Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

The second game on the 3rd February was Porto V Rio Ave 0-0. Crowd was 39330, at the Estadio do Dragao. An absolutely stunning stadium for a few build. Ticket was the most expensive of the week at €21. There again wasn't a programme but they do produce a monthly magazine which previews up and coming games, which I bought. (not quite like the Kilmarnock issue though)

Despite being 0-0 this was actually a decent watch. Mainly a Porto attack against a very disciplined Rio Ave defence. 

After 2 minutes though Porto were awarded a penalty, but a quick VAR Check overturned it for Evanilson diving. He then received a yellow card. Porto then had the ball in the net on 10 minutes. But a more lengthy VAR check then disallowed it for offside. Porto kept playing their short sharp passing game and creating chances, but some fantastic defending kept them out. On 39 minutes a brilliant quick move resulted in Porto having the ball in the net again, only for VAR again to interven and give another offside. The crowd were getting restless, but to the players credit it didn't seem to bother them as they just kept playing. 

Rio Ave did have an opportunity or two and almost scored in-between the two disallowed goals when they broke forward and a shot went just wide of the post. 

The second half was more of the same. Attack against defence. Bit Rio Ave held out for a point. They did finish with 10 men though when Boatang relieved a second yellow card for a foul. 

20240203_202508.jpg

20240203_202840.jpg

My last full day in Portugal was on Sunday the 4th February and another double header was planned. First up was supposed to be 2nd tier SC Leixoes V CD Nacional at 11am. Tickets were free (Normally €5 or €10) as Leixoes had been struggling and crowds were down, they planned a family day with free entry to all. Ibarrived at Matosinhos (20 minutes by metro from Central porto) about an hour before kick off, every thing was going well. Fanzone plenty of early arrivals and a nice atmosphere building. 

Now I'm not 100% sure of the back story, but the previous evening there was trouble at the Famalicao v Sporting CP game when the police refused to Police the game out of safety, not sure what came first though. The trouble or the police refusing to police the game then the fans kicking off! I'd stoken to a couple of Portuguese fans who thought the latter! Anyway. 25 minutes before kick off with the police sitting in a van near the turnstiles a club official came out and said the game was off because of the police. A second game at Feirense was always called of late for the same reason. 

I felt for both clubs, Leixoes because they had made such and effort. But also for Nacional who are from Madeira and its quite a lot of money for a club to travel that far for no game (as well as any fan, I seen two on the metro, whether they travelled from Madeira though I don't know)

So with that part of the plan scuppered. I headed back into the centre and got my train to Braga for my last game of the trip. Braga is about 1 hour north of Porto by train. It gave me a bit more time to sightsee at least. 

The match was SC Braga V Moreirense in the Primeira liga. Ticket was €15. No programme. The Municipal de Braga is again a cracking ground as you probably all know. Two huge double tiered 15000 all seater stands, and nothing behind both goals other than a hill and a huge dug out quarry. Definitely architecturally and visually stunning. Which is more than what can be said of the match. 

Braga took an early lead through Ruiz then both teams tidily just passed the ball around in possession between themselves for the rest of the game. The match was just very defensive with little in the way of goalmouth action. The biggest cheer of the night was for a Moreirense player being subbed on. Castro who had just left Braga after a successful 4 year stint there. Getting to the ground was easy enough. Its just a mile north down a steep winding. With the walk back up the very steep hill! 

A fantastic trip. 9 games for a total of €96 in tickets. Great value, superb football and some pretty interesting stadiums, mostly. 

20240204_220541.jpg

20240204_100731.jpg

04/02/24

Benferri CF v CD Polop

Campo de fútbol municipal 'Luis Rocamora', Benferri (first person to check-in at this ground on Futbology!)

Regional Preferente Valenciana Grupo IV (7th tier in Spain)

Rough head count: ~200 (+ 2 dogs)

Admission: €5

Empanadilla + can of beer (4.8%): €2.70

I was impressed with the standard of play from both teams and the behaviour of both players and fans. Both sides played attacking football throughout the match and showed respect to each other and the officials. After a foul, the players would shake hands and get on with play. When players queried a decision with the referee, they listened to and accepted his response without argument. There was no abuse directed at the officials, even when Villa was surprisingly (as it was a very clean match) sent off for a 2nd yellow late in the game. 

Benferri were favourites in this match of 2nd v 14th. Polop were just in the relegation zone (16 team league) and Benferri had a 14 match unbeaten streak. However, it just wasn't their day. Benferri looked the better side overall, were quick on the break, and had the most scoring opportunities. Polop defended solidly and clearly had an experienced goalie who was constantly shouting instructions at his teammates. Both sides were awarded a penalty - Polop scored their one, the aforementioned Villa had his shot saved by the excellent Polop goalie. 

FT: Benferri 2 Polop 4

Lovely location, warm sunshine, and plenty of goals. Also, a novelty to be able to stand at the pitchside with a can of beer! Would definitely return and would love to watch a derby match against CD Murada who are currently top of the league. 

