Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Rothes 2-3 Wick Academy 

Up to Moray to get another Highland League ground and surprised to find we were actually watching Dundee United v Manchester City. A bit of digging shows links between United and Rothes (floodlights and strips for Rothes originally came from Tanadice). Wick's away strip, who knows? Someone will.

Spent a lot of time in Moray, usually Elgin or Lossiemouth, Rothes was a black mark in the Groundhopping Annals. Rothes have done a fair bit of work to the excellently names Mackessack Park. This has however meant that this season will be "transitional" according to the chairman. Never the kind of talk fans want to hear. The early exchanges show why. Wick have by far the better of the early stages and are two ahead at half time. At the end of the first half the hosts are reduced to ten men after a "denying a clear goalscoring opportunity" red card. Things looked bleak for Rothes.

They however come roaring back in the second half, two inspired substitutions change the game. umber 14 up front and number... ehm his shirt didn't actually have a number, on the wing. Rothes salvage a draw after some refereeing help, an advantage for the first and a penalty for the second. However, as is so often the case in football, their efforts are in vain as Wick pinch it back with two minutes to go.

We loved it here. Lovely setting, hands down the nicest folk we've met in the 160 grounds we've visited and pies that were a work of art. A hot water shell, as one would expect, but a puff pastry top. Exquisite. Drop everything and come at your next opportunity. 

20240907_151704.jpg

20240907_151158.jpg

20240907_144120.jpg

20240907_152105.jpg

20240907_154433(0).jpg

20240907_155842.jpg

Glenrothes 2 v 1 St Andrews

First game at Warout today. 0-1 to St Andrews at HT. Early equaliser for Glens. Glens were reduced to 10 men for a second yellow, but got a soft late penalty to win the game. 

The Glens had a less than athletic looking goalie. Without wishing to be cruel he looked like a pub team player. Did okay though.

IMG_7945.jpeg

IMG_7941.jpeg

IMG_7942.jpeg

IMG_7944.jpeg

Haddington Athletic 0 v 0 Dunbar United East of Scotland Premier league. Decent game for a 0-0 with both sides being guilty of missing chances they should have put away. Steak pie was amazing and made up for not seeing any goals. 

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0090.jpeg

Edited by Jute

46 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

First game at Warout today. 0-1 to St Andrews at HT. Early equaliser for Glens. Glens were reduced to 10 men for a second yellow, but got a soft late penalty to win the game. 

The Glens had a less than athletic looking goalie. Without wishing to be cruel he looked like a pub team player. Did okay though.

IMG_7945.jpeg

IMG_7941.jpeg

IMG_7942.jpeg

IMG_7944.jpeg

Haha. That last picture of the goalie is class 

Kings Lynn Town 0-2 Curzon Ashton 

Att 1131 

Curzon take the points away with them. 

Nothing in the game really apart from the two goals. The first a nice free kick from just outside the box. Whether it actually was a free kick in the first place is debatable. 

The second an absolute piece of quality from Isaac Buckley-Ricketts, beautifully taking down a lovely crossfield pass out wide before cutting inside, beating his man and curling a lovely effort into the far side netting. Even a few of the home fans applauded. It was a lovely goal. 

Kings Lynn will rue the injury to front man Johnny Margetts after half a hour. They definitely lose their attacking edge when he doesn't play. Hopefully he'll recover for the FA Cup match next weekend. 

On 06/09/2024 at 00:51, GordonS said:

I felt that.

I had a similar quasi-religious response to Football Italia. Coincidentally, the first match they broadcast was a score draw involving Lazio, 3-3 at Sampdoria. It wasn't like watching football from a different country, compared with the Scottish Premier League it was like watching a different sport. Having been to Genoa and Turin for the World Cup three years earlier and already being a stadium nerd with a couple of Simon Inglis' books Italy seemed like the natural spiritual home of European football.

I've since been to the San Siro a couple of times, it's more than a stadium, it's a modern Coliseum. 

I'll never feel the same about any other league, Seviila, Betis and Valencia will never mean to me what Lazio, Sampdoria and Bari do. It's just... special.

