Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I think you need a bespoke power supply.

My neighbour bought a new electric car earlier this year and it took a day for the power supply to be sorted so he can park in his driveway and charge it overnight. 

You can also charge it up at various power points dotted around in car parks and the like. 

Thanks. Are these power points simply on "if it's free you can use it" basis and how long does a full charge take?

53 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

And if it causes a fire, don't bother trying to claim on your house insurance.

Yikes!

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

Was just looking at hiring a car for my trip across in June next year. Almost 2000 quid for 20 odd days. Ridiculous. 

Try van hire places. A lot of them have the odd motor. We were getting quoted 2.5k for 3 weeks from the Hertz, Enterprise and Arnold Clark. Wife phoned a van hire place in Kirkcaldy and they quoted us 800 for a Kia Stoniq; had a look and it wasn’t quite big enough. Phoned a place in Dunfermline and they gave us an XCeed for 850. 

ETA - Aspire Van Hire. Bloke’s name’s Gavin, he’s sound. They have a Sportage as well but we were late enough (about four weeks pre-trip) that it had already gone for the duration of us being back. 

Edited by carpetmonster

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Would I be correct in assuming that when multi billion pound supermarkets encourage me to donate to charity at the end of my shop that they in fact claim that donation as their own and probably have tome tax scam going as part of it too?

Usually the donation’s already been made and they’re trying to claw it back out from the punter. 

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Would I be correct in assuming that when multi billion pound supermarkets encourage me to donate to charity at the end of my shop that they in fact claim that donation as their own and probably have tome tax scam going as part of it too?

This is fucking everywhere now. "Would you like to donate/round up your payment... etc for charity". Supermarket self-service checkouts, terminals when you pay by card in petrol stations, online checkouts of virtually every big retailer. Not one of them ever mentions which charity, so they can all politely f**k the f**k off. Chancers. 

42 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

This is fucking everywhere now. "Would you like to donate/round up your payment... etc for charity". Supermarket self-service checkouts, terminals when you pay by card in petrol stations, online checkouts of virtually every big retailer. Not one of them ever mentions which charity, so they can all politely f**k the f**k off. Chancers. 

Some of them do tbf, but the petrol station one does annoy me. "Would you like to donate 25p to charity" 

Pull the other one m9

11 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Looking at hire cars over there for the Christmas period and the cheapest by far are electric cars from Hertz. Having never driven one I have no idea about the logistics and having heard nothing but negativity about them I'm a bit sceptical.

Can you charge it from your house overnight (from a conventional socket) or does it have to be a car charging point. How easy/convenient is this?

Hertz themselves says an hour hooked up to a mains socket adds perhaps 6-8 miles of range, so you might get 60-100 miles of range overnight. They recommend it only for local rental or short trips. They also have a map of their charging stations, but they don’t always work and aren’t always available. 

https://www.hertz.co.uk/p/electric-vehicles/how-to-charge-an-electric-car/

Unsaid is the fact that low temperatures reduce battery efficiency and increase power usage to warm the batteries/car, thus reducing range and increasing the need to recharge it even more. Hertz also, at least in the U.S., also charges a fee if you return the electric car at 70% charge or less. There’s also the question of how long a cable does Hertz provide you…and what gauge of cable would you need to get the “best” charge from a socket?

9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Incredibly niche, but anyone know of anywhere that does embroidery southside of Edinburgh, ideally Bruntsfield/Morningside area?

I have no idea if they do or not but you could try Lu's Tailors in Clerk Street. 

On 28/09/2023 at 04:28, Bert Raccoon said:

I've never been called up either. Always assumed it was in relation to the caution I received in 2001 for drinking in the street 

Nope, I was called in 1998 and selected on a attempted murder trial of a police office.  The accused obviousley got let off😎. However still got sent down for about 10 other charges.