Quick Question Thread

This may be the most boring quick question in the history of this thread, but here goes:

A bit of background before the question.  We have a flat in Glasgow that we currently rent out.  It's a 5 bedroom flat with a bathroom and a shower room.  The shower room was a bit of a mess when we got it and leaked into the neighbour downstairs kitchen.  We got it done up about 6 years ago and never thought any more about it.  The neighbour downstairs continued to get some water in periodically despite me resealing the shower etc.  It's now got to the stage where she's getting water in everytime they use the shower upstairs.  We've used a company for various things over the years and asked them to come up and have a look, and they've pretty much said that to get to the bottom of it might need the whole shower being ripped out and maybe some of the kitchen floor through the wall to get to the waste.  There's also an extra problem of the waste in the shower backing up as there isn't enough of a run on the waste pipe, so we'd need to get that fixed too.

All of this needs done, but my thinking is that rather than spend a small fortune on top of it then getting the shower room redone, with no real guarantee that a leak may not happen again, i'm proposing that we rip the whole thing out and turn that room into a small office and rip the bath out in the bathroom and install a walk in shower in there.

My wife thinks this will seriously affect the value of the flat, but I don't really think it will.

My quick question for any estate agenty types:  Will it?

This may be the most boring quick question in the history of this thread, but here goes:

A bit of background before the question.  We have a flat in Glasgow that we currently rent out.  It's a 5 bedroom flat with a bathroom and a shower room.  The shower room was a bit of a mess when we got it and leaked into the neighbour downstairs kitchen.  We got it done up about 6 years ago and never thought any more about it.  The neighbour downstairs continued to get some water in periodically despite me resealing the shower etc.  It's now got to the stage where she's getting water in everytime they use the shower upstairs.  We've used a company for various things over the years and asked them to come up and have a look, and they've pretty much said that to get to the bottom of it might need the whole shower being ripped out and maybe some of the kitchen floor through the wall to get to the waste.  There's also an extra problem of the waste in the shower backing up as there isn't enough of a run on the waste pipe, so we'd need to get that fixed too.

All of this needs done, but my thinking is that rather than spend a small fortune on top of it then getting the shower room redone, with no real guarantee that a leak may not happen again, i'm proposing that we rip the whole thing out and turn that room into a small office and rip the bath out in the bathroom and install a walk in shower in there.

My wife thinks this will seriously affect the value of the flat, but I don't really think it will.

My quick question for any estate agenty types:  Will it?

Long winded questions thread for this pish

Sent from a dark, dank hellhole.

A shower swapped for an office when you already have 5 bedrooms will reduce the value of the flat. Dismantle the room yourself to save money and get tiles put down and a new shower and sort out what is wrong.

8 minutes ago, throbber said:

A shower swapped for an office when you already have 5 bedrooms will reduce the value of the flat. Dismantle the room yourself to save money and get tiles put down and a new shower and sort out what is wrong.

I'll tackle most things, or at least give them a go, plumbing is not one of them.

I'll tackle most things, or at least give them a go, plumbing is not one of them.

Do you have anyone that could do it as a homer? If you can cut the water off to the shower then dismantling it shouldn't be that hard and if you can get access to a van then disposing of the stuff to a dump will be half the battle. few cheap tiles and do that yourself to save money then leave the tricky parts to a plumber but you can still keep the costs down. What flooring do you have down in the room?

Just now, throbber said:

Do you have anyone that could do it as a homer? If you can cut the water off to the shower then dismantling it shouldn't be that hard and if you can get access to a van then disposing of the stuff to a dump will be half the battle. few cheap tiles and do that yourself to save money then leave the tricky parts to a plumber but you can still keep the costs down. What flooring do you have down in the room?

The company that do the work for us do it on a "labour only" job.  We get all the parts etc ourselves and they provide the guys to do the job.  So I wouldn't be saving any rather than getting them to do it.

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The company that do the work for us do it on a "labour only" job.  We get all the parts etc ourselves and they provide the guys to do the job.  So I wouldn't be saving any rather than getting them to do it.

Get one of the current tenants to take their 'security hammer' into the shower, and accidentally drop it, cracking the shower tray.  Thus causing the lot having to be ripped out and replaced.

#insurancejob

5 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I've never really had a reason to look into it or exactly how they work, but can't you install one of these sani-flow waste water pumps to divert the waste to a further away section of the waste-pipe if you're concerned of it backing up?

I seen something on TV ages ago and they effectively let you install a bathroom anywhere apparently...

We already have a sani-flo.  The secondary problem is that it's not connected to the waste far enough away, so when the kitchen sink empties or the dishwaasher is on you occasionally get water backing up out of it.

10 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Get one of the current tenants to take their 'security hammer' into the shower, and accidentally drop it, cracking the shower tray.  Thus causing the lot having to be ripped out and replaced.

#insurancejob

To be honest, the current tenants are a pair of fucking zoomers.  They're like the "Modern Parents" from the Viz come to life.  The guy is a about one cheeky text message away from being ejected down the stairs with a physical warning.

Just now, throbber said:

Do you do private letting KB or is it through an agency? Are you planning on selling the property?

Private.  We did the first year through an agency, but they were taking money off us for doing f**k all, so I took it on myself.  Not really planning on selling, no.

Private.  We did the first year through an agency, but they were taking money off us for doing f**k all, so I took it on myself.  Not really planning on selling, no.

Best way probably but as you have said about this guy being a c**t then you need to deal
With him yourself rather than the agency do it!

Maybe just eject this guy, get the work done and then weigh up the asking price for next tenant with the price of the works so it's worthwhile.

Just now, throbber said:

Best way probably but as you have said about this guy being a c**t then you need to deal
With him yourself rather than the agency do it!

Maybe just eject this guy, get the work done and then weigh up the asking price for next tenant with the price of the works so it's worthwhile.

Scarily, we're on the same wavelength.  I suggested to my wife that we punt them out, get the work done then get it back on the market and up the monthly rent (which we should be doing anyway as I reckon we could be asking for an extra £200 a month), but my wife is of the opinion that we have tenants in that pay their rent on time and don't cause too many problems, apart from him being a cock.

I was going to suggest asking for £100 a month extra as a ball park figure and then you can do the maths for yourself as to how long it will take for the new works to pay off! Your Mrs is right enough but being a typical woman and refusing to take a slight risk on anything!