Thanks for the long post and hope you get to the San Siro soon.

A religious experience is a great comparison. The irony being I started off my day at the Vatican. Not really my cup of tea. But I found my calling in the end. 😁

Edited by Connor1874

18 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Rothes 2-3 Wick Academy 

Up to Moray to get another Highland League ground and surprised to find we were actually watching Dundee United v Manchester City. A bit of digging shows links between United and Rothes (floodlights and strips for Rothes originally came from Tanadice). Wick's away strip, who knows? Someone will.

Spent a lot of time in Moray, usually Elgin or Lossiemouth, Rothes was a black mark in the Groundhopping Annals. Rothes have done a fair bit of work to the excellently names Mackessack Park. This has however meant that this season will be "transitional" according to the chairman. Never the kind of talk fans want to hear. The early exchanges show why. Wick have by far the better of the early stages and are two ahead at half time. At the end of the first half the hosts are reduced to ten men after a "denying a clear goalscoring opportunity" red card. Things looked bleak for Rothes.

They however come roaring back in the second half, two inspired substitutions change the game. umber 14 up front and number... ehm his shirt didn't actually have a number, on the wing. Rothes salvage a draw after some refereeing help, an advantage for the first and a penalty for the second. However, as is so often the case in football, their efforts are in vain as Wick pinch it back with two minutes to go.

We loved it here. Lovely setting, hands down the nicest folk we've met in the 160 grounds we've visited and pies that were a work of art. A hot water shell, as one would expect, but a puff pastry top. Exquisite. Drop everything and come at your next opportunity

I'm sure Rothes has 4 distilleries. Did you not get half pished on the fumes? I know I did.

Scottish Amateur Cup Rd 1.

Cupar Hearts 2 Corstorphine Dynamo 0. Duffus Park.

My mate's son plays for Dynamo so had a great day out in the bus with them and a few shandies. Pre-match in the Boudingait which had some fine ales, and hospitality post match in the Cross Keys.
Conrad Balatoni plays with Corstorphine too but sadly was unfit so only got on as a sub late on. Couldn't persuade him to sign for ICT.
Dynamo will regret missing chances first half and inevitably the holders scored twice in the second period to progress. Didn't prevent the team and supporters singing all the way home in the bus. Great day out.

IMG_9374.thumb.JPG.7f0b307284f9be3597f5049f41b1d9df.JPG

IMG_9376.thumb.JPG.6849b50e356a31b45e4870c3251b94d2.JPG

R5__8409.thumb.JPG.acb684f7069e3db9acbac4b19bde4574.JPG

R5__8391.thumb.JPG.b59e1d9d8ef25aff729b586a3f978651.JPG

R5__8419.thumb.JPG.686720e50503fa9d6c61054017acd991.JPG

Ayr United 3-2 Raith Rovers 

Yes we were in Rothes yesterday, yes we've probably over done it but the chance to see a big Fife team for £10 wasn't to be missed.

Just to prove there is no bias at Groundhopping towers we were in the home end. Rovers not having behind the goal and being more than 5ft 4 saw to that. Also gave us a chance to see the new stand up close. Massive congratulations to everyone involved. It's superb. The perfect way to bring an early 20th Century football ground into the 21st century. 

I don't think I would have wanted to be an Ayr player at half time. They were two-nil down and had hardly had a kick. However, whatever Scott Brown said seemed to work as they come roaring back, first from a penalty and the twice in a minute sees them turn the game round.

Thoroughly enjoyed the visit to Somerset. The attendance of 1700 odd showing the appeal of "diddy" games if priced correctly. The only cold drinks being capri son and a general lack of toilet facilities wasn't great but I'm sure it's to come. Well done Ayr, hope Rovers defense improves.

20240908_123730.jpg

20240908_124111.jpg

20240908_131428.jpg

20240908_132104.jpg

20240908_141715.jpg

20240908_142722.jpg

Following up on the Saturday Amateur Cup yesterday, decided to pop along the road where Loanhead Miners AFC of the LEAFA Sunday Div 1 beat Gallo AFC of the Championship 3-1. First time I've ever seen two sides wearing black...