20240210_071010.jpg

20240210_071036.jpg

20240210_071115.jpg

20240210_071148.jpg

20240210_071221.jpg

20240210_071314.jpg

20240210_071341.jpg

20240210_071404.jpg

20240210_081938.jpg

Edited by forfarton
Added photo showing stand

Cowdenbeath 1-2 East Kilbride 

We find ourselves permanently a bit further East. A bit short of time today so jumped to the Kingdom Copacabana for Cowden against EK in the Lowland League. 

To address the elephant in the room, yes Central Park is a midden. Horrific place to watch football and I am sure there is not one person that misses it from the SPFL. We decided to stand round on the terracing today in the hopes of seeing at least some of the game without poles in the way. 

Cowden start brighter and take the lead deservedly early on. EK equalise via and stramash and in the melee Cowden have a player sent off. I am short of details because I was half way through a three mile hike to the loo at the time. Was nice to see Tiwi Daramola again, scorer of 70 odd goals for Bo'ness Athletic last year. He scored he winner half way through the 2nd half as EK carry on their march to the title and promotion. 

20240210_153612.jpg

20240210_163530.jpg

Spartans 1-2 Elgin SPFL League 2. With a combination of work then weather taking care of my original choices for today was left with this one as plan D today. First half was pretty uneventful with Spartans having more of the ball but creating very little. 2nd half both teams played with a bit more urgency and game was end to end. Elgins 1st was a lovely  strike. Their winner scored with almost the last kick of the ball probably gives them enough of a cushion over Clyde that they are probably safe from the play off. 

IMG_9480.jpeg

Hellenic : Stonehouse Town (near Stroud) v Chipping Sudbury (Bristol) 1-1 att 72. £5 decent game, things got niggly 2nd half as the game wore on. The Sod's down to ten men after off the ball incident around 70 mins, but both had chances to win the game. Things almost kicked off after sending off, due to having no segregation from pitch to changing rooms - with a seething mob baying for blood ha ha.20240210_144240.thumb.jpg.02d711cbb8d9959c5abedc877e2cfb53.jpg20240210_144332.thumb.jpg.bf1756d462fa627b01318b2a4e871d6a.jpg20240210_1804242.thumb.jpg.48845cd70e34a46613c957ab2e0929b1.jpg

3 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Hellenic : Stonehouse Town (near Stroud) v Chipping Sudbury (Bristol) 1-1 att 72. £5 decent game, things got niggly 2nd half as the game wore on. The Sod's down to ten men after off the ball incident around 70 mins, but both had chances to win the game. Things almost kicked off after sending off, due to having no segregation from pitch to changing rooms - with a seething mob baying for blood ha ha.20240210_144240.thumb.jpg.02d711cbb8d9959c5abedc877e2cfb53.jpg20240210_144332.thumb.jpg.bf1756d462fa627b01318b2a4e871d6a.jpg20240210_1804242.thumb.jpg.48845cd70e34a46613c957ab2e0929b1.jpg

Gotta love the quirks of these grounds away down the pyramid.

image.thumb.png.7f8c1833b4a850c1a7bd008fc1268492.png

IMG_20240210_145232136.thumb.jpg.78f44d7e027fe35b47036ba994911043.jpg

The Road to Hampden continued with a trip to the Granite City. I spent 4 years in Aberdeen studying alcohol with a bit of history on the side so I am fairly familiar with the place 

Last time I was here the Dons stuffed Edinburgh City. Bonnyrigg weren't stuffed and might have nicked a goal but it was fairly easy in the end for the Dandies. You do wonder what would happen if Miovski got injured- when he was taken off a bit of spark went out of the home side 

18 hours ago, forfarton said:

04/02/24

Benferri CF v CD Polop

Campo de fútbol municipal 'Luis Rocamora', Benferri (first person to check-in at this ground on Futbology!)

Regional Preferente Valenciana Grupo IV (7th tier in Spain)

Rough head count: ~200 (+ 2 dogs)

Admission: €5

Empanadilla + can of beer (4.8%): €2.70

I was impressed with the standard of play from both teams and the behaviour of both players and fans. Both sides played attacking football throughout the match and showed respect to each other and the officials. After a foul, the players would shake hands and get on with play. When players queried a decision with the referee, they listened to and accepted his response without argument. There was no abuse directed at the officials, even when Villa was surprisingly (as it was a very clean match) sent off for a 2nd yellow late in the game. 

Benferri were favourites in this match of 2nd v 14th. Polop were just in the relegation zone (16 team league) and Benferri had a 14 match unbeaten streak. However, it just wasn't their day. Benferri looked the better side overall, were quick on the break, and had the most scoring opportunities. Polop defended solidly and clearly had an experienced goalie who was constantly shouting instructions at his teammates. Both sides were awarded a penalty - Polop scored their one, the aforementioned Villa had his shot saved by the excellent Polop goalie. 

