Quick Question Thread

Are there any other P&B weirdos out there that can mirror write without having to think about it?  

If using my left hand (I'm right handed btw), I struggle not to mirror write with it, and that can be in joined up form too.

Handy for spelling things on the interior of shop windows, although I don't work in a shop.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Are there any other P&B weirdos out there that can mirror write without having to think about it?  

If using my left hand (I'm right handed btw), I struggle not to mirror write with it, and that can be in joined up form too.

Handy for spelling things on the interior of shop windows, although I don't work in a shop.

All makes sense now

E3NZym2VcAMeytP.jpeg.jpg

5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Is there any compensation rules for flights outside of the UK/EU? Flight back from Singapore a few days ago was delayed 3 hours, so missed connection and arrived home about 7 hours after original flight time, but can’t find any conclusive information online if there’s compensation for that?

I don't think you're covered through UK legislation, and the minimum delay you can claim for with long haul flights is usually 4 hours, but if you booked both legs of your flights through Qatar you might be able to claim directly from them due to you arriving 7 hours late. Don't fancy your chances but no harm in firing off an email.

On 12/11/2023 at 10:46, Salt n Vinegar said:

I appreciate that this question is addressed to a fairly niche audience, but here goes...

Do any P&Bers have the books that accompany the "Speak Gaelic" TV series and if so is it just a collection of the worksheets and supporting info that's on the website or does it contain other learning aids? I was about to order them but will save my loot if it's all on-line.

Slàinte!

Tha e an aon rud. Its the same thing. You can print it off free.

Why do some downpipes extend up like this, whereas others just stay flush with the gutter?

20231116_074642.thumb.jpg.6e8ffb334c6721b1fe68963b0ebe4b89.jpg

Of the 2 at the back of my house, this is 1, the other is flush.

My neighbour on one side, both their pipes are extended up and beyond the gutter, neighbour on the other, neither are. So I can't work it out due to lack of pattern.

11 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Why do some downpipes extend up like this, whereas others just stay flush with the gutter?

My neighbour on one side, both their pipes are extended up and beyond the gutter, neighbour on the other, neither are. So I can't work it out due to lack of pattern.

Is that one actually connected to the gutter?  It doesn't look like it so I wonder what purpose it serves unless the gutter down pipe is at the other end and that's connected to a drain further down for some reason.

ETA - Just to be clear, I am not a professional plumber. 

Edited by hk blues

9 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Waste hot water drainage?

Let off some steam, Bennett.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Could be a soil gas vent, these need to be raised a certain amount above any windows. 

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

I think it's simply as a pointer for the roofer to remind him where that single, faded tile is that needs replacing.

(Don't know why that's getting me more than the extended pipe).

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

That's a vent pipe, it obviously vents drain smells and needs to be about a vertical metre above any openable window.

It's main feature is to allow atmospheric pressure to act on what you put down the drain  

If it weren't there, your drains could act as if they were blocked. 

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

That's a vent pipe, it obviously vents drain smells and needs to be about a vertical metre above any openable window.

It's main feature is to allow atmospheric pressure to act on what you put down the drain  

Soil vent stack. As Zen says, needs to be min. 900mm vertically above window.

Plumber obviously decided on the easiest, quickest & ugliest solution when he could easily have swung the pipe round onto the gable.

5 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

So my neighbour, who doesn't have one of these contraptions, is fucked?

3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Plumber obviously decided on the easiest, quickest & ugliest solution when he could easily have swung the pipe round onto the gable.

Persimmon built, enough said.

Edited by Boghead ranter