Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

They’re coming up the last in the darkness now. The second round starts in just over eight hours.

It's just as well the 18th is a comparatively easy driving hole...

Edit: Glad to see Woods is teeing off at 8.30am tomorrow. Means I'll be able to catch him coming down the 18th when I get home from work at 5.30 tomorrow night. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

5 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:
7 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:
Yes mate. But the course has been closed for three and a half weeks before it. So they lose a shit ton of money. You make a loss to hold the open. You make it back in future by attracting more tourists, but St Andrews gets them anyway.

The course being closed for three weeks would lose them in the region of a million quid. They will have generated 5 times that in ticket sales for today alone. There is absolutely not a fucking chance they are losing money on this. I mean they are charging between £50-£250 a night to stay in a tent in front of the hotel ffs.

And the hotel is owned by Herb Kohler. Owns Whistling Straits. Old billionaire American made his money in plumbing. So have a wee guess at who is getting the money for people to stay in a tent in front of the hotel. I'll give you a clue, his name starts with H and ends with erb Kohler.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Commentators sticking with the "if anyone can do it" chat but he looks utterly fucked.

Playing 18 tomorrow is as much as can be hoped for him. No way is there a score in that man's body atm.

Yup he looks done. The “if anyone can” would’ve worked 10 years ago, not after 2 career threatening injuries and an ageing wreck of a body. The GOAT in my eyes, but I hope he chucks it after this weekend 

5 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:
7 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:
Yes mate. But the course has been closed for three and a half weeks before it. So they lose a shit ton of money. You make a loss to hold the open. You make it back in future by attracting more tourists, but St Andrews gets them anyway.

The course being closed for three weeks would lose them in the region of a million quid. They will have generated 5 times that in ticket sales for today alone. There is absolutely not a fucking chance they are losing money on this. I mean they are charging between £50-£250 a night to stay in a tent in front of the hotel ffs.

You thought the old course owns the old course hotel didn't you? That's so naive it's cute.

As I said before every single thing about that place is monetised, exploited and commidified to the maximum extent possible and all of it is owned outside of Scotland. The whole place is Scotland as a caricature whoring itself out to rich people and is as Tory as it gets.

Yup he looks done. The “if anyone can” would’ve worked 10 years ago, not after 2 career threatening injuries and an ageing wreck of a body. The GOAT in my eyes, but I hope he chucks it after this weekend 
I've always thought he wouldn't play just to make up the numbers, but sadly that's what his last few outings have been. He isn't anywhere near fully fit imo, but maybe he knows this is as fit as he can actually get and that's why he is playing.

Look mate I know what I'm talking about. Ten hours of tee times. Sux tee times an hour. Sixty tee times. 240 golfers. Times 300 quid.
And the hotels, pubs, restaurants in the area also are significantly quieter in that time. 
So 240 x 300 is what seventy grand per day. Plus this week. So it's 28 days (the 25 days it's closed minus the three Sundays as the old course is closed on a Sunday) times just over seventy grand. So the old course on its own loses about two million just in green fees alone. Not including what is spent on merchandise etc.
And here's the real pisser. You're going on about how much it costs to get in etc. As you don't have ta clue what you're talking about. That money doesn't go to the old course mate. That goes to the r and a.
A host venue gets paid a fee by the r and a to host it, which comes nowhere near covering what they lose. Not even close. It's like in the hundreds of thousands if that. I know the people involved with this at Carnoustie very well.
So you definitely 100% without question lose money to host the open. Definitely, without any doubt. But it guarantees you're busy for the next ten years so you finish up in the end anyway.
One thing I can guarantee you is the hotels, pubs and restaurants have not been quieter in the few weeks leading up to the open. For the last 3 weeks of June there was University graduations going on pretty much all day every day. The pubs/restaurants have been raking it in. Trust me mate I know what I'm talking about.

Been widely reported that hosting this open will benefit the local economy by up to £200 million.

