Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran)

xbl

8 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If discussions with folk I know are anything to go by, the Arab/Israel conflict is an issue that most folk have a view on but the views are based on relatively little background knowledge.  I'm not setting myself up as any kind of middle east expert here; given it's importance, looking back, it was totally ignored when I was in school (mid 60s to mid 70s) and about all I can remember about school "history" would be about the French Revolution and the First World War.

I won't suggest for a minute that Wikipedia is the answer to that knowledge deficit but for anyone interested, here's a link to their summary (no doubt folk are working on updates.) -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab–Israeli_conflict

I referred a pal of mine to the page - before he saw it, he thought that it all kicked off because of the 6 Day War in 1967.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry, it's such a pity that the big guy upstairs wasn't a bit clearer in his real estate allocations.  

All you need to know is the Israelis are Rangers and the Palestinians are Celtic. Once you get that concept it's dead easy.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Over the coming weeks as this plays out we will undoubtedly witness the extreme bias of the MSM some of which will be subtle or unconscious to many.  Israeli combatants will be described as ‘soldiers’ whilst Palestinians as ‘militants’ without any recognition of oppressive role the IDF is tasked with.

Hamas are already taking hostages while the Israelis take prisoners. 

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Over the coming weeks as this plays out we will undoubtedly witness the extreme bias of the MSM some of which will be subtle or unconscious to many.  Israeli combatants will be described as ‘soldiers’ whilst Palestinians as ‘militants’ without any recognition of oppressive role the IDF is tasked with.

It's terrorists actually.

I'm also struggling to remember video interviews on the BBC where Palestinians are able to recount their stories of their neighbours and family being killed or the top 6 stories on the site given over to rocket launches and  IDF incursion into Gaza.

21 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's terrorists actually.

I'm also struggling to remember video interviews on the BBC where Palestinians are able to recount their stories of their neighbours and family being killed or the top 6 stories on the site given over to rocket launches and  IDF incursion into Gaza.

I’m struggling to understand this post.  Would you like to elucidate?

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

All you need to know is the Israelis are Rangers and the Palestinians are Celtic. Once you get that concept it's dead easy.

The Israelis will be struggling today after Rangers banner was focused on affairs in Ibrox and not a message of support.

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m struggling to understand this post.  Would you like to elucidate?

32 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

He's agreeing with you.

OK.  I must be struggling today as I have read it again and still don’t comprehend.

53 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

He's agreeing with you.

I never thought I would agree with vT about anything, but he encapsulated it perfectly with a post that he was quoted in earlier. The whole thing is utterly futile & Israel have become everything they have had to defend themselves against for Centuries.

Well, that’s some American citizens being reported as dead. US saying it will try to verify these deaths first, and then “make sure Israel has what it needs”.

Also, has Palestine been solely referred to as Gaza before in the news? Or is this a new thing?

Haven’t seen the nation been referred to by its name once in the headlines. 

Edited by SweeperDee

Being absolutely bombarded by Israeli government propaganda on YouTube all day - seems like every advert is stark messages about how they're under attack and need support, underscored by footage of mangled bodies and crying children.

Just now, BFTD said:

Being absolutely bombarded by Israeli government propaganda on YouTube all day - seems like every advert is stark messages about how they're under attack and need support, underscored by footage of mangled bodies and crying children.

Yup, shite from Channels/Profiles I’ve never had an incline of looking at, suddenly popping up all over the place on pretty much every platform. Utter nonsense.

Just now, BFTD said:

One of the massively promoted social media posts was from something like.

Truth News, or something equally crazy talking about how Israel are the peaceful side in all this or some equal nonsense. Proper Cheryl Cole moment.

War is stupid, 2 state solution needed, however is impossible.