Rugby Union

kiwififer

I'm not that optimistic to be honest. It's not just the length of the injury list that is an issue, it's the fact that so many of the injuries are in key positions in the pack. With two of our nailed on first pick back row, the lack of a big ball carrier and the fact we are a McInally knock away from playing a hooker with only and handful of professional games under their belt worries me. To be honest, I can see a 5th place finish. Hopefully though it gets more players in and integrated, then when the injured guys come back we can have a real good go at the world cup. I'd take a loss at Murrayfield if it meant beating Ireland in Japan no bother.

I’ve said before I think the Townsend appointment was hasty. As things are, Scotland is as Townsend does. Utterly unpredictable. If Scotland play to their best, they could win all their home games and in France, and come bloody close to winning the lot. But they’re just as likely to beat Italy by three points and lose to Ireland by 50.

Scotland finishing fifth is a fairly conservative pick. It’s well within the realms of possibility.

Personally I think they’ll win three games - Italy and Wales at home and France away.

Edit: Just read Joey’s review of Scotland’s away form. Two wins.

Edited to add again: Clive Woodward is up there with Colin w****r.

5 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

We’ve done ok away in test matches in Australia and Argentina but when was our last non Italy away 6 nations win.

Ireland? Fucking years ago. Possibly.

ETA: I'm remembering a last minute kick to win it. Maybe making things up, right enough.

Here you go, 2010: 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8578135.stm

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

Ireland? Fucking years ago. Possibly.
ETA: I'm remembering a last minute kick to win it. Maybe making things up, right enough.
Here you go, 2010: 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8578135.stm

I reckon only John Barclay and Ritchie Gray are still about from that squad and both are obviously out injured.

Had a look on The Rugby forum and most of them are predicting for either a 4th or 5th place finish. Some having us above France and others having us below. I’m always optimistic at the start of the six nations but can’t see past Ireland winning it. 

@Co.Down Hibee Are you running the predictor for it? 

Had a look on The Rugby forum and most of them are predicting for either a 4th or 5th place finish. Some having us above France and others having us below. I’m always optimistic at the start of the six nations but can’t see past Ireland winning it. 
[mention=38975]Co.Down Hibee[/mention] Are you running the predictor for it? 
Yes, he's started a thread

a 5th place finish for Scotland at the Hamilton(NZ) Sevens
I was up during the night and caught Scotland beating the Aussies in the 5th place semi final, ending a run of 9 losses against them. Fiji were just miles better than everybody else.

13 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I reckon only John Barclay and Ritchie Gray are still about from that squad and both are obviously out injured.

Richie Gray started for Toulouse yesterday. If he gets a good run of form and stays fit we'll have the brothers starting vs Ireland at the World Cup

Stafford McDowall, Rory Hughes and Henry Pyrgos added to the Scotland 6 nation's Squad. With Rob Harley, Matt Smith and Alex Dunbar being released back to their club.

Looks like Dunbar might not be carrying an injury but out of form. Let's hope he gets his form back soon as I think he's the best 12 we have.  

48 minutes ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Stafford McDowall, Rory Hughes and Henry Pyrgos added to the Scotland 6 nation's Squad. With Rob Harley, Matt Smith and Alex Dunbar being released back to their club.

Looks like Dunbar might not be carrying an injury but out of form. Let's hope he gets his form back soon as I think he's the best 12 we have.  

The Dunbar situation is quite strange, I think most people have him down as our best 12, and has played when fit in most internationals until now. To be dropped completely is strange, I dont think he has looked that out of form when I've seen him play recently.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

The Dunbar situation is quite strange, I think most people have him down as our best 12, and has played when fit in most internationals until now. To be dropped completely is strange, I dont think he has looked that out of form when I've seen him play recently.

It might just be injuries with Dunbar. He hasn't been able to play much rugby in the past two years. He was great against New Zealand until he went off injured but that seems to be a regular thing with him as he went off inured against Sarries this season and Leinster the previous season as well.

Sam Johnson looks the best candidate for 12 at the moment.

Hopefully the main reason he was released from the Scotland squad was just to go and tie up this deal then. Disappointed to see him go as (when fit) he probably is still the best 12 Glasgow have, but there’s plenty of logic to it when you think about it.

With Sam Johnson now qualified for Scotland and Stafford McDowall coming through, plus you already had Dunbar, Grigg, Huw Jones and Pete Horne, having 6 Scottish qualified centres at one club just doesn’t make sense any more. Dunbar has had his injury problems and (apart from Huw Jones) is presumably on the highest wage of the centres, but he’s also a very good player and recognised international so it was probably easier to find a club for him over the others.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

So a team for Saturday.... Dell McInally Nel Gilchrist Gray Ritchie Hardie Wilson Laidlaw Russell Seymour Johnson Jones Maitland Hogg

Subs: Cherry Allan Berghan Skinner Strauss Price Horne Graham

Think I would go pretty much the same, except maybe Strauss for Ritchie (with Wilson at 6).  You could make a case for Kinghorn for Graham, although both Maitland and Seymour can cover full back, and maybe Toolis for Skinner. Johnson v Deans is a tough one, Johnson looks a good player, but I've not seen enough of Deans to make much of a comparison - i know Scott & Bennett were the preffered centres at Embra at the start of the season, but Dean and Johnstone have played well in the bits ive seeen.

Although given it is Italy, I can see Townsend going left field with his selection.

Was wondering if anyone could make any recommendations, I will be taking a trip up to Murrayfield for the Wales game in March. Its the first time me and my mates have been out in Edinburgh for the rugby in a long time. We will be out the Friday and Saturday, for a few pre / post match drinks, but wondering where the best places to head for a good rugby crowd? - ideally large lively pubs with a good mix of fans?

5 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Was wondering if anyone could make any recommendations, I will be taking a trip up to Murrayfield for the Wales game in March. Its the first time me and my mates have been out in Edinburgh for the rugby in a long time. We will be out the Friday and Saturday, for a few pre / post match drinks, but wondering where the best places to head for a good rugby crowd? - ideally large lively pubs with a good mix of fans?

Imho, I'd recommend the fanzones after the game on Sat. There'll be live music no doubt and the small matter of Ireland v England on the big screen.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Think I would go pretty much the same, except maybe Strauss for Ritchie (with Wilson at 6).  You could make a case for Kinghorn for Graham, although both Maitland and Seymour can cover full back, and maybe Toolis for Skinner. Johnson v Deans is a tough one, Johnson looks a good player, but I've not seen enough of Deans to make much of a comparison - i know Scott & Bennett were the preffered centres at Embra at the start of the season, but Dean and Johnstone have played well in the bits ive seeen.

Although given it is Italy, I can see Townsend going left field with his selection.

I think it's vital to start with a win and cement a side for the World Cup so i think we will see the strongest line up on Saturday. Townsend got his fingers burned in Cardiff last year, I don't see him repeating that mistake.

I see where you are coming from with Strauss but Ritchie has moved his game up a level recently. Dean has been good for Edinburgh but Johnson is the best defender available for 12 and that was a problem in the autumn. I don't think i've ever predicted a Townsend Scotland side correctly so I expect to be wrong anyway.