Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp

That first scrum penalty for Glasgow looks like a real outlier. 

It looks very much like Exeter get a drive on before the ball even comes in though. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That first scrum penalty for Glasgow looks like a real outlier. 

It looks very much like Exeter get a drive on before the ball even comes in though. 

Their back row all popped up in the first scrum expecting the ball to go which gave us the nudge I think. The last scrum was going forward before the put in.

Not sure why they didn’t look at Simmonds hit on Turner.  And how is it not a knock on if you pick the ball up 4 feet in front of where you lost it?

Regardless of all that we are being outclassed / shit fested.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Men against boys here....truly one of the of the most one sided games I've watched in a  long time. I don't think that Glasgow have spent any time at all in Exeter's 22. 

I know that they're playing the best side in Europe, but Glasgow have really went backwards at an amazing pace over the last 18 months or so. Awful. 

Men against boys here....truly one of the of the most one sided games I've watched in a  long time. I don't think that Glasgow have spent any time at all in Exeter's 22. 
I know that they're playing the best side in Europe, but Glasgow have really went backwards at an amazing pace over the last 18 months or so. Awful. 
Usually look for any sort of positives even in defeats, but there's been very little that you could praise today. Huw Jones has looked lively since he came on, that's about it.

Guest Bob Mahelp
33 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

SRU. Hang your head in shame

Our professional clubs do seem to be remarkably uncompetitive at this moment in time. 

Our professional clubs do seem to be remarkably uncompetitive at this moment in time. 
Time for Dodson to show why he is worth a basic wage worth almost 3 times what his Irish equivalent earns, and that's before you add the bonuses that took him up to over 900k last year.

If you analyse this season, we got a good win against France, but arguably could have lost if not for sending off. We beat a shite Wales team (not in Cardiff) with no crowd in close game. Our two Pro teams are awful and Glasgow, shining becon for years, pumped 42 0.
Appreciate I come across as negative on this thread but I am really struggling to find any positives for the present or future of rugby in our country.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Edinburgh have a good coach and...on paper....a good squad but are under-performing big time at this moment.

Glasgow have an average coach, an average squad full of over the hill average players, and are rank pish at this moment. 

Both teams are especially weak in the 9-10 axis. Edinburgh have a good stand off and a piss poor scrum half. Glasgow have a decent scrum half (I accept other opinions) in Price, and a pish stand off. 

Edinburgh should have a pack that should compete at the highest level, but they haven't fired for a while. Glasgow have ageing, average forwards that are visibly sucking the life out of the Fagerson brothers.  

It stunned me today that Glasgow lined up with Horne, Grigg and Seymour in the backs, but it didn't stun me that combined they offered absolutely nothing. Nada. 

Scottish rugby needs....deserves.....much better than this. I think Edinburgh can still recover under Cockerill, but Glasgow have looked rudderless for a long time now. 

What the hell is going on ?

Edinburgh have a good coach and...on paper....a good squad but are under-performing big time at this moment.
Glasgow have an average coach, an average squad full of over the hill average players, and are rank pish at this moment. 
Both teams are especially weak in the 9-10 axis. Edinburgh have a good stand off and a piss poor scrum half. Glasgow have a decent scrum half (I accept other opinions) in Price, and a pish stand off. 
Edinburgh should have a pack that should compete at the highest level, but they haven't fired for a while. Glasgow have ageing, average forwards that are visibly sucking the life out of the Fagerson brothers.  
It stunned me today that Glasgow lined up with Horne, Grigg and Seymour in the backs, but it didn't stun me that combined they offered absolutely nothing. Nada. 
Scottish rugby needs....deserves.....much better than this. I think Edinburgh can still recover under Cockerill, but Glasgow have looked rudderless for a long time now. 
What the hell is going on ?
Hard to say exactly where it started to go wrong for Glasgow, but giving Toony the Scotland gig mainly because they were scared he might bugger off abroad wasn't the SRU's smartest decision ever imo. It was always going to be tough to replace guys like Hogg, Russell and the Grays, but some of the signings have been woefully substandard. Some of the foreign imports in particular have done nothing, their only positive contribution was being available in international windows.

