Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Has Hughes been cited, given he had Wilson pinned to the ground by the throat before Wilson reacted?

Not seeing any sources yet that are claiming Hughes has also been cited. Bit of a joke if he's not, as you've already mentioned him throttling Wilson before he reacted. 

I see Eddie Jones has said they have 3 main areas to address after Saturday's defeat.

1. Why they lacked intensity.
2. Why they got hammered at the breakdown.
3. Why their defensive spacing allowed so many breaks.

Not sure to the answer about 3, but would suggest that:

1. They thought all they had to do was turn up and Scotland would roll over.

2. They still haven't figured out that you don't need 3 lumbering 6ft 8in back rowers to be successful, and having foragers like Barclay and Watson can reap big rewards in terms of turnovers and winning penalties.

Playing a gigantic but immobile back row worked devastatingly well against Scotland at Twickenham last March

England fans should be able to forgive Eddie Jones for thinking it would work again

Scotland fans should be grateful to Townsend for making sure it didn’t

Ryan Wilson has been cited for his scuffle with Nathan Hughes. Thought at the time Wilson was a little lucky to escape punishment since his fingers went pretty close to Hughes' eye. 

Absolute joke, what's he supposed to do? Just let the 18 stone guy just continue to throttle him

11 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

Watched the 2006 England game yesterday and couldn't believe how bad a team we had compared to now. Huw Jones emoji7.png is quite the step up from Marcus Di RolloScreenshot_20180226-090111.pngScreenshot_20180226-090122.png

Sean Lamont my favourite Scotland player of all time is quickly looking like second favourite to Huw Jones. That team though. Great players were few and far between. Now we almost have a complete squad of quality players.

Scott MacLeod had a magnificent fight with Chris Fusaro at the end of an 1872 Cup game at Firhill. He also failed a drugs test after the SRU forgot to lodge his TUE for asthma medication (genuine, not Team Sky-style). He was decent if uninspiring. Think he's now the coach at Hawick.
I was actually a fan of Andy Henderson, he just never had the right type of player beside him. A Bennett/Jones/Grigg would have been the ideal partner, because he created a lot of space. Sadly we had Di Rollo and De Luca, who both had hands like feet.
Not many in that team would have got in today - Taylor would, and Mike Blair and Jason White maybe in the 23.
After a quick search it was not his only failed test. He failed one due to a large amount of testosterone in his system after a night of heavy drinking

6 hours ago, come on shire said:

He's a solid player who just so happens to be playing for a poor team (though they did record a win at home to Worcester Warriors at the weekend). 

Imo, he sold his soul a bit for the bigger bucks.  He was getting his game in a winning Glasgow Warriors side then went to the richer English league and London Irish.  I thought that he'd just be going there to get beat every week and no doubt end up a bit scunnered. 

I guess I was half-right as he's spent a big spell on the sidelines injured.  Probably why he's lost his spot.  Then now when he's fit he's in the Scotland squad.

Did Reid really sell his soul? I was under the impression he was moved on more than anything else.  It's one of the problems with only having two pro teams.  You need to shift players to let youngsters come in, especially the solid but unspectacular types like Reid.

Edited by GAD

15 minutes ago, GAD said:

Did Reid really sell his soul? I was under the impression he was moved on more than anything else.  It's one of the problems with only having two pro teams.  You need to shift players to let youngsters come in, especially the solid but unspectacular types like Reid.

It's a shame if he was. Unspectacular but would go through a brick wall for the cause. However it's nice to see Jamie Bhatti finding his feet with Alex Allan signing a new contract to offer competition at loosehead prop.

Some great comments about how the quality and depth at centre has come on leaps and bounds. It was de Luca I think that dropped the ball at Pittodrie to end the game and give Tonga their famous win. Who remembers that? Horrid day...

Back row forward option has also improved. Barclay, Wilson and Watson are quality players. Denton is like a new player altogether whilst Strauss (and possibly Harley) bring a lot of physicality.  I remember when it was the 'different' combination of Strockosch, Brown and Beattie...

Some great comments about how the quality and depth at centre has come on leaps and bounds. It was de Luca I think that dropped the ball at Pittodrie to end the game and give Tonga their famous win. Who remembers that? Horrid day...
Back row forward option has also improved. Barclay, Wilson and Watson are quality players. Denton is like a new player altogether whilst Strauss (and possibly Harley) bring a lot of physicality.  I remember when it was the 'different' combination of Strockosch, Brown and Beattie...
Aye.. and we had the killer b's; not sure they were actually that great as a unit

12 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
12 hours ago, come on shire said:

Aye.. and we had the killer b's; not sure they were actually that great as a unit

Kelly Brown was the captain when beating Italy and not getting the wooden spoon was a success.  The back row I just mentioned never had the ability to outmuscle teams at the breakdown quickly enough to get good ball to the backs and create chances.  We'd pound the opposite try line but get nothing.

However, they were great servants to the game and Brown was a good PR man for our game but that's about it if I'm being honest.  With the back row options we have now, the Andy Robinson/early Vern Cotter-era back row wouldn't get a sniff imho...

i remember Barclay, Brown and Beattie getting thrown in the deep end against New Zealand in the World Cup, but came away with a lot of credit for their performance. Barclay and Brown were / are both great servants, I liked Beattie, but much like Wilson now is maybe a bit small as an international 8, and defineatly not the big ball carrier like Denton or Strauss, although may be a better fit to the team now than he was at his prime, as he had lovely hands, some great offloads from him. 

Di Luca was good for Edinburgh and expectations were high on account of him not being Di Rollo / Morrison / Webster etc but as I recall he dropped his first pass in international rugby and could never make the step which was a shame.

I liked Ally Hogg. No idea why he was jettisoned. Strockosch, for all the talk of him being hard as f*ck, never seemed to really do much. White was quality and would definitely be in the current squad.

Remember when the Evans brothers were tearing it up against Toulouse and Hadden refused to pick them.

Also interesting to note Gavin Kerr and Bruce Douglas were capped a combined 93 times. Dark days.

9 hours ago, ajwffc said:

rthere was also a scuffle in the tunnel involving Owen Farrel which according to the RFU was not his fault and we provoked him 

What a non-story.  He's trying to get past, the guy in front of him thinks he's shoving him, and shoves him back.  Complete non incident.