Quick Question Thread

If the first named storm of the year was on the 27th/28th September, and the second named one is on the way at the end of this week, was the weather event that flooded some towns, cancelled some fitba, decimated fields of crops, and brought traffic chaos and stopped rail travel in Scotland just "bad weather"?

1 hour ago, Dan Steele said:

If the first named storm of the year was on the 27th/28th September, and the second named one is on the way at the end of this week, was the weather event that flooded some towns, cancelled some fitba, decimated fields of crops, and brought traffic chaos and stopped rail travel in Scotland just "bad weather"?

Yes.

I’ve always wanted to correctly answer a question in this thread and now I have.

2 hours ago, Dan Steele said:

Names storms relate to wind speed only, hence "Best from the east" was never formally named as it caused chaos but wasn't windy.

The first storm of the year dumped a month's worth of rain in a single day and this incoming one is 200mm in a similarly short period. Weather will get more extreme as the climate changes.

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

Family Link, let's you keep eye on where they are too.

And possibly the best feature it plays a sound when they inevitably forget where they left it and they're storming round house in bad mood!!

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I think the phone itself matters less now, with such an app to do the shit I thought I needed the phone to do. Cheers 

Family link is decent but has limitations. My 13yo seems to have figured out how to circumvent every restriction except a remote change to her screen lock code, but can still take calls with her screen locked. 

17 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Meant to be hosting a work dinner next year and need a good speaker or entertainment. Last year I had a gospel choir that went down really well and everyone loved and I don't know how to top it. Anyone seen any good speakers lately? 

This guy’s got a whole bunch of entertaining stories, they’re a bit far fetched though.

Not sure about his availability for next year.

IMG_1748.gif.c87826cca4bb1ea85fab39701e12d65e.gif

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Meant to be hosting a work dinner next year and need a good speaker or entertainment. Last year I had a gospel choir that went down really well and everyone loved and I don't know how to top it. Anyone seen any good speakers lately? 

Steer well clear of Tam McManus and Tam Cowan.

3 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My brother hired Neil Warnock and he cancelled at the last minute. Maybe best to avoid him. 

And - despite being a Bairn - he has hired Jim Leishman more than once. Speaks highly of him. 

10 minutes ago, supermik said:

Lee del

German girl I work with is overly adamant about this in the UK, and with good reason tbf.  However, I couldn't help but laugh when Lidl brought out that "Middle of Lidl" advert tagline as it drove a bus right through her argument.

The smug "actually, it's Hyoon-day" bint can get a kick in the pie though.