Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Hah! Ha! I like Clyde and it's in reach but that match has 0-0 or low scoring written all over it.

I think there'll be goals at Stenny but it's a long time out the house.

Talbot is a great day out and like Bankies but it could be very one sided.

Hah! Ha! I like Clyde and it's in reach but that match has 0-0 or low scoring written all over it.

I think there'll be goals at Stenny but it's a long time out the house.

Talbot is a great day out and like Bankies but it could be very one sided.

I don't know where you're based but I assume somewhere in the Glasgow area, I would suggest the Stenny - AR match. Will be the most exciting of the three you've short-listed.

*Que the 0-0 draw at Ochillview*

Managed a Yorkshire double header today ... Bradford Park Avenue 1 Gainsborough Trinity 4 at 3pm followed by Halifax Town 1 Macclesfield Town 1 at 5.30pm. Halifax were relegated to the Conference North ... hit the post in injury time which would have kept them up.

Back from Newcastle v Crystal Palace yesterday. Palace played reasonably well and missed a penalty, that no one in the stadium other than the ref knew what it was for. Townsend scored a peach from a 25 yard free kick for Newcastle. Full house and a great result for the Toon. Just got the feeling Palace had one eye on the cup final.

Edited by yogisbairns

Brighton 5 Fulham 0.

The stadium looks quite unwhelming from the outside, but it's not a bad place at all. I was 2nd row from the back in the West Stand, in 'the heavens' as it were. Cracking view. Pain in the arse to get there, mind; queueing at Brighton station for an hour for the 8min journey to Falmer. Wasn't so bad coming back.

The game itself was dull until the penalty - clearcut enough - on 28 mins, the home side offering nothing to that point. Fulham fell apart after the 3rd, and it could've been anything from then on.

I was at the game as well with my 5 mates. Thought Fulham started off quite well and were the better team up until Brighton got the penalty. Fulham then fell apart. Transport by train down to the game was a joke and we ended up getting in 4 minutes before Ko. My 2nd time at the stadium, and other the

An the transport, it's a tidy stadium, ready for the premier league.

Aarau v Lausanne last night. Home side lost 2-1 to the team already confirmed as league winners. Ended a 15 game unbeaten run in the league, and played entirely like the end of season meaningless match it was. Was strange watching Walter Pandiani blowing out his arse for 80 odd minutes looking nothing like the player he threatened to be at Sevilla. Still, 40 years old and earning a wage playing football and living in Switzerland, isn't too bad a life.

Strange season for Aarau. Horrendous start, bottom at the halfway point, changed their manager then went on the aforementioned run which until a late Lausanne equaliser a few weeks back looked like it could take them into a promotion fight. Didn't quite happen.

Will be an interesting league next season, with no one being relegated due to Biel Bienne going bankrupt and being kicked out the league a couple of weeks back, and FC Wil being taken over by a Turkish business group and spending relatively big money on the side. Very little between every side in the division this year and I can't see that changing much next year if the standard of player Wil have spent their money on is anything to go by. From an Aarau point of view I'm hoping Lugano or Vaduz come down from the top league, because if FC Zürich come down they will without question outspend everyone including Wil to make sure they go straight back up.

A few years back I went to see FC Vaduz vs FC Thun. They also met in this season's Europa League. Have two teams ever played against each other both domestically and internationally before?

You mean like Atletico & Barcelona, or Valencia & Bilbao, or Bilbao & Sevilla, or Man Utd & Liverpool?...

Once or twice! I know what you mean though, the circumstances with Vaduz are unusual.

You mean like Atletico & Barcelona, or Valencia & Bilbao, or Bilbao & Sevilla, or Man Utd & Liverpool?...

Once or twice! I know what you mean though, the circumstances with Vaduz are unusual.

A few years back I went to see FC Vaduz vs FC Thun. They also met in this season's Europa League. Have two teams ever played against each other both domestically and internationally before?

I asked this at the time. Two clubs from the same league representing different countries. I'm almost certain there is an answer on the Europa League thread.

ETA: Here is HibeeJibee's answer, which I assume to be correct because I can't be bother fact checking, and he usually is correct on these things.

Only case of an English-Welsh CWC tie seems to be Wrexham v Manchester United in 1995-96, but Wrexham were in tier 4 at the time so 3 levels below Manchester United.

Kaislerslautern and Hansa Rostock would have played each other in the European Cup R2 in 1991-92 - but Hansa lost to Barcelona in R1. From 1967 to 1974 the Cypriot top division effectively formed a second tier in the Greek pyramid but no clubs met (Olympiakos-Omonia did in 1965)
Edited by Ross.

Took in Atletico Madrid v Rayo Vallecano at the Vicente Calderon last Saturday on my stag do.  Atleti won 1-0, wasn't a great game in truth, they played their 2nd team as they had Bayern in the CL the following midweek.  They brought Griezmann (who scored) and Torres on in the 2nd half which livened things up a bit.  Decent atmosphere and the Calderon is an excellent stadium, if not a bit aged.  Build up was superb, loads of pubs on the main route down with a relaxed atmosphere.

Liverpool & Notts Forest, the season Forest won the cup.