Golfers Thread

Gaz

Only bet I have so far is Kevin Kisner @ 250/1 8 places e/w with 365. An absolutely ridiculous price for the world no.25, with a 2nd place to Molinari at Carnoustie in the last Open that was as firm and fast as this is expected to be. He putts well and his lack of length won't hinder him round here.
I'll put the rest on tonight. At the top of the market, Rory is far too short for such a wide open contest, Xander would be my pick from the top 8 big dogs, but any value has long gone there after Sunday.

The advantage the really big hitters will have is that lots of the par 4s could be driveable. Zalatoris was 10 yards off the front of the 16th yesterday.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

The advantage the really big hitters will have is that lots of the par 4s could be driveable. Zalatoris was 10 yards off the front of the 16th yesterday.

Because it's a shit and easy course.

The real problem with an open at St Andrews is it's so easy they have to put the pins in really stupid positions at the base of slopes etc. So it can get a bit goofy if the wind blows. If it doesn't it will get torn apart. Might see a 59.

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Looks very like I might have a spare ticket (adult £95) for Thursday. 
Will know for sure by this evening. 
If that is the case will be looking to sell at face value. 

Any interest in this adult ticket for Thursday?

As said looking to sell at face value. PM me if interested.

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Because it's a shit and easy course.

The real problem with an open at St Andrews is it's so easy they have to put the pins in really stupid positions at the base of slopes etc. So it can get a bit goofy if the wind blows. If it doesn't it will get torn apart. Might see a 59.

^^

Obviously been in the road hole bunker and couldn't get out.

Presumably would like to see St Andrews taken off the Open venues rota. That would be good for the local economy.

7 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

And a Caddie's job is actually to instruct a player how to play a course. Anybody can carry a bag.

Surprised you don't love the Old Course in that case.

'No instruction required Condoleezza, its really easy'.

Sounds like an easy day at the office to me.

Forgot to mention earlier, I've got Joohyung Kim on Sky Bet at 150/1. Fantastic bet at that price.

A brilliant young Japanese golfer who seems to get better with each tournament. Came very close to snatching the Scottish Open on Sunday.

4 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Wouldn't disagree with that.

I've also gone with Tommy Fleetwood at 33/1 on Skybet. Had a good finish at the Scottish

Sky Sports really building up this event nicely.

Yeah their build up coverage is top class I think. Much better than the stuff from the golf channel that sky show for the American majors. 

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Sliding doors moment. What if Rory doesn't have that kickabout in 2015 when he tore ligaments and was out for a few weeks and missing the Open at St. Andrew?. He was coming in as reigning champ and had been playing well, having won the WGC Matchplay and the Wells Fargo earlier in the year.

He's had 15 top ten finishes in majors since, but rarely have you ever felt he was genuinely in contention. E.g. he was 2nd at Augusta this year, but had started the final round 10 shots back, shooting a 64.

From what I recall Rory pretty much just shrugged it off at the time with a 'there'll be plenty of other majors' attitude. I don't think anyone would've believed he would still be stuck on 4 in 2022.

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

No I didn't.

Yes you did.

1137178106_Screenshot_20220712-203430_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.6223728159cad35e7c25988929380c4d.jpg

No I didn't. And you offer no retort. No defence of the course just 'youre wrong and a w****r'.

Because we've already done this at least once Pep.

940951676_Screenshot_20220712-202316_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.93c0014d157368e1c789ec9f1cb0abcf.jpg

I do know the old course pretty well. Much better than you. That gives my opinion on it a bit of validity that yours doesn't have. That's just a fact mate.

Well no. The opinion of Hall of Fame course designers and architects, players and officials who agree with me carries much more validity.

That's just a fact mate.

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Sorry for going a bit off topic lads but didn’t the Open need to be one of the sporting events that had to be on free tv? Like the World Cup, Euros & Wimbledon ? 

Apparently, it wasn't designated a 'crown jewel' event, but a category B event, which means only highlights have to be on terrestrial TV. 

The R&A punted it to Sky in 2017 after the BBC's contract was up.

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Sorry for going a bit off topic lads but didn’t the Open need to be one of the sporting events that had to be on free tv? Like the World Cup, Euros & Wimbledon ? 

Read all about it...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events#:~:text=As of July 2019%2C the,(including Film4 and More4).

3 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I do know the old course pretty well. Much better than you. That gives my opinion on it a bit of validity that yours doesn't have. That's just a fact mate.

3 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I've had a bloody good sustained look at it over ta long period of time

6F3E7560-14E4-4814-8EEC-7FDDBA3FAB20.gif.314e359874e1c661f0b4742f6885e7c2.gif

The "Crown Jewels". The Open falls into the lower grading that allows for PPV providing the normal telly has good coverage.
Unfortunately what is deemed as good coverage is highlights of pretty much every long putt going in the hole, bunker shot stopping within inches of the hole or drives getting belted into the sea or rough so no anticipation or enjoyment whatsoever.
And that's just Wimledon.

37 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

@Ervin H Burrell How much was it i had in free bets? Just remembered I was going to use them for the Open 😂

You won 14 quid from Willy Z's each way finish at the Masters.

You can split it however you want, I'll stick it on tomorrow.

Just now, Ervin H Burrell said:

You won 14 quid from Willy Z's each way finish at the Masters.

You can split it however you want, I'll stick it on tomorrow.

Cheers man

I'll have (from Skybet wasn't it?):

• Spieth E/W £3.00 
  • Horschel E/W £2.00
  • Cink E/W £1.00
  • D Johnson and DeRoideau to both miss the cut £2.00 

I’ve stuck a few quid on Willy Z E/W, Cam Smith and my outisder bet is Jordan Smith who’s impressed me recently when I’ve been watching the DP. 

Absolutely buzzing for tomorrow despite still suffering the effects of the honking Covid that I contracted last week. I’m really hoping I don’t make an arse of myself and keel over at some point and require medical assistance. The weather is looking like ideal shorts and sunglasses conditions which is all you can ask for really. I will absolutely be following Bryson and BJD for a few holes.

29 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ve stuck a few quid on Willy Z E/W, Cam Smith and my outisder bet is Jordan Smith who’s impressed me recently when I’ve been watching the DP. 

Absolutely buzzing for tomorrow despite still suffering the effects of the honking Covid that I contracted last week. I’m really hoping I don’t make an arse of myself and keel over at some point and require medical assistance. The weather is looking like ideal shorts and sunglasses conditions which is all you can ask for really. I will absolutely be following Bryson and BJD for a few holes.

I wouldn't like to be the group in front of them. They'll be standing aside at half the par 4 greens on the course.

First time at a practice round and it’s a bit of a bizarre atmosphere/system. Groups randomly combining into 5/6 balls that take about 20 mins on the green then have to stand for 20 mins on the next tee. Players disappearing from one tee time then randomly appearing on a later one. It’s still good but so different to a normal day.