Golfers Thread

Gaz

Stenson adds nothing to LIV in terms of playing quality, nobody (except Swedes maybe) is going to watch it because he is playing.

This one is purely done as a GIRFUY to the DP World Tour and the Ryder Cup. Greg will be trumpeting how LIV is more attractive than captaining Europe. We all know it's the cash that's more attractive.

A few journos hinting that Stenson knew this was on the cards when he took the captaincy, and did so as he knew it could drive his price up.

Charles Howell III seems to be the hot tip to be one of the other new players at Bedminster. Currently 173 on the OWGR  another player who isn't giving the ranking points much of a boost if they do play an Asian tour event. Fwiw Stenson is 171st.

Leishman and Matsuyama have also been linked, alongside Smith. I think most of the big hitters will wait until the end of the Fed Ex as mentioned but Matsuyama would be a big target if I was in LIV’s shoes. You can start to corner the Japanese market with him and he isn’t gonna care as much about the OWGR stuff as he’s a recent Masters winner so will have exemptions for the next few years.

1 hour ago, Ignoramus said:

Leishman and Matsuyama have also been linked, alongside Smith. I think most of the big hitters will wait until the end of the Fed Ex as mentioned but Matsuyama would be a big target if I was in LIV’s shoes. You can start to corner the Japanese market with him and he isn’t gonna care as much about the OWGR stuff as he’s a recent Masters winner so will have exemptions for the next few years.

In connection with Matsuyama Liv are trying to attract srixon into the fold aswell to fully corner the Japanese market 

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Jason Kokrak the third new man for next week.

Well that makes it clear that none of the top golfers are going to leave before the end of the season. If it wasn't for the Ryder Cup factor, announcing Stenson, Howell III and Kokrak wouldn't exactly cause much consternation within the PGA and DP Tours. 

As the fog clears on this LIV thing I’m not quite getting the seethe. The sign ups are largely getting towards the twilight of their careers and aren’t going to be troubling any of the main prizes anyway.

They’re on a downward trajectory on the OGWR measure, a number have exemptions for Majors while they still think they can be competitive and I’m fairly sure that if I (pah!) had the choice of seeing out my 40s waiting for the Seniors Tour to arrive or jumping for a wad of cash to play in a pool where I was once again competitive among my world peers I expect its not that tough a decision to make. 

The vilification of some (Poulter excluded, obvs) is I think a wee bit much. Leave them to it, you decide where you want to spend your time/money.

And the freed up space allows others in from the bottom up where deadwoods were hoarding spaces. I’d let them go, leave them to their Disneyland golf and focus instead on keeping DP/PGA Tours out in front. 

Nobody is overly bothered about the players going over to LIV. It’s the fact that they want to hoover up the Saudi money yet still cherry pick the bigger PGA/DPWT events and Majors, thus denying their replacements the opportunity to establish themselves and make their own way in the game. It makes their “growing the game” spiel sound like the absolute gibberish that it is.

35 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

As the fog clears on this LIV thing I’m not quite getting the seethe. The sign ups are largely getting towards the twilight of their careers and aren’t going to be troubling any of the main prizes anyway.

They’re on a downward trajectory on the OGWR measure, a number have exemptions for Majors while they still think they can be competitive and I’m fairly sure that if I (pah!) had the choice of seeing out my 40s waiting for the Seniors Tour to arrive or jumping for a wad of cash to play in a pool where I was once again competitive among my world peers I expect its not that tough a decision to make. 

The vilification of some (Poulter excluded, obvs) is I think a wee bit much. Leave them to it, you decide where you want to spend your time/money.

And the freed up space allows others in from the bottom up where deadwoods were hoarding spaces. I’d let them go, leave them to their Disneyland golf and focus instead on keeping DP/PGA Tours out in front. 

I've no issue with them doing it for the money. They don't all fall into this category, but guys who can't quite cut it at the top level anymore getting millions for a hit and giggle exhibition. It's a no brainer.

It's the disingenuous, condescending bullshit that we're being fed about it 'growing the game' and 'it's not about the money, it's for the betterment of golf'. It's the entitled attitudes of wanting to have their cake and eat it, threatening to sue the tours after saying they left because they wanted to play less. It's the Ryder Cup captain leveraging his position to sell out the tour and his fellow pros. It's the fact that it's turning into another bullshit American culture war political issue with the involvement of Trump and the cretins that make up his family, followers and hangers on.

And finally, after the acquisition of Stenson, there can be no doubt that this is now about doing as much damage as possible to the professional game and it's existing structures and an attempt by Norman and the fucking Saudi royal family to gain the balance of power or actual control over the game of golf at that level.

Got to agree with many comments here. It’s not so much about individuals grabbing bucketfuls of sportswashing Saudi cash, it’s about their ‘good of the game’, ‘growing the game’ pish. A blowtorch couldn’t mark their brass necks. Add that ‘growing the game’ pish to them wanting the cherry on the top of the icing on the cake in majors, Ryder Cups etc, then the lot of these LIV whores can frankly just fcuk off.

Stenson used the phrase ‘golf as a force for good’ twice in his statement. That must be a typo’. He meant ‘greed’ surely.

"Gleneagles, the riviera of the Scottish Highlands" apparently. Are Visit Scotland just doing this to take the piss out of Andy Coltart now?

2 hours ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

I've no issue with them doing it for the money. They don't all fall into this category, but guys who can't quite cut it at the top level anymore getting millions for a hit and giggle exhibition. It's a no brainer.

It's the disingenuous, condescending bullshit that we're being fed about it 'growing the game' and 'it's not about the money, it's for the betterment of golf'. It's the entitled attitudes of wanting to have their cake and eat it, threatening to sue the tours after saying they left because they wanted to play less. It's the Ryder Cup captain leveraging his position to sell out the tour and his fellow pros. It's the fact that it's turning into another bullshit American culture war political issue with the involvement of Trump and the cretins that make up his family, followers and hangers on.

And finally, after the acquisition of Stenson, there can be no doubt that this is now about doing as much damage as possible to the professional game and it's existing structures and an attempt by Norman and the fucking Saudi royal family to gain the balance of power or actual control over the game of golf at that level.

Probably the best summary of the whole unedifying spectacle.

I don't know why Norman is so bitter towards the tours as he did pretty fucking well out of them (well other than the numerous Majors he completely bottled). I do vaguely remember him trying to set up some sort of "world series" type nonsense a good few years ago which went absolutely nowhere. Maybe that's why he's so angry. 

Also I saw the first twitter mention of the WOKE LEFT trying to stop Mickelson win on the PGA Tour which confirmed for me that this LIV pish is utter shite and needs fucking stamped on. I have no issue with a bunch of crocks, jobbers and has-beens making millions on the LIV tour, but they can stay there and "compete" in tinpot AF events, instead of trying to cherry pick their way into events on the PGA and DP Tours which are apparently "holding them back". 

Bunch of absolute c***s. 

24 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

"Gleneagles, the riviera of the Scottish Highlands" apparently. Are Visit Scotland just doing this to take the piss out of Andy Coltart now?

Does riviera not literally mean coastline in old Italian or Latin ?