I wasn't shocked by yesterday's scoreline. Glasgow have been getting rag dolled about the place all season and I never felt they would get close to Exeter's physicality. The biggest concern was how devoid of any attacking ideas Glasgow were. Even on the odd occasion they put some decent passes together, there didn't look to be any belief that they could actually score a try. The number of times they took the ball into contact and either got turned over or gave away a penalty was laughable.

I think Embra will turn it around, i think they overachieved last year, but they have solid spine to the team that should see them back to a solid upper mid table by the end of the season. The issue with them is that they placed too much emphasis on Mata to deliver a few big plays per game, and he has just not produced the same form he had at this time last season. If they can get him firing alongside Watson and Ritchie I think they will be fine. They have a solid scrum, van der Walt is a good stand off, and in Duhan they have someone that can score tries.

Glasgows issue's are all down to recruitment, and I appreaciate that we dont have the budget of the English, French and even the Irish, but it has been woeful. I thought Rennie was a downgrade on Toonie, but Wilson is 3 or 4 steps back, at least with Rennie we played a bit of exciting rugby even if it cost us tries at times. In terms of players we know that we are going to be made up of mostly bang average Scottish players, what has let us down is the imports, where over the last few years we've gone from gems like Nakarawa and Matawalu (i know they are still here but 5 years on they are no longer at their peak) and DTH, to Frisby, Thompson et al. If you are going to get imports I would rather we went for ex internationals that we going to add to the team and be guaranteed starters, than 3 or 4 players to sit on the bench or not even start.

Just going through the squad, Seuili, Pieretto, Lokotui, Matthews, Bean, Dolokotu, Ionne, Tagive, Fergusson ,Thompson, Gordon have all been signed over the last couple of years, I would rather swap all of them for 3 quality signings along with another 3 or 4 academy players to make up the numbers

Then you look at the scottish players, Allan, Nicol and Rae should have been good enough to be starting, but are behind Seilui and Pieretto, Fusaro has been passed it for sometime, and Wilson and Harley are on the way out - i still think they have something to offer but shouldn't be starters. In the backs there are a lot of good players, but we dont have the balance. We have 1 stand off who is injured long term, and the back ups are not up to it in Horne and Thompson. Johnson and Jones in the centre SHOULD be world class but has gone backwards with Grigg and McDowall solid back ups, 5 scrum halfs is overkill but what happens when you only have 2 pro teams, but again we still haven't replaced Hogg and Jackson at full back.

However there are bright spots for the future, at Glasgow you have Cummings and the Fagerson's that are still young, added into Bain, Dobie and MCDowall who will all be in the Scotland squad shortly, and at Embra have Chamberlain and Paterson that look good prospects which gives us nearly a whole set of backs. We do though have nearly a full squad for Scotland of guys in the 24-28 range that should be with us for a good few years so not in the position we have been in of an aging squad with no one coming through, we just need 2 or 3 additions every year.

RWC 23 draw today. Ludicrous to be making the draw so far out from the tourney, but here are the seedings. Scotland in pot 3 which at least means we avoid Argentina. Preferred options from pots 1 and 2 for me at the moment would be Wales and Japan.20201214_105402.jpg

Talking of the game changing if you go back to the 70s matches in YouTube it's almost a different sport - just lads throwing overhead passes and kicking it for no real reason.

I know it's yer old da saying everything was better in his day but everything was better in my day. 1988-95 was basically a golden age of rugby you would want to watch between the previous generations where it was like the Eton Wall game and the advent of professionalism which saw backs become 20 stone battering rams.

In the last 5 years I think the game has become more watchable again but technical infringements still dominate.