IMG_9385.JPG.fa9037c0d3f9cb086ea8847822f57a5c.JPG

IMG_9386.JPG.d564587692c3c622cbba664915001c25.JPG

Saint George 1-2 Ethiopian Coffee

My chances of getting to an Ethiopian Premier League game in this lifetime are likely not very high, so I made my way into the US capital today to see two of the big Addis Ababa clubs closer to home. The DMV area has a big Ethiopian community and, despite the ridiculous ticket prices, a good crowd of something like 3-4000 turned out for this one (or at least had made it by half-time, as the one stand open was mostly empty at kickoff).

Ethiopian Coffee scored twice in the first 5 minutes, taking advantage of their opponents’ slackness. Saint George pulled one back early in the second half and pushed for an equaliser late on but it wasn’t to be. Some really nice individual play in this one mixed with some outrageous tackles and quite incredible slackness at times. The supporters of both teams provided a great atmosphere and the weather was perfect so, all in all, a nice afternoon out was had. First time I’ve seen a goalkeeper come up for a corner in a friendly too.

IMG_7449.thumb.jpeg.8a007b4e68cf9f2aa3e80f672e3ade27.jpeg

On 07/09/2024 at 16:54, Scary Bear said:

IMG_7945.jpeg

IMG_7941.jpeg

IMG_7942.jpeg

IMG_7944.jpeg

looks like "Dale the Whale" late of Lochore Welfare. A large chap but a decent keeper and a good guy. 

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

looks like "Dale the Whale" late of Lochore Welfare. A large chap but a decent keeper and a good guy. 

Ah right, didn’t think Fife would have two of them… he was good craic at Whitehill last season. I wonder if he fancies donning the Santa suit.

Edited by The Mantis

On 08/09/2024 at 17:50, The Mantis said:

Following up on the Saturday Amateur Cup yesterday, decided to pop along the road where Loanhead Miners AFC of the LEAFA Sunday Div 1 beat Gallo AFC of the Championship 3-1. First time I've ever seen two sides wearing black...

IMG_9385.JPG.fa9037c0d3f9cb086ea8847822f57a5c.JPG

IMG_9386.JPG.d564587692c3c622cbba664915001c25.JPG

That's one of the worst kit clashes I've ever seen.

sauchie.thumb.jpg.f373b5820292469219029fb256f26a5c.jpg

Sauchie 3 Dunipace 0 last night at picturesque Beechwood Park (a better Ochil View than Ochilview)

Sauchie were one of the pre-season favourites to win the East of Scotland League and enjoyed a fairly easy win over Dunipace with two headed goals and a penalty. A good crowd for a Wednesday night and I enjoyed my chicken pie from the pie shop. 

Royal Albert 1-2 Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 

South Challenge Cuo weekend again and a fairly rare journey to the West for us to the former home of Stonehouse Violet and the current home of Royal Albert (nothing to do with Hawick. ETA Hawick pinched their name according to @tamthebam). 

On paper Rob Roy were heavy favourites but football isn't played on paper (Jock Stein, Bill Shankly, Pele or whoever it was). The Tileworks was infamous until very recently of having infrastructure. Fortunately they now have access to the Sports club kitchen where they can serve Pies and Bovril etc. 

The game kicked off on time with a dribble of supporters still arriving due to major bother on the M74. Everyone in the sizable crowd saw a fiesty game with tackles and yellow cards flying everywhere. The remarkable thing was both players finished with 11 men. Young referee Nathan Deane did very well. Just about kept a lid on things and the second half was much calmer. Absolute scenes in the home end when the Forth division side take the lead and the upset is on the cards. The sizable Roy support however end up going home happy after a fantasticly struck equaliser and a goalkeeping fumble puts them through to round 3. Crucially for all of us the winner game inside 90 minutes so there was no extra time. 

Albert a building something. They're competitive on the park at a low level and Rob Roy are mightily relieved to get through. 

20240914_135844.jpg

20240914_140849.jpg

20240914_143654.jpg

20240914_144427.jpg

20240914_151140.jpg

20240914_151309.jpg

Edited by Groundhopping Adventures