Pregnancy And Parenting

Ruaridh is an absolute smasher these days. Very happy and enjoying the last few months before he starts walking.

Today he shat in his high chair. He's decided at some point to go down to one shite a day and they are horrendous. This one came out up the front of his nappy and onto his belly. I shouted mum to give me a hand and while I was holding him up he picked a chunk of carrot that was on his belly.

He ate the shite carrot. That carrot, fucking value for money.

f5dffbfa04f3a0e4aad1d222d96d5276.jpg

Our wee 2 month old girl screams herself to sleep. She screams when she is hungry. She screams if you lie her down and she isn't ready to sleep.
Its really hard just now. Just venting really but it's uncomfortable to see her like that.
Doctor changed her milk and it seems a bit better but I still dont think it's normal.

43 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Our wee 2 month old girl screams herself to sleep. She screams when she is hungry. She screams if you lie her down and she isn't ready to sleep.
Its really hard just now. Just venting really but it's uncomfortable to see her like that.
Doctor changed her milk and it seems a bit better but I still dont think it's normal.

Try keeping for awake for longer intervals between sleeps.   That way she'll be tired and will welcome the nap.   

3 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Has she been given anything for reflux?

When my wife was pregnant with our daughter we had a standing joke that if the baby coughed at birth then it was going back in. She coughed 3 times! Everything seemed great until she was about 3 month old and then she started getting a little bit lethargic at times. One Saturday afternoon I was watching soccer Saturday and she had been crying quite a bit, then she went quiet. Happy days I thought as I was getting peace to watch the telly. Then the nightmare began. It was very difficult to get her to waken up so it was a mad dash to the sick kids. At first they diagnosed her with reflux and then we spent the next 18 months in and out of hospital every other week as she got very sick and then a bit better then sick again. We even had to cancel a holiday on the morning of departure as she fell ill again and the docs said it was a no no as far as insurance was concerned. Eventually the docs were able to diagnose that her ureters leading from her bladder to her kidneys were not connected so every time that she done a pee, it just went inside her and basically poisoned her. They could not operate on her until she was at least 2 year old as she would not be big enough to survive the operation. When they took her down to theatre my wife and I were pretty much resigned to the fact that we would not see her again. When she came back she had a large scar across her lower abdomen and 3 drainage tubes coming out of her along with a couple of drips attached. I reckon we both cried a lifetime worth of tears looking at her lying in bed afterwards.

Then, she done what most kids do, she made an utter arse of the pair of us! When she awoke the next day, she was straight out of her bed then onto a little tricycle and off racing down the ward with me in hot pursuit pushing her drip stands behind her. The resilience of children knows no bounds.

She now has 2 kids of her own but her kidneys have limited function, the docs say that between the 2 of them they are virtually only 1 but she is managing fine. 

The basic upshot of this story is that no matter how much you worry about your kids at times, they are far more resilient than you think.

When my wife was pregnant with our daughter we had a standing joke that if the baby coughed at birth then it was going back in. She coughed 3 times! Everything seemed great until she was about 3 month old and then she started getting a little bit lethargic at times. One Saturday afternoon I was watching soccer Saturday and she had been crying quite a bit, then she went quiet. Happy days I thought as I was getting peace to watch the telly. Then the nightmare began. It was very difficult to get her to waken up so it was a mad dash to the sick kids. At first they diagnosed her with reflux and then we spent the next 18 months in and out of hospital every other week as she got very sick and then a bit better then sick again. We even had to cancel a holiday on the morning of departure as she fell ill again and the docs said it was a no no as far as insurance was concerned. Eventually the docs were able to diagnose that her ureters leading from her bladder to her kidneys were not connected so every time that she done a pee, it just went inside her and basically poisoned her. They could not operate on her until she was at least 2 year old as she would not be big enough to survive the operation. When they took her down to theatre my wife and I were pretty much resigned to the fact that we would not see her again. When she came back she had a large scar across her lower abdomen and 3 drainage tubes coming out of her along with a couple of drips attached. I reckon we both cried a lifetime worth of tears looking at her lying in bed afterwards.
Then, she done what most kids do, she made an utter arse of the pair of us! When she awoke the next day, she was straight out of her bed then onto a little tricycle and off racing down the ward with me in hot pursuit pushing her drip stands behind her. The resilience of children knows no bounds.
She now has 2 kids of her own but her kidneys have limited function, the docs say that between the 2 of them they are virtually only 1 but she is managing fine. 
The basic upshot of this story is that no matter how much you worry about your kids at times, they are far more resilient than you think.

