Golfers Thread

Gaz

6 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

And now you've added "expert in charity law" to your CV, let me correct you - to be a charity, an organisation must demonstrate "public benefit" in at least one of a number of defined areas. In the Links case (and this is freely available to confirm on their website) this is for the "preservation and maintenance of the historic golf links", and compliance with this will be actively monitored by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR).

So what they (and other Links Trusts do) is entirely above board whether you like it or not.

Sigh. Everything I said is 100% correct and accurate. If you lived in a host town you'd know that.

Above board as in just and only legal does not mean correct and moral. They are not charities. There's nothing charitable about them. They are businesses that make a shitload of money. They dodge tax by operating as charities. That's why they're charities mate. In order to do that they must donate a certain amount to local projects. That's one of the requirements. You've added nothing to this here

It's immoral and dishonest. They're two extremely profitable businesses that should be contributing to public services but don't.  I don't like that, perhaps you do.

8 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Yeah I'm sure I remember hearing a story a good few years back using the name St Andrews. It was when someone started developing a new course out on the A915 behind Cairnsmill. It was rumoured whoever was building it wanted to use the St Andrews in the name of it and that the links Trust kicked up a stink. It was eventually pulled for some reason or another. Think over the years various companies have started it and never finished it. Sure Ogren at United was involved in the latest attempt.

Believe it or not the Castle Course has now been there for nearly 15 years.

They get incredibly pissy and litigious about that. They literally wanted to trademark St Andrews and appealed it right to the highest court in Europe taking years and millions of pounds. St Andrews was a settlement long before it was a golf course so they got rightly laughed out of court.

I'm amazed it's been that long since the castle opened. Time flies. I wonder if Dumbarnie is the same no idea it's a while since I've been involved over there.

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Sigh. Everything I said is 100% correct and accurate. If you lived in a host town you'd know that.

Above board as in just and only legal does not mean correct and moral. They are not charities. There's nothing charitable about them. They are businesses that make a shitload of money. They dodge tax by operating as charities. That's why they're charities mate. In order to do that they must donate a certain amount to local projects. That's one of the requirements. You've added nothing to this here

It's immoral and dishonest. They're two extremely profitable businesses that should be contributing to public services but don't.  I don't like that, perhaps you do.

If they donated money to local causes and it's not in their Charitable Aims, they'd be breaking the law.

I've run a charity with a significant commercial income (in excess of £2.5m pa commercial turnover, and not via a "traditional" charity shop, before you ask), and I can categorically state that making a donation to any local project that wasn't specifically for the purpose of stated and recorded charitable aims, it'd be deemed ultra vires (ie "beyond the powers") and in breach of charity law.

And look, right here on the OSCR website, the Links Trust have defined their charitable aims for all to see:

https://www.oscr.org.uk/about-charities/search-the-register/charity-details?number=SC006161

And look, right here on the Links Trust's own website, it details the local community work it is engaged with for the furtherment of these aims:

https://standrews.com/page/local_community

Just what is it about promoting kids golf or helping out organisations that work to protect the local dunes that you don't like???

If you think they're not behaving like a charity by only making money for their own ends, report them - OSCR takes the good governance of charities very seriously, and I'm sure they'd love to have some evidence to bring a notable charity with a significant commercial turnover to heel and take them down a peg. OSCR also has the power to remove an organisation's charitable status, or press for conviction of Trustees responsible for potentially fraudulent charitable activity. All you'd have to do is provide some evidence that "They are not charities. There's nothing charitable about them" (your words). 

Have fun...

Alternatively, you can accept that you haven't a scooby about what most charities are or do.

8 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

If they donated money to local causes and it's not in their Charitable Aims, they'd be breaking the law.

I've run a charity with a significant commercial income (in excess of £2.5m pa commercial turnover, and not via a "traditional" charity shop, before you ask), and I can categorically state that making a donation to any local project that wasn't specifically for the purpose of stated and recorded charitable aims, it'd be deemed ultra vires (ie "beyond the powers") and in breach of charity law.

And look, right here on the OSCR website, the Links Trust have defined their charitable aims for all to see:

https://www.oscr.org.uk/about-charities/search-the-register/charity-details?number=SC006161

And look, right here on the Links Trust's own website, it details the local community work it is engaged with for the furtherment of these aims:

https://standrews.com/page/local_community

Just what is it about promoting kids golf or helping out organisations that work to protect the local dunes that you don't like???

If you think they're not behaving like a charity by only making money for their own ends, report them - OSCR takes the good governance of charities very seriously, and I'm sure they'd love to have some evidence to bring a notable charity with a significant commercial turnover to heel and take them down a peg. OSCR also has the power to remove an organisation's charitable status, or press for conviction of Trustees responsible for potentially fraudulent charitable activity. All you'd have to do is provide some evidence that "They are not charities. There's nothing charitable about them" (your words). 

Have fun...

Alternatively, you can accept that you haven't a scooby about what most charities are or do.

You're right. There is no way they could promoted kids golf if they paid tax. Excellent point, can't believe I didn't think of that.

I'm sure everything they do is perfectly legal and above board. It would be quite difficult for the most high profile business in the country to be anything else. However, that doesn't mean what they do is moral or defensible. 

3 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

"If it would take the professionals 6 hours how long would it take the amateurs?" About 4 Andy because they don't f**k about

Took me and my old man 4h20 last summer on a rammed day, and that included the walk back to the car park where I remembered to end the round on my watch