Rugby Union

kiwififer

Sam Johnston and Nick Crigg both signed contract extensions, definitely seems like Bennett is off elsewhere, would prefer if he stayed but in terms of Pro12 Glasgow can't have the squad, never mind the team full of Scottish internationalists.

50 minutes ago, ddfg said:

Sam Johnston and Nick Crigg both signed contract extensions, definitely seems like Bennett is off elsewhere, would prefer if he stayed but in terms of Pro12 Glasgow can't have the squad, never mind the team full of Scottish internationalists.

Yep, Bennett and Vernon will be leaving. Hope Vernon can get some rugby somewhere to restart his career after injuries. 

Also gone surprisingly is Favaro, who is a fans favourite- but it seems Dave Rennie is bringing in Callum Gibbins from the Hurricanes instead. 

Glasgow apparently interested in SA prop Oli Kebble too. 

Sorry to see Favaro go, I know he didn;t play for Italy last year to concentrate on Glasgow, wonder if its a case of once he decided to play for Italy again it wasn't worth it?

Have Strauss and Bennett been offered contracts (ie at not the best terms) but Glasgow are not pulling out the stops to keep them? I am assuming that Bennett is being offered a place at Edinburgh so that he is guaranteed game time? Hopefully Ashe gets himself fit as he will be a ready made replacement for Strauss if he does. I am assuming that Glasgow have spend all their budget keeping Hogg, Russell, Gray and Seymour which wont have been cheap and will certainly have had interest from the AP and Top14.

The problem we have is the Pro teams are still not making enough money and are needing handouts from the SRU to keep players. Granted all the other countries are the same, but not to the same extent as Scotland (apart from Italy). Glasgow are hindered by Scotstoun not being big enough (lowest attendance this season in the Pro12 is only 185 off capacity) but the likes of Leinster and Ulster are more than double, Munster nearly double. Connaught and the welsh teams are on a par both Ireland and Wales have 4 teams to spread their internationals around. 

52 minutes ago, GAD said:

Has Favaro maybe been too injury prone? He hasn't played that many games and if he's playing for Italy he can't cover the 6nations either.

That's my thinking. Favaro hasn't played all that much and no 6 nations cover unlike his man from NZ. Probably think the cash could be better used. He'll get another club no worries. 

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

Sorry to see Favaro go, I know he didn;t play for Italy last year to concentrate on Glasgow, wonder if its a case of once he decided to play for Italy again it wasn't worth it?

Have Strauss and Bennett been offered contracts (ie at not the best terms) but Glasgow are not pulling out the stops to keep them? I am assuming that Bennett is being offered a place at Edinburgh so that he is guaranteed game time? Hopefully Ashe gets himself fit as he will be a ready made replacement for Strauss if he does. I am assuming that Glasgow have spend all their budget keeping Hogg, Russell, Gray and Seymour which wont have been cheap and will certainly have had interest from the AP and Top14.

The problem we have is the Pro teams are still not making enough money and are needing handouts from the SRU to keep players. Granted all the other countries are the same, but not to the same extent as Scotland (apart from Italy). Glasgow are hindered by Scotstoun not being big enough (lowest attendance this season in the Pro12 is only 185 off capacity) but the likes of Leinster and Ulster are more than double, Munster nearly double. Connaught and the welsh teams are on a par both Ireland and Wales have 4 teams to spread their internationals around. 

That's my assumption too. Makes sense if he's rotating with Johnson.

I'll be disappointed to see Favaro and Strauss leave. If Strauss ends up in the Top 14, he'd fucking better not join Racing 92. Unless his sole responsibility is to volley that cunt O'Gara into next week.

The Scotland v France game is particularly important for the world cup seedings in 2019, particularly for France. 

There is a lot of combinations possible depending on scores. Scotland are currently 7th in the world but we have potential to be 4th and in Band 1 or 9th and in Band 3! 9th guarantees you the pool of death so being top 8 at least gives you a shot of avoiding it. 

A win, even a narrow one, I think (!)  guarantees us band 2 as long as Italy don't turn us over at Murrayfield. 

For the top tier it is slim chance! I think we need to win a grand slam or more likely have Ireland to lose games against England and most likely someone else and us to win all but 1 defeat to either France or England. Wales could pip us, however to 4th if they are the team that beats Ireland depending on results.

Edited by flyingscot

The Scotland v France game is particularly important for the world cup seedings in 2019, particularly for France. 
There is a lot of combinations possible depending on scores. Scotland are currently 7th in the world but we have potential to be 4th and in Band 1 or 9th and in Band 3! 9th guarantees you the pool of death so being top 8 at least gives you a shot of avoiding it. 
A win, even a narrow one, I think (!)  guarantees us band 2 as long as Italy don't turn us over at Murrayfield. 
For the top tier it is slim chance! I think we need to win a grand slam or more likely have Ireland to lose games against England and most likely someone else and us to win all but 1 defeat to either France or England. Wales could pip us, however to 4th if they are the team that beats Ireland depending on results.

Would take band 2 in a heartbeat. Even if we did nick a band 1 it would be at the expense of a traditional band 1 side who we would inevitably be drawn with [emoji2]. After the fantastically lucky draw we had at last rwc from band 3 we are due a stinker but that said it feels like squad is heading in right direction. Really looking forward to toony taking over

Being the 2nd seed only benefits in terms of the scheduling of the games. If we get the 2nd seed spot (we would need to lose 2 points over the next 4 games), the 3rd seed will be one of Italy, Argentina, Japan and Georgia. You are then praying you dont get Argentina. Fourth pot will be just as bad as it will more than likely contain Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Romania with pot 4 could be US, Canada, Russia and Namibia.

On 2/6/2017 at 01:27, ajwffc said:

Have just got round to watching the game. The Irish scrum had the advantage due to them pushing early ( this stopped after it was pointed out to the ref) and the flanker going in at an angle. The line out for our 3rd try was a well worked move the 3rd Irish try looked like a double movement to me (pushed himself forwards with his knee then reached out). I was surprised with the number of high hits the Irish got away with

That was my first reaction, too.  I've watched it a few times since and reckon it was only one movement after he was tackled.

That was my first reaction, too.  I've watched it a few times since and reckon it was only one movement after he was tackled.

Kinda disagree....it wasn't momentum for me and it wasn't an immediate placement. I thought it was a genuine double movement though I've watched it so many times I might just be convincing myself....very surprised it wasn't at least tmod though.