Quick Question Thread

1 minute ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Make sure you wear a headband, a wristband on your racquet arm, and those clear plastic eye goggles. Not only will you cut a fine figure, your opponent will assume you are a serious player.

You'll have already beaten him/her mentally without a ball being struck.

That's a good plan. I'd decided I was going to wear a vest tonight so will grab some of my daughter's swimming goggles too. Should be enough to intimidate him.

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

That's a good plan. I'd decided I was going to wear a vest tonight so will grab some of my daughter's swimming goggles too. Should be enough to intimidate him.

Don't wear shorts.  Just the vest and goggles and baws oot.  Shandon Par wins.

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Don't wear shorts.  Just the vest and goggles and baws oot.  Shandon Par wins.

Sure fire victory from squash court to sheriffs court IMHO. 

Never tried it, I hate squash.  

G-Bo(re)

40 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Does anyone have any tips on how to be less pish at Squash? I like my opponent so punching him is out. 

I was once soundly beaten by a squash-playing mate, and only in the last 5 mins of the let he shared this tip with me.  Rather than holding your racquet so that it is square on when you hit the ball, turn it to a very slight angle in your hand, so that when you hit the ball, you're actually putting backspin on the ball.  Then the ball comes off the wall at a steeper downwards angle than you would expect, and makes it harder for your opponent to judge/return.

Edited by Boghead ranter

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

Not any different to renting to anyone else ? I have a friend who rents like this and the money seems to be guranteed as comes straight from the council?

I need to find out more about how it works. Few things to do to house ( that's if I get it today) so be a few month until I rent out

Not sure how rent direct works anymore, but you'll get plenty of takers. Call the council, they might pay you direct if you let them use it for a refuge/safe house type thing.

12 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Not any different to renting to anyone else ? I have a friend who rents like this and the money seems to be guranteed as comes straight from the council?

I need to find out more about how it works. Few things to do to house ( that's if I get it today) so be a few month until I rent out

Have you registered with the local authority as a landlord?

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Got a pal who works for the housing benefit, she was telling me they had a tenant that used to get put into a private let, and the benefit paid straight to the landlord.  Tenant would basically abuse the place & wreck it until landlord told cooncil that he didn't want the tenant any more, due to repair cost.  Cooncil would then be duty bound to rehouse the tenant, usually in another private let, but due to some data protection issue, couldn't warn the new landlord of previous history, even though they knew what was going to happen.  And the cycle went on and on like that.

Grampian fire service had white ones because apparently a study showed that white or yellow were the easiest colours to see at high speed, and since they arrived white it made no sense to paint them.

They're starting to get rid of them now since all the regional devices merged.

Alright, own up, who's Dave Ridgard on here? I was just reading through some super seething comments on a video of a guy going about cutting people's selfie sticks in half as they take pictures, and Dave commented that he is a "cockwombling thundercunt". 

Step forward and collect your prize, Dave.

5 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

This question could be worded wrong so forgive me in advance.
If you own a property how do you go about getting dss tenants ?

I had DSS in mine, fuckers they were I got £300 deposit off them but the c**t must have kept having trouble with the housing ben', oh & it took a while before the council paid it straight to me, I think it goes straight to the claimant at first & they only intervene when you prove to them you aren't getting any rent in. I'd get a letter off housing ben every couple of months to say they'd stopped it but then he'd get it reinstated but not backdated. So every few months I'd be our of pocket. I stopped doing repairs so he'd find somewhere else, I gave him a glowing reference but not his deposit back. The state the place was left in was disgusting, he'd just dumped his black bin bags in the back yard, too fucking bone idle to put the bins out on bin day. 

I'd very wary of taking DSS again. 

You will be inundated with offers. I advertised mine on gumtree. 

In fact have a look on gumtree for the area your place is in & see if there's something similar, give them a ring & say your interested but you are DSS & ask if anyone else is interested in the place? 

G-Bo(re) 

Will see what the script is. To be honest I haven't heard a good story yet come out of dss. Only thing I presumed was that you were guranteed the money from the council and payments wouldn't be an issue. Clearly wrong

You're maybe getting jumbled between regular tenants who get housing benefits (like Glasgow one of mine I mentioned or as Grimbo describes) and handing the place over to a council-contracted housing association. They take the place off you at an agreed price for 3 or 5 years and you don't really know what goes on in the place - you just get your dosh.

Will see what the script is. To be honest I haven't heard a good story yet come out of dss. Only thing I presumed was that you were guranteed the money from the council and payments wouldn't be an issue. Clearly wrong

Have you bought a flat to rent out without even bothering to learn how to put it up for rent?