Rugby Union

kiwififer

I don't think the problem is the ball once it's on the wing, it's getting it out there. For the one time in ten that we don't opt for Denton throwing himself against brick walls, the ball out of the ruck/scrum seems to go about 20 yards backwards and you're lucky to get the ball back to the gainline by the time contact is made. I'm assuming it's how the 10s are being told to play but didn't seem particularly fruitful.

This. Our options at centre are utterly depressing. De Luca has been pish for years now.

This. Our options at centre are utterly depressing. De Luca has been pish for years now.

De Luca yes, but i think Matt Scott is one of the best players in the squad, and it showed against SA and Aus when he was out injured.

Thought Weir as well was much better than Jackson. On Denton he seems to have gone backwards since he first broke through, and even then he wasn't getting a game at 8 for Edinburgh as Tellai the big Fijian was much better.

Horrible injury for Sean Lamont tonight, looked like a badly broken ankle. It got caught at a horrible angle as his studs were in the turf and the tackler's leg pressing down on the back of Lamont's leg.

They were cutting the sock off to get it, be a miracle if it wasn't a number of months out.

Imagine going for a pint with Wayne Barnes. "Alright Wayne, your round, I'll have a pint of lager".

"No you won't, I've seen the prices and you'll have a bottle of Fosters. Now go away."

Wales unable to get over the line again against one of the big 3. Would have been a bit rough on the Aussies if they had,

cut.nose.face.spite

I can see a U turn coming in a few months once the players complain they dont have any big games, and once the clubs realise how much money they are going to lose.

Everyone else is going to play in it after the French U turn, although it may be down to the fact they signed a contract to sell tv rights to BT Vision for a competition that didn;t exist, and wasn't likely to exist either.

Haven't the English made noises about playing Southern Hemisphere clubs in some sort of cup competition if they couldn't get their own European cup up and running?

Sky start showing the Pro 12 from next season, increased exposure will be great for the clubs involved and bring additional revenue. The deal with Rabo to sponsor the league expires at the end of the current season so I'd expect a bigger name as league sponsor.

• 2 weeks later...

Ridiculous!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25431795

Northampton have been fined £60,000 by a Premiership Rugby disciplinary panel for letting wing George North play for Wales against Australia on 30 November.

The match, which Wales lost 30-26, took place outside of the International Rugby Board's autumn window.

Premiership clubs have agreed that only players representing England can be released for matches outside of that international window.

Saints admitted the breach and will not appeal against the sanction.

• 2 weeks later...

Second Glasgow home game in a row postponed for waterlogged pitch, so a fixture backlog and it was the second of the head to heads v Edinburgh so full house too. Was really late call v Edinburgh too, 50mins before kickoff I think.

Same happened for the Treviso game, didn't have the pitch inspection until 6pm for a 7pm kick off. I was just outside Scotstoun when that one was called off.

No revised date for the treviso game as yet but i think they will try and rearrange the 1872 game for over the weekend.

Second Glasgow home game in a row postponed for waterlogged pitch, so a fixture backlog and it was the second of the head to heads v Edinburgh so full house too. Was really late call v Edinburgh too, 50mins before kickoff I think.

Seen a lot of angry posts on their Facebook page and also on Twitter, it was madness IMO to arrange the game for a day that there was no public transport. Pissed off a lot of their own fans with both the scheduling and the late call off.

They get the best crowds on Boxing Day + New Year's Day so I guess that justifies the scheduling.

I see Townsend is calling for them to lay a 3G pitch although I don't see how that can work given it's also an athletics venue with javelins, hammers, shots and so on getting thrown onto the pitch.

Ultimately it surprises me that a top facility like Scotstoun with professional groundstaff ends-up unplayable for rugby 2 home games in a row, yet most football pitches in the central belt make it.

It must take more standing/saturated water to put rugby off than football?

Edited by HibeeJibee

Think it's maybe just where the stadium is located, but not sure. So a video if the pitch inspection for the Treviso game and there were pretty big puddles on the pitch and there was no bounce at all from the ball. I think the Treviso game was called off as there was a chance of drowning if someone was caught at the bottom of a ruck given the size of the puddles.

Usually rugby games will go ahead in worse conditions than football so must be something to do with the stadium being fairly open might just make things worse compared to football grounds that are usually quite contained?

They get the best crowds on Boxing Day + New Year's Day so I guess that justifies the scheduling.

I see Townsend is calling for them to lay a 3G pitch although I don't see how that can work given it's also an athletics venue with javelins, hammers, shots and so on getting thrown onto the pitch.

Ultimately it surprises me that a top facility like Scotstoun with professional groundstaff ends-up unplayable for rugby 2 home games in a row, yet most football pitches in the central belt make it.

It must take more standing/saturated water to put rugby off than football?

Personally I think a kick off on New Year's Day at 6.05pm was a joke- more for the kick off time. I suspect it is Alba dictating that one? It is a pain all round although I still go.

3G wouldn't work at Scotstoun like you say due to athletics. From the footage the pitch did have substantially more standing water on it than St Mirren's when it was postponed.

I would suspect the problem is two-fold. Scotstoun's pitch probably was designed for field athletics and perhaps this does not have the same standard of drainage as a pitch designed for regular team sports. The pitch is actually too short- they have artificial turf in the corners of the in goal area which overlap the first lanes of the track.

The other issue is that rugby scrums in previous wet games could cause damage and doesn't let the pitch drain as freely?

Purely speculative, but it is disappointing. I think Scotstoun isn't a great venue for Glasgow (too small and the running track is a pain) but it seems others disagree so there you go!

Same happened for the Treviso game, didn't have the pitch inspection until 6pm for a 7pm kick off. I was just outside Scotstoun when that one was called off.

No revised date for the treviso game as yet but i think they will try and rearrange the 1872 game for over the weekend.

Ahh I had my jacket on and was ready to leave for the Treviso game when I got a text- I thought it was earlier than the Edinburgh game cause I was driving (in terrible conditions) and I stopped as my phone went to say it was off. I was lucky both times I wasn't far from the house although my mates where close both times.

Edited by flyingscot

True the running track isn't ideal but overall I like scotstoun. I much prefer it over playing at firhill.

The capacity is only really an issue for Edinburgh games, think the average crowd this season is about 4500. My only gripe with Scotstoun is the stand i sit in (North stand) should have been built like for like with the main stand. I think there's enough space behind, and in front without getting too close to the track for it to be bigger than it currently is.

Is it a 10 year lease they have on the stadium?

Edited by Northsea80

True the running track isn't ideal but overall I like scotstoun. I much prefer it over playing at firhill.

The capacity is only really an issue for Edinburgh games, think the average crowd this season is about 4500. My only gripe with Scotstoun is the stand i sit in (North stand) should have been built like for like with the main stand. I think there's enough space behind, and in front without getting too close to the track for it to be bigger than it currently is.

Is it a 10 year lease they have on the stadium?

I'm neutral to Scotstoun. It has advantages over Firhill but some disadvantages too. I sit in the main stand back row and I'd hate to be near the front. I've never sat in the North Stand but I always thought the view would be poor because it is set back from the pitch and so small (not to block light into houses behind the railway?).

The capacity is 4,700 (excluding standing) which is too small given the amount of times we've needed temporary stands. I find you need to park miles away for Scotstoun as the whole area around it is permit holders too.