You can shit on the old course all you want but this event has a massive impact on all areas of the local economy

You thought the old course owns the old course hotel didn't you? That's so naive it's cute.
As I said before every single thing about that place is monetised, exploited and commidified to the maximum extent possible and all of it is owned outside of Scotland. The whole place is Scotland as a caricature whoring itself out to rich people and is as Tory as it gets.
Yeah mate I have worked in St Andrews for nearly 10 years and I didn't know that Kohler owned the biggest hotel in town you condescending arsehole.

13 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

One thing I can guarantee you is the hotels, pubs and restaurants have not been quieter in the few weeks leading up to the open. For the last 3 weeks of June there was University graduations going on pretty much all day every day. The pubs/restaurants have been raking it in. Trust me mate I know what I'm talking about.

Been widely reported that hosting this open will benefit the local economy by up to £200 million.

You can shit on the old course all you want but this event has a massive impact on all areas of the local economy

It's great for the local economy. Carnoustie 2007 was estimated 72 million or maybe 2018 I can't remember.

However we're talking about the course. And the course definitely loses money to host it. No doubt about it.

As for pubs etc yes they have been quieter. I still work in golf mate we've been significantly quieter too. Always are, knew it and expected it. Busy again as of Sunday.

It's very simple. Despite it being a goat track everybody wants to play the old course. If they can't play the old course they're much less likely to come and a lot less of them do. Packages slightly cheaper too for that reason. University graduation doesn't come close to what golf brings in.

Overall it's a massive positive for the area and the course of course it is but it's not nearly as simple as you think.

3 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Yeah mate I have worked in St Andrews for nearly 10 years and I didn't know that Kohler owned the biggest hotel in town you condescending arsehole.

Apparently not given you were talking about what they were charging. That's of no relevance whatsoever to the old course. They could forty billion a night and be sold out and it wouldn't affect the course one iota.

5 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

And two things. How the f**k am I supposed to know where you work. It's not my fault you're too stupid to follow the thread of a conversation sufficiently well to not say something that would indicate you didn't know that. So it's not condescending in the slightest, it's the natural result of your stupidity.

Secondly you'll notice not once have I abused anybody on here, yet you just called me an arsehole.

Apparently not given you were talking about what they were charging. That's of no relevance whatsoever to the old course. They could forty billion a night and be sold out and it wouldn't affect the course one iota.
Think you have crossed wires. I wasn't referring to the hotel. I was referring to Station Park.

Anyone else a sad act and set their alarm for 6am just to see the opening tee shots? I’m off as well [emoji23]
Don't have to, I'm nightshift and can always find a quiet corner.

Vested interest tomorrow as I have money on Ryan Fox.

4 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:
21 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Think you have crossed wires. I wasn't referring to the hotel. I was referring to Station Park.

Well that's the council then. Still of no benefit to the course.

5 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:
23 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:
Well that's the council then. Still of no benefit to the course.

Is it not the case that the course is owned by the council? (Genuine question)

It's separate. The courses are owned by St Andrews links trust which is actually a registered charity. Owned by the trust on behalf of the people of the town.

Another thing I don't like, Carnoustie is the same btw, is the 'charity' bit. It's just a tax dodge that's all it is.

To be a charity they have to donate a certain amount to local projects etc but it's a lot less than what they would pay in tax if they were just a normal business. And a that's exactly what they are. They're not charities they're very profitable businesses that should be paying tax and contributing to public services.

Because it's a charity St Andrews is only allowed to hold a certain amount of money at any one time. And they're loaded, absolutely rolling in it. So much so they spent years and millions trying to trademark the name St Andrews, taking it to the highest court in Europe. Before being told to f**k off and stop being so ridiculous rightly.

Anyway they built a new course the castle about what seven or eight years ago. And the main reason they did this was they just had too much money and had to spend it on something or they'd lose their charity status.

The whole thing is just grotesque when you scratch the surface. Quite similar to Liv golf actually. Money money money and zero morals.