FT: Benferri 2 Polop 4

Lovely location, warm sunshine, and plenty of goals. Also, a novelty to be able to stand at the pitchside with a can of beer! Would definitely return and would love to watch a derby match against CD Murada who are currently top of the league.

20240210_071115.jpg

20240210_071221.jpg

20240210_071314.jpg

20240210_071404.jpg

20240210_081938.jpg

Did they arrange the Saltire in the sky just for your visit ? 😎

No games this weekend. I’m overseas (Lewis), and on the sabbath there is sod all else to do here other than come and swoon at this utterly magnificent wee stadium. What's the point? Point FC!

Two stands with 150 shiny seats yet to be buffeted by the Minch gales. Hard standing being laid around three sides.

Pop a set of floodlights up, post a licence to them from SFA towers, and stick them into the 2024/25 Scottish Cup please.

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0027.jpeg

IMG_0028.jpeg

On our travels around the beaches of the top end of Lewis, we happened upon another ground at Ness FC. So we popped in, of course we did!

Seen this one loads of times, it has been on here often enough, but nice to finally get there myself. (Next step: get to one of these Lewis grounds for a game, but not so easy!)

IMG_0061.jpeg

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

On our travels around the beaches of the top end of Lewis, we happened upon another ground at Ness FC. So we popped in, of course we did!

Seen this one loads of times, it has been on here often enough, but nice to finally get there myself. (Next step: get to one of these Lewis grounds for a game, but not so easy!)

IMG_0061.jpeg

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

Interesting as all this is. There's no games, so you're disqualified!

On 11/02/2024 at 18:16, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

We’re going up on Friday for a week. The football will probably start in mid April although it can be Baltic with postponements due to waterlogged pitches. A place like Fivepenny where Ness play can be amazing on the long summer nights. Even had the good luck to see Steve Paterson’s ICT play a friendly there after they won div 3. @sweeneyness was manager last year but they dispensed with his services. I think he was spreading himself rather thinly.

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

We’re going up on Friday for a week. The football will probably start in mid April although it can be Baltic with postponements due to waterlogged pitches. A place like Fivepenny where Ness play can be amazing on the long summer nights. Even had the good luck to see Steve Paterson’s ICT play a friendly there after they won div 3. @sweeneyness was manager last year but they dispensed with his services. I think he was spreading himself rather thinly.

I was going to call Ness FC “remote” in honour of Sweeney, just so he could come on here and reply “remote from where?”.

We’re leaving tomorrow (Calmac permitting). I’ll leave behind a pint of milk and a loaf of bread on the Seaforth for you!

Weather has been intolerable this week. Huisinis today was insufferable.

Back to random matches for me this weekend. It might very well be Royal Albert v Saltcoats Victoria, just to keep that holiday buzz going.

IMG_0188.jpeg

My camera is rubbish, but first time watching Rovers for ages. Tranmere Rovers vs Morecambe has had three goals in less than 14 minutes.  Great value, or English lower league defending?

32 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

My camera is rubbish, but first time watching Rovers for ages. Tranmere Rovers vs Morecambe has had three goals in less than 14 minutes.  Great value, or English lower league defending?

A million times better than any thing in Scotland. Allegedly 

Kelty Hearts 3-2 Edinburgh City

What to do on a Tuesday night in February? Watch the Champions League? Watch Great British Menu? Not us! We're at New Central Park for League One action.

We've been before at the very start of our groundhopping. A freezing cold Tuesday night, chucking it with rain and a big crowd. Same tonight minus the big crowd and thankfully the rain. 

Kelty have a chance of the playoffs Edinburgh are going down. Their well publicised financial problems sees them adrift at the bottom and League 2 is a certainty next year. The visitors took a surprise lead and matched Kelty for most of the first half but went in level. Two brilliant finishes from the excellent Joe McGlynn and Ross Cunningham sees a comfortable win for the hosts. 

The highlight of the day was the Steak Pie. Provided by the excellent Buffalo Farm at Auchtertool. A bit steep but exquisite. Very close to knocking Forres off top spot in scranary. 

Kelty is worth coming to. For the 42 or to watch football in Central Fife not at Cowdenbeath.

20240213_200951.jpg

20240213_201015.jpg

Armadale Thistle 4-0 Vale of Leithen (2-0 HT) @ Volunteer Park 🌱. 8pm. A bounce game tonight between 2 sides who will most likely swap ⬆️⬇️ divisions at the end of the season. The home side with 2 ⚽⚽️ goals in each half as they ran out comfortable winners in the end. Crowd 94. 

IMG_4264.jpeg

IMG_4265.jpeg

IMG_4266.jpeg

Tollcross Thistle 7-0 Kirkliston & South Queensferry (2-0 HT) @ Meadowbank Stadium 🌱. Logan Cup 🏆 R3. 8pm. The home side deserved progressed to R4 but did have to wait until the last 20 minutes to put the game to bed finally adding a 3rd and then 4 more 🔥. Crowd 16.

IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4324.jpeg

IMG_4325.jpeg