Quick Question Thread

Anyone know any really cheap car rental places?

I'm looking for somewhere that rent out for about £20 a day.

Enterprise sometimes do it for about that over a weekend. Used to be a place in Aberdeen called Rent A Wreck, think it's closed now.

Has anyone ever just held their hands up to starting a fight in Manchester?

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/polish-ultras-blamed-for-outbreak-of-violence-between-sevilla-and-man-city-fans/20702

I think that happened to a few Chelsea and Linfield fans at the 2008 UEFA Cup Final ;)

If someone says a joke/incident "went down like a lead balloon" this means it didn't go down well, but if you were to fill a balloon with lead and drop it it would go down very well, why is this?

I've often wondered that myself. Ditto, "that went down like a burning lift".

That's why I prefer to use the phrase "That went down like a cup of cold sick".

If someone says a joke/incident "went down like a lead balloon" this means it didn't go down well, but if you were to fill a balloon with lead and drop it it would go down very well, why is this?

I've never thought of that before. I'm going to publicly humiliate the next person that says it.

It seems that the correct phrase is actually 'go over like a lead balloon' and us Brits don't use the term 'go over', so instead we have made the entire phrase nonsensical by using 'went down' in its place.

See also "slept like a baby" to denote sleeping well.

I don't have any kids, but I'm led to believe that babies generally aren't very good at sleeping for long periods, wake up screaming, and tend to soil themselves overnight. I've had those nights as well, but wouldn't describe them as sleeping like a baby.

I've often wondered that myself. Ditto, "that went down like a burning lift".

That's why I prefer to use the phrase "That went down like a cup of cold sick".

A good one, Cardinal.

I now use "went down like a shit sandwich" now.

See also "slept like a baby" to denote sleeping well.

I don't have any kids, but I'm led to believe that babies generally aren't very good at sleeping for long periods, wake up screaming, and tend to soil themselves overnight. I've had those nights as well, but wouldn't describe them as sleeping like a baby.

Depends. The McCann kids slept really well.

Anyone sharpened their scissors by cutting strips out of aluminium foil folded over several times?

Got a few blunt pairs, and I see the internet recommends this as a solution.