

4 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

We weren't though - someone made a post about 2 shots being played into the 11th during a practice round for THE OPEN then you made your comment. Before that, the conversation was about Tiger v Jack, and the weather conditions possibly due to affect THE OPEN, no-one was discussing the quality or otherwise of the venue until you did, and the only responses to you have been about the regularity with which you air this opinion.

Speaking as someone who has played the Old Course a few times, I agree it's not the best course in Fife, but frankly I'd rather take the opinion of someone who shops in a supermarket about the quality of that supermarket rather than the person who carries the shopping bags and collects the trolleys at the end of the night, so if the pros playing in the Open are getting pumped about the place, why shouldn't us mere mortals?

What course are they playing it on?

I don't care what you'd rather take did you not read me say that. I don't care if you agree. The old course is a shit golf course. I'm 100% comfortable making that assertion cause I've had a bloody good sustained look at it over ta long period of time.

If you don't agree that's fine. I'm not making personal attacks it's you doing that.

And a Caddie's job is actually to instruct a player how to play a course. Anybody can carry a bag.