Golfers Thread

Gaz

I love the fact that the guys from the Invitation-only Tour are complaining about not being invited to everyone else's party
That for me is the problem with LIV, the players want to have their cake and eat it, but still come back and eat everyone else's too.

Yes mate. But the course has been closed for three and a half weeks before it. So they lose a shit ton of money. You make a loss to hold the open. You make it back in future by attracting more tourists, but St Andrews gets them anyway.
The course being closed for three weeks would lose them in the region of a million quid. They will have generated 5 times that in ticket sales for today alone. There is absolutely not a fucking chance they are losing money on this. I mean they are charging between £50-£250 a night to stay in a tent in front of the hotel ffs.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:
Tiger is fucked! Can see a withdrawal from the great man

Saw a tweet on Sundat saying that he looked to be in discomfort after every full blooded shot.

Heard someone say yesterday he's up to eyes in strong painkillers, trying to dumb the pain from injuries received in that road accident.

Sad really, he's always been a great ambassador for the sport, but unlikely he'll ever get any of his old form back.

5 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Heard someone say yesterday he's up to eyes in strong painkillers, trying to dumb the pain from injuries received in that road accident.

Sad really, he's always been a great ambassador for the sport, but unlikely he'll ever get any of his old form back.

He was talking earlier in the week about whether or not this might be his last open at St Andrews but it's looking increasingly like it could be his last one ever. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

What’s been said? 

I see Poulter saying he heard no boo’s this morning and only cheers. 

I thought it was only one guy with a rather large boo at the first tee this morning. I was in the kitchen so could be wrong. 

1 minute ago, dave_binos said:

I thought it was only one guy with a rather large boo at the first tee this morning. I was in the kitchen so could be wrong. 

I seemed to hear a few boos, I was surprised there wasn't the same for the likes of Westwood, Johnson or Mickelson.

15 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

The course being closed for three weeks would lose them in the region of a million quid. They will have generated 5 times that in ticket sales for today alone. There is absolutely not a fucking chance they are losing money on this. I mean they are charging between £50-£250 a night to stay in a tent in front of the hotel ffs.

I can't say what the numbers are, but it'll be the R&A coining in the big income, whilst the St Andrews Links lose the green fee income for the Old Course (and the other courses directly affected by the logistics). Of course, Links will charge a fee to the R&A which will clearly more than compensate them for the temporary loss in green fee income, but I'm sure our resident hod carrier won't let that logic get in the way of his argument...

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Tiger on the 8th tee.

Coltart: "The way Tiger is striking the ball he could put this close."

He's +6 thru 7 holes ffs.

He must've been meaning that even a complete sclaff could trundle along the fairway and on to the green in these conditions. 

It's certainly a tactic I've employed with some success over the years... 

7 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Just shows you the difference in scoring when the breeze picks up slightly.

The course has held up pretty well so far, even with just a moderate breeze. If the scoring is similar tomorrow the cut mark looks about level par.