Golfers Thread

Gaz

Totally agree with the guys who said earlier on thread that it's hard to get into this course when watching it on tv. It really is quite bizarre and there isn't a brilliant atmosphere. 

With that being said, I visited on Friday and absolutely loved it. From parking the car to getting through security took less than ten minutes. Was also able to follow Zal, Fitzpatrick and Morikawa with relative ease and able to get a good view on the vast majority of their shots. This wasn't something I was able to do as easily back when it was held at Loch Lomond although much preferred the course. Mind you, it's not Links. Felt very fortunate being able to get so close to a number of top players. Also managed to catch a good chunk of Spieth's round. I do wonder what the players make of it. A couple of greens are no where near the next tee so the players need to get a buggy. 

The only downside to visiting on Friday was ordering chips took 20 minutes, sun burnt and the portaloo toilets were absolutely vile by mid afternoon. 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I can only assume that you've never visited the Prestwick, Troon, Irvine stretch of coastline on the West.

I have. There's some fantastic courses there, including Prestwick which has strong links with my club (situated at the start of Scotland's Golf Coast). There was a delegation from Prestwick at our place last week as it's a pretty significant year for us.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

You're probably right though, it's the Ayrshire / Fife councils etc who should be up in arms about this as there's an insinuation that this is widely regarded / accepted as "the place to be" and  that there's no Golf or decent Golf played elsewhere. 

You're the only one making this bizarre insinuation tbh.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

That is obviously unacceptable from a marketing perspective if either of them actually cared and in fact I'm surprised that some of the clubs in those areas haven't put in a legal challenge.

As I said, it's up to the local authorities to market their golf courses as they see fit. Hopefully they will come up with something better than 'Welcome to Ayrshire, the Home of the lawyers who tried to sue East Lothian Council'.

Because nothing could promote Scotland and Scottish golf better than petty local authorities taking each other to court right ?

In my 1st 5 holes in the medal today I had a 3,4,5,6 and a 7. (Not in that order mind) With not a single par in there. Managed to finish with a nett 68 though.

Stupid game imo.

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Norman is a complete and utter arsehole, and I have absolutely no doubt that had he attended he'd have somehow used it to publicise LIV. At the very least the media would have turned the whole thing into a LIV shitfest. Mickelson is obviously a complete and utter arsehole as well, but at least he had the self-awareness to not go. I'm more than happy for Normal to be ostracised from the game as far as possible. An utter cock of a man. 

Bit strange for Mickelson to play the tournament itself but not attend the dinner IMO.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I can only assume that you've never visited the Prestwick, Troon, Irvine stretch of coastline on the West.

You're probably right though, it's the Ayrshire / Fife councils etc who should be up in arms about this as there's an insinuation that this is widely regarded / accepted as "the place to be" and  that there's no Golf or decent Golf played elsewhere. That is obviously unacceptable from a marketing perspective if either of them actually cared and in fact I'm surprised that some of the clubs in those areas haven't put in a legal challenge.

Angus coast too

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

The world's most Tory sport acting offended over this Saudi thing is incredibly entertaining.

Yea, golf is absolutely more “Tory” than the likes of polo, dressage or croquet - and that’s just three I can think of off the top of my head!

You’ve obviously never hacked your way around the likes of Dalmuir. Proper scheme sport IMO.

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Yea, golf is absolutely more “Tory” than the likes of polo, dressage or croquet - and that’s just three I can think of off the top of my head!

You’ve obviously never hacked your way around the likes of Dalmuir. Proper scheme sport IMO.

I mean at the professional top level. My Dad is a member of a relatively working class club so i'm aware that it's a widely popular game in Scotland.

I wouldn't consider any of those sports btw. It's guys like Poulter flying around in private jets that make it seem completely out of kilter. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I mean at the professional top level. My Dad is a member of a relatively working class club so i'm aware that it's a widely popular game in Scotland.

I wouldn't consider any of those sports btw. It's guys like Poulter flying around in private jets that make it seem completely out of kilter. 

Hilarious chat from a rugby fan. A sport where the main route for professional players tend to be coming through from public schools.

49 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Hilarious chat from a rugby fan. A sport where the main route for professional players tend to be coming through from public schools.

Aye rugby is a Tory sport as well but you can't play it wearing slacks and a gillet so it's not as Tory as golf.

Aye rugby is a Tory sport as well but you can't play it wearing slacks and a gillet so it's not as Tory as golf.

Zzzzzzzz.

Anyway, barring a monumental f**k up, Schaufele seems to this in the bag after a glorious approach to the par 5 16th.

It's difficult to pigeon hole sports as 'Tory sports' tbh. Take cricket, Tory as f**k, except It's pretty working class in Yorkshire and in the slums of India and the beaches of the Caribbean. Rugby, how many tories in the crowd at Murrayfield ? But look at the game in Wales, Ireland, NZ and the Scottish Borders. Golf is the same, at my club in Musselburgh there's boys that turn up for the Wednesday evening sweep still in there hi viz, but 20 miles down the road you have Muirfield, the epitome of class culture.

The ultimate Tory sport is F1 imo.