Rugby Union

kiwififer

Cam Redpath released back to Bath and on the bench tonight. Hopefully he gets through unscathed and is back up the road tomorrow.

Toony had suggested in an interview last week that they basically had to release the English based players if their clubs wanted them this week, and that seems to be the case here. The Welsh have had to release a few as well.

Scotland team to play England at Twickenham Stadium, 2021 Guinness Six Nations
Saturday 6 February (kick-off 4.45pm) – live on ITV Sport

15. Stuart Hogg CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) – 80 caps

14. Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 50 caps
13. Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 23 caps
12. Cameron Redpath (Bath Rugby) – 0 caps
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh) – 5 caps

10. Finn Russell (Racing 92) – 51 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 37 caps

1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) – 11 caps
2. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 34 caps
4. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps
5. Jonny Gray (Exeter Chiefs) – 61 caps
6. Jamie Ritchie VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 23 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh – 36 caps
8. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps

Substitutes:
16. David Cherry (Edinburgh) – 0 caps
17. Oli Kebble (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps
18. WP Nel (Edinburgh) – 40 caps
19. Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 65 caps
20. Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons) – 2 caps
21. Scott Steele (Harlequins) – 1 cap
22. Jaco van der Walt (Edinburgh) – 1 cap
23. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 26 caps

I reckon that is probably as strong a team as we can put out with the current injuries. Obviously worried about Turner / Cherry at hooker but otherwise we have a chance with that team.

Hopefully Graham can make an impact of the bench, and looking at the 2 sets of props I think we could put them under pressure in the scrums in the 2nd half

2 hours ago, Chuck Blazer said:

I know that Darcy is not on top form,  but has Maitland played any rugby since the Autumn internationals? 

With England being a kicking team these days Maitland will be an important player for high balls and especially covering Hogg when he goes into the attack. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 04/02/2021 at 16:59, Detournement said:

With England being a kicking team these days Maitland will be an important player for high balls and especially covering Hogg when he goes into the attack. 

Yeap. 

2 years ago, Darcy Graham burst on to the scene and took everyone by surprise. It didn't take international teams long to work him out though in defence, and he's been a liability there for quite a while. 

Ireland in particular just spend 80 minutes kicking high balls towards him. 

I'm more than happy to have Maitland back in, I'm a big fan.

Graham's 23 so barring a Mark Bennett style injury he hopefully has 10 years and 3 world cups of international rugby to go so plenty of time to develop and even out his game. Just have to look at someone like May on the other side today for someone who's done just that. For now Maitland should be starting any big games.

Really mixed feelings today. The changes to the England pack I would imagine make them less mobile, but I've a feeling we'll still watch Scotland carriers running right into them instead of trying to move them around and find holes. They still have us in a power game and player by player there's not many Scottish players you'd pick. But it's an excellently balanced backline we have, we're more resilient, excited to see redpath, and maybe we can spring something here.

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Watching the French and Italian anthems just now with no fans behind them has me thinking which of our players will provide the obligatory " 'gainst who??!" during Flower of Scotland.

And then the couple of fannies shouting "wankers".

PS: Dubbed on crowd noise is bonkers. 

19 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Italy are dreadful, really is time to look at promotion/relegation

I don't think they're that bad, it's more that some of the 6N countries - like us - have upped their game lately and they've been left behind. They're still comfortably ahead of Georgia, and well ahead of everyone else.

The smart move for the other 5 nations would be to invest in Italian rugby. If they had some successes then the TV audiences for the national and pro teams would rapidly grow and they'd bring more money to the table, especially for the Pro14.

It's weird that we go hooring ourselves to North America when there's a country of 60 million people just waiting for a reason to get seriously into rugby.

20 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I don't think they're that bad, it's more that some of the 6N countries - like us - have upped their game lately and they've been left behind. They're still comfortably ahead of Georgia, and well ahead of everyone else.

The smart move for the other 5 nations would be to invest in Italian rugby. If they had some successes then the TV audiences for the national and pro teams would rapidly grow and they'd bring more money to the table, especially for the Pro14.

It's weird that we go hooring ourselves to North America when there's a country of 60 million people just waiting for a reason to get seriously into rugby.

You have to ask though how would, not just Georgia, but Romania, Russia, Spain, Portugal and Germany have progressed after 20 years of 6 Nations participation and 2 pro clubs. The 6 nations need to start investing in the 2nd tier to grow the game all over Europe rather than just the same markets - there needs to be movement between the 2 to grow the game so it doesn't go stagnant

Graham's 23 so barring a Mark Bennett style injury he hopefully has 10 years and 3 world cups of international rugby to go so plenty of time to develop and even out his game. Just have to look at someone like May on the other side today for someone who's done just that. For now Maitland should be starting any big games.
Really mixed feelings today. The changes to the England pack I would imagine make them less mobile, but I've a feeling we'll still watch Scotland carriers running right into them instead of trying to move them around and find holes. They still have us in a power game and player by player there's not many Scottish players you'd pick. But it's an excellently balanced backline we have, we're more resilient, excited to see redpath, and maybe we can spring something here.

We need to avoid a game of attrition and move the ball about quickly.

And stop them slowing the ball up at the breakdown.