Rugby Union

kiwififer

stevens, vanipolo, tuiliga, hartley, gethin jenkins, connor murray, heaslip, parling and croft are all bad choices of varying badness.

australia own wales and that is essentially who they'll be up against. gatland is obviously banking on cuthbert, north, tuiliagi, phillips, farrell, and the welsh back row out muscling the aussies.

Still a good chance that players who are not in the original squad will take part in the Tests, injuries are almost inevitable on a tour like this. Ryan Grant very unlucky not to be picked and it must have been a fairly close call between Visser and Maitland, with the latter's southern hemisphere experience giving him the nod.

I also thought Richie Gray was out injured. I expected a minimum of 5 Scotland players to make the squad. Is this the lowest contingent of Scottish players in a Lions tour?

i'm sure there was only one during the woodward clusterfuck of 05.

i've been rooting against the lions since then. there is no chance i'll be supporting any team with mike phillips, jamie roberts and dylan hartley in it.

i'm sure there was only one during the woodward clusterfuck of 05.

i've been rooting against the lions since then. there is no chance i'll be supporting any team with mike phillips, jamie roberts and dylan hartley in it.

Googled it and was surprised to find that there were 3 in that squad, with Gordon Bulloch, Simon Taylor and Chris Cusiter selected. Jason White was called up as a replacement later on.

Ross Ford, Euan Murray, Nathan Hines and Mike Blair were picked in 2009.

Andy Nicol was on last night, am I imagining it or did he end up on the bench for the last test in Oz in 2001 because he was out there watching as a fan and they had run out of scrum halves?

Edited by peasy23

Googled it and was surprised to find that there were 3 in that squad, with Gordon Bulloch, Simon Taylor and Chris Cusiter selected. Jason White was called up as a replacement later on.

Ross Ford, Euan Murray, Nathan Hines and Mike Blair were picked in 2009.

Andy Nicol was on last night, am I imagining it or did he end up on the bench for the last test in Oz in 2001 because he was out there watching as a fan and they had run out of scrum halves?

Nicol was called up after Austin Healey got injured and was there on Holiday.

I am surprised that Hamilton did not make the squad ahead of Parling or Evans. Visser was unlucky not to make the squad but it was always going to be him or Maitland not both.

The refs are Chris Pollock(NZ), Craig Joubert(RSA) and Romain Poite(FRA) all in charge of one game each and touch judge for the rest.

Rugby World Cup venues announced...

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/mm/Document/Tournament/Mediazone/02/06/65/07/rwc-2015-match-schedule.pdf

Pleased to see Villa Park has a couple of matches although would've liked to host one of the Home Nations' games.

Scotland start life in Gloucester before moving to Leeds then playing their final two group games at Newcastle, which should attract a good Caledonian following. If they make the knock-out stages, they'll finish the tournament in London.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Scotland 7s relegated from 7s World Series... out-performed by USA at Scotstoun yesterday, leaving them outside Top 12 in rankings.

Have to finish top 3 in qualifier at Twickenham next weekend to participate in 2013-14.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Are any P&Bers coming across for the Lions Tour?

I've got flights booked for the test match in Sydney, not sure I will actually make it over though.

I see that the SRU have appointed their new head coach, but are waiting to reveal who he is, for some reason. The brevity of the time taken to appoint him (after announcing an international search just the other week) suggests he's someone from these shores. The fact that they are waiting suggests he might already be in a job and they're waiting for the end of the season?

Anyone got any ideas? I'm going to guess Gregor Townsend. To which the universal response will be "gee, great, more of the same".

Ewen McKenzie (Quensland reds) and Wayne Smith (former All Black coach) are the two names I have seen mentioned in the papers. Don't think they would go for Tounsend as that would leave both Pro Clubs looking for head coaches/managers

Ewen McKenzie (Quensland reds) and Wayne Smith (former All Black coach) are the two names I have seen mentioned in the papers. Don't think they would go for Tounsend as that would leave both Pro Clubs looking for head coaches/managers

I can't see it being McKenzie, he's being groomed for the next Wallabies coach.

Smith is an interesting one, he's indicated his desire to go to Europe more than once.

Smith is an interesting one, he's indicated his desire to go to Europe more than once.

They are saying that it is a current Super Rugby manager. With Mckenzie he might use us as a stepping stone until after the World Cup before taking over from Deans(if his contract runs till then). An other name mention is Blackadder but not sure if that is just the Edinburgh fans wanting him. If we get a Kiwi then all 3 Celtic side will have Kiwi in charge

They are saying that it is a current Super Rugby manager. With Mckenzie he might use us as a stepping stone until after the World Cup before taking over from Deans(if his contract runs till then). An other name mention is Blackadder but not sure if that is just the Edinburgh fans wanting him. If we get a Kiwi then all 3 Celtic side will have Kiwi in charge

A bad Lions series and Deans will be out on his arse...

We are running through the possibilities at this end, can't come up with too many options.

Won't be Kirwan at the Blues, Rennie at the Chiefs, Hammett at the Hurricanes or Joseph at the Highlanders leaving Blackadder as the only real Kiwi option.

In Australia it could only be McKenzie or White, McKenzie has denied the link and White must fancy his chances of winning Super Rugby this year.

Don't know much about the Saffa teams.

Squad for the quadrangular tournament in South Africa

Backs: Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby), Peter Horne, Ruaridh Jackson (both Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby), Sean Lamont, Peter Murchie, Henry Pyrgos (all Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Taylor (Saracens), Greig Tonks and Tim Visser (both Edinburgh Rugby)

Forwards: John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), Kelly Brown (Saracens) (captain), Geoff Cross, David Denton (both Edinburgh Rugby), Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks), Ross Ford, Grant Gilchrist (both Edinburgh Rugby), Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester Rugby), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), Steven Lawrie (Edinburgh Rugby), Moray Low, Pat MacArthur (both Glasgow Warriors), Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors), Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan), Tim Swinson and Ryan Wilson (both Glasgow Warriors).

Hamilton will also play for the Baa- Baas v England and the Lions.

Edited by ajwffc

Heartbreaking defeat for Glasgow Warriors in Dublin last night, going down 17-15 with Stuart Hogg missing a conversion that would have tied it after Mark Bennett scored a cracking try. Leinster were terrific in defence with Rob Kearney having one of the best try saving tackles you'll ever see, managing to get under Ryan Grant as he crashed over the try line. Ulster v Leinster next week in the final, the Lions management must be watching these games through their fingers. Last night was a terrific match and very physical, Brian O'Donnell went off injured and a few others took big whacks with Heaslip getting a belter of a cut above his eye. Some daft penalties cost Glasgow though with them outscoring the home side by 2 tries to 1.