Great story in the end and glad it worked out for you. It must have been terrible. I can't imagine.

Our wee one started school last week. She's been looking forward to it for months and spent most of the summer holidays babbling excitedly about it.

Unfortunately, it's turned into an absolute nightmare.

We were assured by our local council that because of her autism she would not be considered at a place at a mainstream school. She went to nursery at a school with an autism base. Logically we felt she would have started there.

Nope, she's been put in a mainstream class. No support and she's in there with 20-odd other kids. She's 5, and is still in nappies, still takes a dummy from time to time to settle her, can't put her coat on. Can't to anything a neurotypical child could do.

She's completely lost, the poor lamb, and is spending all day howling to come home. She's just sitting in the playground herself at interval, on her own. She's so unhappy at home, unsettled, and hasn't been sleeping.

Utterly heartbreaking.

My wife is a teacher and says you've to use the Getting It Right For Every Child (GIRFEC) document to get this addressed. (It applies in Scotland). If you google it it will give you advice and guidance on how to go about getting her sorted out. She mentioned something about a my world triangle as well. Hope you get her situation sorted quickly.

46 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

My wife is a teacher and says you've to use the Getting It Right For Every Child (GIRFEC) document to get this addressed. (It applies in Scotland). If you google it it will give you advice and guidance on how to go about getting her sorted out. She mentioned something about a my world triangle as well. Hope you get her situation sorted quickly.

My wife and I are both teachers so we're on top of it as much as we can be, fighting it every way. It's just the waiting that's killing us.

1 hour ago, Rowan said:

Unfortunately you have to basically sit on top of local authorities to ensure appropriate placement and support. I presume edu psyc are involved? 

Yup. Ed Psych, SALT, the full works.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Our wee one started school last week. She's been looking forward to it for months and spent most of the summer holidays babbling excitedly about it.

We were assured by our local council that because of her autism she would not be considered at a place at a mainstream school. She went to nursery at a school with an autism base. Logically we felt she would have started there.

Nope, she's been put in a mainstream class. No support and she's in there with 20-odd other kids. She's 5, and is still in nappies, still takes a dummy from time to time to settle her, can't put her coat on. Can't to anything a neurotypical child could do.

She's completely lost, the poor lamb, and is spending all day howling to come home. She's just sitting in the playground herself at interval, on her own. She's so unhappy at home, unsettled, and hasn't been sleeping.

Utterly heartbreaking.

That's fucking awful. You have to question the logic in the decision making process here. Good luck with getting it sorted out, Gaz.

Heartbreaking story gaz.

Our wee one started p1 last week too but we've been lucky.

You guys are obviously doing everything possible and like everyone else here - I'm hoping it sorts itself soon. If anything, try to take a bit of consolation from the previous story. The wee people are so, so resilient.

29 minutes ago, Gaz said:

My wife and I are both teachers so we're on top of it as much as we can be, fighting it every way. It's just the waiting that's killing us.

"Fighting it every way" Unfortunately this is what you have to do Gaz. Our council wanted to put my granddaughter into a unit at a mainstream school which was in our opinion inappropriate, integrating her at assemblies, events etc. A meeting was held with the powers that be and her mum and gran, needless to say it was scrapped as my wife and daughter in law run circles round them. It's a fight we could have done without but a fight that needed fought. Just over the border There's a school which is tailor made for her needs, she's got her place and in her own little way is thriving. Keep fighting bud

Utterly heartbreaking.

That's a fucking tough read Gaz. I can only imagine and sympathise with what it's like for you and your missus at the moment. Sent you a PM.

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

Yup. Ed Psych, SALT, the full works.

So are authority just being wide not placing her appropriately to try and save money?

My friend teaches in complex special needs, kids with 2 or more difficulties. Many in wheelchairs etc. She was in Glasgow city school where they're trying to integrate every child into mainstream. She says they're trying the impossible as many these kids also had complex medical needs. 

6 hours ago, Rowan said:

So are authority just being wide not placing her appropriately to try and save money?

My friend teaches in complex special needs, kids with 2 or more difficulties. Many in wheelchairs etc. She was in Glasgow city school where they're trying to integrate every child into mainstream. She says they're trying the impossible as many these kids also had complex medical needs. 

It's all about money