Quick Question Thread

17 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Countdown numbers round. If you can get the number = 10 points. If you are 1 out, you get seven points.

But what if the generated number isn't achievable. Surely being 1 out should get you 10 points as it's the best you can do ?

Only asking this dull question as the scenario just came up on 8 out of 10 cats and the flaw was bugging me.

I'd say it's only once in a blue moon it's not actually possible. Except when some p***k chooses 4 big numbers. 

You could argue the same for the letters round. You get 18 points for a 9 letter word, but only 8 points for an 8 letter word - and often a 9 letter word isn't available. 

Oh, and re: numbers round. Not posted this in a couple of years:

Despite (somehow) having an A in Higher Maths, I can't even solve the most basic of equations anymore (classic case of 'use it or lose it'). :(

If I have the equation (100*a) / (a+b) = c then how can I rearrange this to repeatedly calculate a if I know both b & c?

Really complex stuff, I know.

8 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

100a/(a+b) = c

100a = (a+b)c

100a = ac + bc

100a - ac = bc

a(100-c) = bc

a = bc/(100-c)

Cheers Ser.  :)

Page bookmarked so that if work ever say that P&B is detrimental to work, I can get them telt.

Is it just me that's absolutely lost with all that maths shite up there?

I used to be quite confident about that stuff, it was calculus that fried my brain and made me give up on maths. "approaching infinity", wtf does that mean? Basic arithmetic is my limit now, and a struggle without a calculator.

I know it's been on here before but this was always my favourite countdown moment  :  

Just a five Richard: Meths

Eta: posted that having only seen the preview image. Just watched it properly now. [emoji38]

Did wonder why they didn't have their feet up with hands behind their heads during the countdown.

Last time I looked at GCSE Maths and Chemistry exam papers they might as well have been written in Swahili for the amount I understood of them. How can I remember so little of them whereas stuff like French pretty much stays with you?

16 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Last time I looked at GCSE Maths and Chemistry exam papers they might as well have been written in Swahili for the amount I understood of them. 

I know you're (a lot) younger than me.  I did SCSE Maths at Higher (in 1976) but my big yin did GCSE Maths 2 years ago and my middle one will sit it next week.

When I read the past papers to help me eldest I was initially baffled except for some of the algebra questions.  I spent 3 evenings using Youtube as a resource and it's not actually that hard.  She went from a predicted E to scraping a C.  I was proud as f**k!

Edited by The_Kincardine