Golfers Thread

Gaz

It's separate. The courses are owned by St Andrews links trust which is actually a registered charity. Owned by the trust on behalf of the people of the town.
Another thing I don't like, Carnoustie is the same btw, is the 'charity' bit. It's just a tax dodge that's all it is.
To be a charity they have to donate a certain amount to local projects etc but it's a lot less than what they would pay in tax if they were just a normal business. And a that's exactly what they are. They're not charities they're very profitable businesses that should be paying tax and contributing to public services.
Because it's a charity St Andrews is only allowed to hold a certain amount of money at any one time. And they're loaded, absolutely rolling in it. So much so they spent years and millions trying to trademark the name St Andrews, taking it to the highest court in Europe. Before being told to f**k off and stop being so ridiculous rightly.
Anyway they built a new course the castle about what seven or eight years ago. And the main reason they did this was they just had too much money and had to spend it on something or they'd lose their charity status.
The whole thing is just grotesque when you scratch the surface. Quite similar to Liv golf actually. Money money money and zero morals.

Yeah I'm sure I remember hearing a story a good few years back using the name St Andrews. It was when someone started developing a new course out on the A915 behind Cairnsmill. It was rumoured whoever was building it wanted to use the St Andrews in the name of it and that the links Trust kicked up a stink. It was eventually pulled for some reason or another. Think over the years various companies have started it and never finished it. Sure Ogren at United was involved in the latest attempt.

Believe it or not the Castle Course has now been there for nearly 15 years.

Haotong Li just got a huge break at 1. Came up short, hit the wall of the burn, and bounced back into the fairway.
Of course he took advantage of this good fortune by putting the next one straight into the burn
Surprised they've gone with another front pin, looks even closer to the burn than yesterday.

7 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

It's separate. The courses are owned by St Andrews links trust which is actually a registered charity. Owned by the trust on behalf of the people of the town.

Another thing I don't like, Carnoustie is the same btw, is the 'charity' bit. It's just a tax dodge that's all it is.

To be a charity they have to donate a certain amount to local projects etc

And now you've added "expert in charity law" to your CV, let me correct you - to be a charity, an organisation must demonstrate "public benefit" in at least one of a number of defined areas. In the Links case (and this is freely available to confirm on their website) this is for the "preservation and maintenance of the historic golf links", and compliance with this will be actively monitored by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR).

So what they (and other Links Trusts do) is entirely above board whether you like it or not.

3 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

I miss Butch Harmon’s commentary and insight into the game. Always honest and offered a different perspective. 

I miss his “at a boy Rory/Dustin/JT” after a great shot 

6 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:
20 minutes ago, dave_binos said:
I miss Butch Harmon’s commentary and insight into the game. Always honest and offered a different perspective. 

Why is he no longer on? Retired?

Hopefully not. Maybe sitting this one out. Did commentary from his Vegas home in a previous major championship/s. The boys in commentary are putting in some shift with the long days. 

16 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Absolute classic. His boy Claude also offered great insight. 

Still remember seeing an OpenZone with Claude, where he took a right handed driver, turned it round and hit it lefty. Thing went for miles.

He was on the range with DJ on Wednesday, but think given how busy he is with all his players, sadly he doesn't have time for TV

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I enjoy most of the commentary team on Sky to be fair although Butch is missed. McGinley obviously a bore but most others are good to listen to. Replace McGinley with someone like Sam Torrance and it would be smashing. 

I'm going to be slightly controversial...

When McGinley is just talking the technical stuff - how to hit shots, why players have selected certain shots, what they've done wrong - he is actually very informative, and generally spot on.

He would be suited to a role along the lines of the F1 Race Control that Chandhok and Davidson do. He's fucking awful as an out and out commentator/pundit though

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm going to be slightly controversial...

When McGinley is just talking the technical stuff - how to hit shots, why players have selected certain shots, what they've done wrong - he is actually very informative, and generally spot on.

He would be suited to a role along the lines of the F1 Race Control that Chandhok and Davidson do. He's fucking awful as an out and out commentator/pundit though

I don't actually disagree with that, I just find him boring to listen to.